Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Strange ABS behaviour

goodoldboy

iv just had a front wheel bearing replaced & a sticky caliper piston freed off on the same side.Iv just noticed whilst braking a v.low speed (3mph?) the abs comes on - this is on tarmac.the brakes seem fine plenty of stopping power , no warning lights on or anything else amiss . :thumbdown:

Is this a new problem on a truck you've owned a while or is the truck new to you ? I ask because i find my ABS seems keen to kick in at the mildest of provocation but only at very low speeds , i tested it with a 40mph emergency stop and when i slammed on it worked great and brought me to a full stop so quickly i was very impressed . Under normal driving circumstances even when braking reasonably hard ABS doesn't interfere . I had put it down to being a quirk of the vehicle so i'm watching this thread with interest .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I guess you've fixed this before Chris any idea what the sensor will cost ?

I've had this before on my 80, it was dirt stuck to one of the rear ABS sensors. Sod's law says that it may not be the wheel that has seen recent attention.

Poor reading on the sensor doesn't trigger a fault. It's only if it loses complete communication with the sensor does it flash the light up.

The dirt on my sensor manifested itself as a low speed activation of the abs system, as described in the original post, but without any abs fault light. Admittedly it only did this once before I pulled all the sensors, cleaned them (rears had a build up on them) and all has been well since.

Can't live with low speed loss of braking caused by the abs system activating just as you come to a stop, most inconvenient.

I guess you've fixed this before Chris any idea what the sensor will cost ?

here in Spain €224 + vat ! the car is in the garage as i speak but i noticed this morning that it seemed to take a few KMs before the fault appeared

Last edited:
ok job done thanks everyone , a quick wire brush did the job
:thumbup:

Last edited:
Same problem on my VW at one point, was a bad connection to the sensor

Back