Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Stitch in time...

Westcoaster

Country Flag
scotland
Thought I would show you some work I've had done to try to keep my old girl on the road, this is the first part of work on the rear arches and rear lower panels....

Near side rear pic 01.jpg
Near side rear pic 02.jpg
Near side rear pic 03.jpg
Near side rear pic 06.jpg
Near side rear pic 07.jpg
Near side rear pic 09.jpg

The drivers side (Right or Offside) was in better condition and wasn't needing welded at this time.
Off side rear Pic 01.jpg
Off side rear pic  02.jpg
Near side rear pic 01.jpg
Near side rear pic 02.jpg
Near side rear pic 03.jpg
Near side rear pic 06.jpg
Near side rear pic 07.jpg
Near side rear pic 09.jpg
Off side rear Pic 01.jpg
Off side rear pic  02.jpg

Last edited:
Next job early in the New Year will be replacement rear arch panels, they're currently stuck in Poland in transit, sigh!

All work in the photos has been carried out by Davey Wren from Oban, top bloke!

That's a good job - one I've got to do in the New Year (both sides).

I've also got to patch the front passenger footwell, without setting the heap on fire (rubber matting and electrical gubbins on the inside).

I keep putting it off as I hate bodywork :doh:.

Other things to do as well, like re-fitting the towbar and spare wheel carrier and doing a better job on the towing socket electrics (trailer fog light never worked).

One day it will emerge ready for the road.

Bob.

A little update on the work started before Xmas, the fronts of the rear arches are in the frame this time and work is ongoing this week at Davey Wren's workshop in Oban to cut out and repair the rot. A few pictures to follow:

Nearside rear arch pic 1.jpg
Nearside rear arch pic 1.jpg
Nearside rear arch pic 2.jpg
Nearside rear arch pic 3.jpg
Nearside rear arch pic 4.jpg
Offside rear arch pic 1.jpg
Offside rear arch pic 2.jpg
Offside rear arch pic 3.jpg
Offside rear arch pic 5.jpg
Offside rear arch pic 6.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: uHu
A picture of what had passed for 'filler' in the past, mastic, fiberglass and actual filler! Also the eBay wheel arches from Poland which
Davey described as "a shit fit, but better than starting from scratch"! :)

Expanding foam fibreglass and mastic fillers.jpg
Polish eBay Repair Panels.jpg

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Next instalment, sorry it's picture heavy. Davey is starting to weld in the repair sections, starting with the near side inner and outer
arches......

Near side inner arch pic 1.jpg
Near Side Inner Arch pic 2.jpg
Near Side Outer Arch pic 1.jpg
Near Side Outer Arch pic 2.jpg

Last edited:
Four more pictures from today's work, filled, sanded and prepped for paint tomorrow...

Near Side Rear Arch Prepped for paint.jpg
Off Side Rear Arch Prepped for paint.jpg

Whilst Davey had the car, I asked him to deal with a couple of stone chips on the front wings, I'm looking forward to see the 'mid life update' to the cars appearance....

Near Side front arch prepped for paint.jpg
Off Side front arch prepped for painting.jpg

Getting onto the home straight now, paint applied today and set to pick up the car tomorrow morning - can't wait! I've decided to reward the car and myself by transferring my 'vanity plate' onto it, I wonder how many will ask if I've bought a new LC? :blush:

Near Side Rear Arch Prepped for paint.jpg
Off Side Rear Arch Prepped for paint.jpg
Near Side front arch prepped for paint.jpg
Off Side front arch prepped for painting.jpg
Off Side Front Wing after paint pic 1.jpg
Off Side Front Wing after paint pic 2.jpg
Near Side Front Arch after paint pic 2.jpg
Near Side Front Wing after paint pic 1.jpg
Near Side Rear Arch after paint.jpg
Off Side Rear Arch after paint.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work! Welding those arches, with almost no metal there to start with, is a nightmare! My Dad and I have recently addressed rust in the same areas on my 100. After some welding, and thinking we'd set the interior of the car alight at one point, we opted for fibreglass. Much easier than welding, and won't rust again.

I also needle-gunned the chassis, axles etc. and painted with Buzzweld Rust Encapsulator, and WAR. Also used Epoxy Armour in key areas. Can't say the paint job has been entirely satisfactory – I did the job in November / December, and despite being in a semi-heated workshop, I think there was too much moisture in the air. If I were ever to do that job again, I would wash, descale and weld/fibreglass myself, then send the vehicle off to Buzzweld to do the painting.

Also, the tow bar bolts are a real pain to remove!

Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 11.03.16.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 11.02.44.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 11.02.44.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4160.JPG
    IMG_4160.JPG
    300.4 KB · Views: 8
Back