Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Strange Clunk

Mark_R

Country Flag
great_britain
Prado 95 1996 129000 miles. Standard.

It's only easy to hear at walking speed but quite pronounced.
It's a repetitive wheel speed clunk; speeds up as wheel speed increases.
It goes away when driving at full lock in circles; either way.
Goes away when the brakes are applied, while going forward (walking speed)
Goes away when reversing.
Comes back when reversing with brakes on.
I've checked the wheel nuts.

Common cause of clunks is propshaft UJs, the rearmost one being the most exposed and most likely to fail. remove the prop to check each joint in turn, starting with the rearmost. Not sure why it would be affected differently in your tests though.

Could be brake related since it changes when brakes applied. Warped discs? Pads lacking proper fitting kit/shims (though that often causes a rattle rather than a clunk)? Dust shield on the front wheels bent and catching?

Oversize tyres catching on mudguards?

Unlikely to be the CVs based on your tests - they would normally be at their worst on full lock.

I managed to get it up on a ramp for a quick look today (poor things been in use every day because of the floods).

The sound is from the nearside rear wheel. Goes away when the handbrake is applied.
Well; once the linkage for that side has been unseized and lubed up. (Is it really 12 month since we did it last already?)

So the diagnosis is either a loose lining on the hand brake shoe or a lump of rust on the inside of the hand brake drum.
We'll have a closer look when its get's serviced next week.

My 90 made a clunk like that which slowly turned to a grinding amd turned out my wheel was about to falloff haha id check the wheel bearing to be safe incase its like mine was

So there ws a bit of a delay on the service due to flood duties.
The clunk had been getting worse. Occasionally it would stop for a short while but then return.

Turns out the near side rear caliper slide pin holes (in the carrier) were knackered.
This had led to the whole caliper moving around and causing the pad itself to wear a groove through the pad guides (only one left) and into the carrier itself.
The noise was the pad bouncing around in the space thathad been created by the wear.
Amazingly the brake was working fine.

New caliper and carrier, pads and clips on their way from Mr T.

Back