Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Stub axle upgrade ...

Red Oktober

Garage
Country Flag
uk
As the title suggests ....

can I get the bearings and collar already fitted in the stub axle ... or do I have to get the separately??

not sure if you are looking to replace your complete stub axles with the upgraded roller bearing type or just replace the old bronze bushes and keep your stub axles.

When I rebuilt my axle I replaced the stub axles as they were stuffed and got mine from milner:
http://www.milneroffroad.com/toyota...mport/hdj80-axle-frontrear-0?new_ver=1&page=2

You can also pick up replacement roller bearings from them if just dumping the old bronze bushes.
I do notice that they now say the stub axle is 'aftermarket part'. The ones they sent me were OEM. Worth checking first.

Noticed there are also a few complete stub axles on ebay for the same price. Not sure what quality these aftermarket ones are.

Dave.

They certainly were genuine to begin with. Went and looked at them. The needle bearings and shorter top hats have come down in price though so unless you need the whole stub axle why would you not just buy the bits. But that one on the Milner site doesn't actually say it's the upgraded part. I think it must be but ....

I was going to get the stub axle as well so it was all new.

Thanks guys ..... very helpful as always :)

TO BUMP THIS THREAD.....

Has anyone removed the bronze spindle from abrand new stub axle to upgrade it? I have a New one from Milner and also bought the needle bearing kit but didn't realise I would have to remove the bronze one! ANy easyway to do this as there isn't much of a lip to catch inside and its a bit of a way down inside the stub axle. I don't really want to hack it to pieces if there is an easier way!

It's not very easy I'm afraid. I think you've spotted that. I used a brass drift and tapped it out. Obviously that bit is saleable to someone else if they need it. So undamaged is good. If I were to do it again, I'd probably machine up a pipe to fit pretty snug in the stub which would then touch the lip of the top hat which is slightly wider from memory then I'd press it out from behind

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I ended up heating mine up. Was a ball ache iirc it was years ago. The new bush was 90 odd quid from to toyota uk.

Yeah I just used the segmented removal tool (AKA hacksaw blade), removed a few wedges of the flange then cut a few grooves into the sleeve and then persuaded it with a screw driver. Actually that was about 10mins now I am having troube to get the needle roller in! 40 mins and still no luck...

Ive run both bearing and bush type - from a off road perspective, for me, the bush is hardier, especially if you are unlucky enough to get water ingress.

I agree Roger. The needles don't like it up 'em. But they are far more elegant than the plain bush

Can't say I struggled to get the needle roller unit in though. Think I pressed it in.

Too late to the party me…again!! I have a set of roller bearings and short bushes that are crying out for a new home as I had to replace my stub axles and the new ones came with rollers.

How much were the bushes and rollers from Mr T if you don't mind me asking?

I went Milner. Ordered a hub seal from Toyota which they sent me one for the rear for £8.50, they then wanted £38 for the front one so I ordered from Milner for £5. Given that I didn't even price the rollers form Toyota. In the mean time I destroyed the Toyota inner axle seal that I had trying to tap it in with a marginally undersized socket and the spring flicked out.
I then had to pull that one out and use a non genuine milner seal ( which was actually marked for something off a mitsibushi) and it tapped in beautifully presumably because the plastic was able to deform slightly more and would def carry this part as a spare if I was going overlanding say...
I only then damaged the hub seal trying to tap it in with a wooden wire brush handle. However I assessed that the outer rim was seated and the inner rubber seal was unaffected so left it in. The moral to this story is that if yiu are going to do a job without the right tools don't buy Genuine parts!

"The moral to this story is that if you are going to do a job without the right tools don't buy Genuine parts!"

That has t0 be the quote of the day. I love it. It's up there with if at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you even had a go to begin with

i have gen front seals in glen if you need any. Always have a few in stock as I've learnt the hard way.

Never used a non gen inner seal. Was warned off in the early days. I have used their large hub seals though which have been fine. The ones that hold the inner bearing in on the hub.

Thanks Karl,

However this was unplanned maintenance. The wheel bearing has been dodgy for over a year so I was driving around with the spares that I bought 4 years ago for an intended rebuild. However the outer bearing collapsed and by the time I nursed it home it had gouged the stub axle. I was ordering on line late at night so just found it easier to use the competition on this occasion. I left the hub into a local garage asking if the they could remove the old seal and bearing with a puller to save me destroying the hub seal. Unfortunately they didn't admit to not having a puller either and so hammered it out like I could have done myself! All in all it took me a full week to complete the rebuild including reordering parts that I fecked due to pure laziness and impatience. I will keep an eye on the inner axle seal and have ordered a nice snapon impact gun to make this job easier in future.

I must get a price off you for a diff rebuild kit then the front axle will be good as new!

No problem mate.

If your building an impact gun have a look at the big Milwaukee ones if your going cordless. Few of us on here have them and they are a fair bit of kit mate.

Back