Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Stop / Hinder Rust from the inside out

Matt Wright

Garage
Country Flag
south_africa
Hi guys

I recently had this device fitted to my 23 year old car and 20 year old 80 series cruiser. Whilst I will only know if it worked in 10 years time - which will be a bit late - I think there is some good proof in the science behind it and they are cheap which is a bonus.

The product is the RS-5 from RustStop. I had mine supplied and fitted at my home for under £80 each about a month ago
It's effectively a sacrificial anode solution that works on land and so far, I can already see some signs of the anodes being eaten..

The best part is that as it works from the inside out, it covers both sides of the metal. I have battled with rust on my cruisers and cleaning (90%!!) of the work and the treatment (10%) works great, but only covers one side and is difficult to get in to the little grooves and hard to reach areas.

Given how long the Cruisers last - apart from the body - this could be a nice add on for you :)

Cheers
Matt (not affiliated to the product at all ;))

http://www.ruststop.net/ruststop®-rs-5/

My Bro in Vancouver says they are used quite widely there and considered a successful mod.
TBH i wish I had fitted one to my 80 in 97, however I couldn't have foreseen I was going to keep it 16 years. This is the kind of device no one will fit to a truck they are going to keep 2 years and then change it.
I am interested though to put on my 100 as I would like it to get no worse during my ownership and therefore keep in the condition it is in,( which is reasonably good).
Can these be transferred from vehicle to vehicle?

Andy

They are easily transferred from vehicle to vehicle Andy :) I checked.. un-bolt from battery, unbolt anodes, pull wires out.. Re-install :)
worst case, it maintains the rust situation! I'm hoping!

If you can't find them for any reason I can easily ship you guys a box of them. they's small and easy to fit :thumbup:

For £80 it's a worthwhile investment. I have read problems about them in the past about them not working as well on cars as they do for ships etc due the current they output not being able to go through the whole car. Reading their website they somewhat admit that with the comment "Separate Two-Channel Output gives intelligent protection where you need it most" . Their prices on the website for the kits are quite a bit more than £80 though the kit online is $289 USD (http://www.ruststop.net/international-store-usd/)

Matt, do you know where/how the two channels are connected to your 80 .. is it one of the body and one on the chassis?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you can't find them for any reason I can easily ship you guys a box of them. they's small and easy to fit :thumbup:
Not sure it's not snake oil but I'd be interested in a couple at that sort of money if there's nothing comparable here Matt.

I'll'll send some photos of the unit and where it's fitted in the vehicle. Pictures say more than 1000 words (was just yacking to Gav P and this came up!)
I paid ZAR1350 for the unit including fitting but it's the same price without fitting here. That's £79.40 at today's rate. Call it £100 using the old rate before the GBP went crazy!

I can't say it's not snake oil either, but as you point out, for that price I cannot fault it. Body work of any sort is messy hard graft and is expensive so I'm hoping this helps..

@GrantW, I haven't looked at the entire system as it was a turn key job but the anodes are attached to the body in the front left and right engine bay, and then again 2 in the rear of the truck / car attached to the body. Given that the battery earth is connected to the chassis and body, this should mean everything is connected with good connections.

Pics tonight..

Great thanks! I'd definitely be up for one as well if it all pans out!

The system we fit a lot at work is ERPS which is basically the same thing.

I cant say if it works or not, but they seem to be quite popular. :thumbup:

http://www.erps.com.au/

I have the "standard version" that has 4 plates. The heavy duty has 6
Can't comment as to whether the heavy duty is better or required though..

Just to clarify what is achieved with this device, I assume it keeps the vehicle in the same condition as it is rustwise, therefore prolonging the life of the bodyshell? It doesn't convert rust in any way. How does it cope with salty conditions.?

Andy

My understanding is that it maintains the current condition
It doesn't do any conversion

as I understand it these work on boats because they are in water. they won't work on a vehicle because they are not immersed (well, not permanently anyway). A sacrificial anode system must be immersed to allow the passage of the electrons (forgive any science naivety there, that's just as I recall it)If it does work, wooppee, I'll have 2, but if it doesn't in order to be mounted correctly I presume you would need to scrape your chassis back to bare metal to get a contact, leaving your chassis unprotected if it is, as above, snake oil, so I would fit it someplace that's easily repaired!!

I would love it if this did as it claims. I've looked at similar devices before though and read a few damning reports on Ozzie forums of them basically doing bu**er all. I'd be interested to know if there's any independent evidence to support it. When I last did a quick search, I couldn't find any. The thing is, if they did work why haven't manufacturers ever fitted them as standard. Surely it would be cheaper than dealing with warranty claims for perforation which many manufacturers have had and continue to have.....

This reminds me i must replace the anodes on my boat they wore away about a year ago and i painted the rusty bracket they were bolted to but forgot to get new ones . :think: no rust showing on the bracket yet ? The boats 3 years old .

Last edited:
Back