Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Strange ABS fault.

goodoldboy

I've got an intermittent ABS light comming on , not in its self a big worry (I've read the other thread on
this in the 90 forum) but I've noticed that sometimes , at low speed , with light pressure on the brake pedal the ABS comming on.on dry tarmac heavy braking is fine , no ABS & on ice/ gravel it works as it should.all this seems to be happening
regardless of whether the light is on.Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Not quite the same symptoms, but I did have an intermittent ABS light and it was down to a slightly corroded sensor connector. I sprayed it with Deoxit and it's been ok since.

I had this previously too and it was a bad earth connection on the bumper mounted tail lights. When i braked it gave a positive return on the circuit triggering the warning. Had it again recently with a poorly wired trailer that i borrowed..Unlikely to be anything wrong with the ABS

A ghost of a memory is telling me you should disconnect the battery and unplug/plug your seatbelt electical connections a few times ensuring a clean contact .
On a side note i believe my hatred of abs in general stems from my having crap rear brakes , im not sure why exactly
but breaking was ok and a 4 corner overhaul made them great curing the trigger happy abs at the same time . I think the front braking was strong and the rear weaker than weak .

Last edited:
I'm so greatful I have a poverty-spec model without ABS when I read about the many faults that seem to afflict it!

Drove recently through water or mud with the axles ?
Can be dirt / water in hub.
In the hub there's a kind of magnetic teethed wheel where the abs sensor get's its signal from.
If it's dirty you can get the same problem.
First you test witch sensor gives you a fault. (see haynes manual)
Then you can easily check it with a light through the sensor hole, when you get your sensor out.
Sure it's not one of four sensors, otherwise the abs stays luminated.
If it's a connector, it also stays luminated. (normally connectors are 100% waterproof)
good luck ...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Check the wheel bearings are ok, I had this once on my 80, don't know if yours are similar, but re torquing mine did the trick

Andy

Check the wheel bearings are ok, I had this once on my 80, don't know if yours are similar, but re torquing mine did the trick

Andy
By re-torquing you pressed the wheel bearings a little better, so also less free-play between the magnetic teeth wheel and sensor. (less out of center) i keep your solution in mind ....

thanks for replying everyone.It's booked in next week & my mechanic has Saud that vibration - it needs a UJ & possibly a wheel bearing - could cause a false reading.the rear bumper light is under investigation as th R/H has been replaced.I do a water crossing most days so not sure about dirt or possibly ice in the toothed ring although I did some unintended deep wading a few weeks ago.Both the outer CVs have been replaced a few weeks ago so its possible that something has been disturbed.The strange thing is that yesterday on a track the ABS was banging away on a descent but stopped with greater pedal pressure - I suppose as the car slows the speed difference between wheels decrease?.

That's the kind of job I want!
we have a small river to cross to get off our property but a few weeks ago it was a torrent & we nearly came unstuck as mentioned on another thread.I do a fair amount of forestry work so yesterday & this morning I was crawling up a track in low 1st glad to be driving aLandcruiser.

we have a small river to cross to get off our property but a few weeks ago it was a torrent & we nearly came unstuck as mentioned on another thread.I do a fair amount of forestry work so yesterday & this morning I was crawling up a track in low 1st glad to be driving aLandcruiser.

I'm a professional archaeologist. Although I sometimes use the truck for work it's less often than I would like :icon-sad:

Back