Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Strange oily (clear oil) dripping from passenger side dash

Andy Harvey

A bit of a strange one. Has anyone got any idea what is up behind the dash that could be dripping a light clear oil down the back of the glovebox and dripping onto the floor. Looks a bit like baby oil but there isn't any of that up there. I've had the glovebox door off and a couple of the panels behind it but it seems to be coming from above the Fan trunking which unfortunately it doesn't look like this comes out with stripping the whole dash and pulling off the complete dash pad. Could it be coming from the A/C system and is there any A/C pipes above that trunking. Cannot for the life of me work out what it is but it's ruining my mud mat in the passenger side.

That is a strange one! Is the aircon working? The only other thing I can think of up there is the heater but you wouldn't expect that to leak oil! It's not a repo motor and the previous owner tipped a bottle of oil into it? :lol:

Hi Andy,

This may be a little left-field but are you sure the oil isn't diesel? I seem to recall a post on another forum about a similar issue with a 100 series diesel where diesel was leaking into the passenger footwell. Can't remember where it was coming from - a leaking fuel return line or something...
I'll have a dig and see if I can find the post and report back :cool:

Obviously if the oil is not diesel, then ignore my ramblings!

Grasping at straws for other possibilities, it's not windscreen washer fluid that's formed a puddle somewhere and evaporated into a thicker fluid and then drained down when dislodged? :roll:

AC oil will be flourescent green, so that kind of a giveaway - soak some up on a white tissue and see what colour it is :idea:

Cheers,

Certainly won't be a/c refrigerant as this will just evaporate. A/c oil is a bet but an odd one if it is. There should be no oil in the lines to that extent. What about fan motor bearing oil?

Nuclear Chicken said:
What about fan motor bearing oil?

That was going to be my guess :(
The fan of the heater could be sucking it from elsewhere :?: brake fluid :?:

ac oil doesn't have to be green, it depends if they put in some green dye during the last recharge

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have had the same thing happen for years. its definitely only when the air con is on. I thought it was just condensation. not oil???

Check your aircon drain pipe isn't blocked then?

It's definately a clear oil, it doesn't evaporate it just slowly soaks into my mud mat and makes it warp. Smells like a light lubricant. I'll check the aircon drain pipe as I have to say I have never seen it drip condensation like my old 80 did but then it is most definately not water. Doesn't smell like brake fluid and to be honest not sure how that would get up there as the brake lines run nowhere near as far as I know.

The A/C is working and is nice and cold. Also doesn't smell or look like Diesel.

Might have to bite the bullet and have the dash pad off although I'm loathed to do it as it isn't a small job.

Hi Andy,

Done a bit of searching as promised and this seems to be a fairly common problem with 100s. But there seem to be a few different possible causes :twisted:

LCOOL thinks fuel leaking from switch on rear of injector pump and running along wiring loom into car

MUD thinks a/c issues with either condensate dripping down or oil from the compressor leaking

LCCSA thinks either IP leak or possible heater matrix leak with coolant dripping down

Suggest you check the IP for leaks and see if there is any residue/diesel coating any wiring nearby/below, to rule that one out. Then I guess it's a process of elimination.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

EDIT: More digging on some of these forums shows that in many cases, people discovered it was the IP leak after all, despite believing that the fluid was not diesel becauser it didn't smell too much. Not sure how that works but that's the conclusion. So I would start with the IP switch as the first candidate!

Hi Andy,

You are not alone in this issue. It is a very common problem with 100 series TD models upto about 2003 (but am not to sure).

I have a 2000 model and it to has the same leak. Does not smell like diesel but its a clear oily liquid. I did have the a/c drain pipe cleaned and thought that that might be the problem but it did not sort out. I am still looking for the answer. If you find out please let me know as well.

Cheers

Although I hate to I might just have to take it to the Dealer. Don't really want to get into the taking off the dashpad, not because I couldn't but because my Wife is in Hospital and I don't have the time. They also may well know of the problem and know the fix. I have checked under the hood and there are no visible leaks of anything getting onto the cables that go through the firewall so it doesn't seem to be coming from there. I doesn't smell like brake fluid, doesn't look like AHC fluid, is definately not engine oil so the only thing I can tyhink of is the lubricant out of the A/C system however as the A/C works very well I can't see that it can be that as I have had the leak showing for quite a while and have the A/C on all the time (even with the heater on) and it hasn't failed yet.

Will pop down and have a talk with one of the service guys this morning.

Andy Harvey said:
Although I hate to I might just have to take it to the Dealer. Don't really want to get into the taking off the dashpad, not because I couldn't but because my Wife is in Hospital and I don't have the time. They also may well know of the problem and know the fix. I have checked under the hood and there are no visible leaks of anything getting onto the cables that go through the firewall so it doesn't seem to be coming from there. I doesn't smell like brake fluid, doesn't look like AHC fluid, is definately not engine oil so the only thing I can tyhink of is the lubricant out of the A/C system however as the A/C works very well I can't see that it can be that as I have had the leak showing for quite a while and have the A/C on all the time (even with the heater on) and it hasn't failed yet.

Will pop down and have a talk with one of the service guys this morning.
Sorry Andy I have not got a solution, but leave the A/C off for a week or so and see if the leak dries up or not.

It will at least prove if its coming from the A/C

Steve

Done a bit more digging and found a post on the other forum also pointing towards the IP. Went to Toyota and they thought it was the A/C pipes above the dash. Going to pull the cover off the IP pump at the weekend and have a look. Seems it is the Timer Control Valve leaking into the wiring so will see if I can see it.

Will need to find a source of the TCV if it is leaking as I expect toyota would want to sell the complete pump. Believe it is a Denso part so anyone have an idea who would do the part?.

Andy have a look here, http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopi ... e46bdd0f35

This sencer can be bought from kent diesel centre (01622 687882 for the grand total of £139.20 inc vat & del. took me 2 hour to fit. 1 of whitch was spent getting m8 alan bolt out at back of pump.

Denso Timing Valve Assembly
Part no. 096360-0580
Price €235 plus VAT
Available off the shelf from Diesel Fuel Injection Ltd in Dublin

Thanks Saskia. Didn't get a chance to look at it at the weekend but will print this out and keep it for when I do have a look and expect to find that the TCV is at fault.

Re: Strange oily (clear oil) dripping from passenger side da

Andy,

Did you get this sorted, seems I might have the same problem.

Andy.

Not yet, haven't had a chance to do it and it's still dripping. Got to get around to taking off the cover off the IP and seeing where it is coming from - pretty sure it will be Timer Control valve leaking into the wiring loom.

Thanks, will have to strip it down for a look, but it seems like the same thing.

Back