Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sudden power loss on motorway

Yorkshire4x4

Country Flag
uk
Hi guys I need a bit of advise please
I was on the m62 tonight and suddenly lost power the truck went dead engine shut down. AA came out they couldn't fix it they said its an inje tin issue the fuel is not circulating. Its a lc 90 d4d Lc KDJ95 engine 1KDFTV 52 reg.
I'm worried is this the end of my truck. I'm being toed home as I write this message hoping some expert my be able to advise the best way forward. By the way no white smoke and did not notice and banging noise it tries to start but dies when I turn the key

Thanks guys

Hi Yorks and Welcome.
From what I’ve read on here these are very reliable engines. This isn’t the end of your truck. Check your ECU fuse(s) and any others for fuel lift pump if there are any. The usual problem is suction control valves but they don’t usually suddenly die.

Check for any leaks in your fuel lines or primer pump diaphragm (will it pump fuel until hard). If you don’t mind taking a look yourself, there’s some straightforward tests that should find the problem without having a garage replace half the engine before they stumble on the problem. Did you get any check engine light on the dash?

Hi Yorks and Welcome.
From what I’ve read on here these are very reliable engines. This isn’t the end of your truck. Check your ECU fuse(s) and any others for fuel lift pump if there are any. The usual problem is suction control valves but they don’t usually suddenly die.

Check for any leaks in your fuel lines or primer pump diaphragm (will it pump fuel until hard). If you don’t mind taking a look yourself, there’s some straightforward tests that should find the problem without having a garage replace half the engine before they stumble on the problem. Did you get any check engine light on the dash?
Hi star cruiser thanks for your reply I can confirm there were no warning lights on the dash. When the AA guy was spraying the air filter the Abs light started flashing but he said ghat didn't mean any thing. Wonder if a fault reader will detect it I also had the top of the fuel tank fuel sender thing repaired as it was leaking about a year ago

Might be worth running it from a can of diesel if this is possible straight into the filter. I say if possible as I know the newer fittings are O rings and clips and things rather than hose tails and jubillee type clips. Maybe that repair hasn’t held up?

Might be worth running it from a can of diesel if this is possible straight into the filter. I say if possible as I know the newer fittings are O rings and clips and things rather than hose tails and jubillee type clips. Maybe that repair hasn’t held up?
Thanks I will ask a mechanic to run it
Through a can of diesel. I was thinking suction control valves but reading on the forum they don't just suddenly pack in. I'm going to the garage so hope he's more practicle than the AA man

Worth checking wiring. I’ve had this sudden death on the Cursed Smart car. Turned out to be a poor contact on the Power into the ECU. Check for wiring damage. Any poorly mated connectors that could have parted company or got corroded. Immobiliser and ignition switch are also possibles and a Main relay if it has one (were there clicks when you turned the key that aren’t there now?)
Also, has there been anything significant happen to the truck, a service perhaps, heavy off road or vibration, anything like that fairly recently before this happened?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi the car had a service two weeks ago.
I've just returned from the garrage the mechanic says its unlikely to be fuel pump or injectors as they die a slow death. The prime suspect is that about a year ago the sensors on top the fuel tank were corroded so I had starting issues. I cut the corroded pipes that sit on top of the tank and attached new fuel pipes using jubilee clips. I suspect one of the pipes have come off from the top of the tank. Or it may be electrical. First my mechanic wants to attach a fault reader to it

Worth checking wiring. I’ve had this sudden death on the Cursed Smart car. Turned out to be a poor contact on the Power into the ECU. Check for wiring damage. Any poorly mated connectors that could have parted company or got corroded. Immobiliser and ignition switch are also possibles and a Main relay if it has one (were there clicks when you turned the key that aren’t there now?)
Also, has there been anything significant happen to the truck, a service perhaps, heavy off road or vibration, anything like that fairly recently before this happened?

Hi the car had a service two weeks ago.
I've just returned from the garrage the mechanic says its unlikely to be fuel pump or injectors as they die a slow death. The prime suspect is that about a year ago the sensors on top the fuel tank were corroded so I had starting issues. I cut the corroded pipes that sit on top of the tank and attached new fuel pipes using jubilee clips. I suspect one of the pipes have come off from the top of the tank. Or it may be electrical. First my mechanic wants to attach a fault reader to it. Sorry to be clear the pipes that I
Cut were the metal fuel sensor ones as they were corroded

My 1kz did this after i had removed the fuel tank for painting , re-pressurizing the fuel system was a bit of a ball ache but with Starcruiser pumping compressed air into the fuel filler cap , fbnss , pumping like mad on the fuel filter primer and me underneath the truck getting a diesel shower while i reconnected the return pipe sorted it .

My 1kz did this after i had removed the fuel tank for painting , re-pressurizing the fuel system was a bit of a ball ache but with Starcruiser pumping compressed air into the fuel filler cap , fbnss , pumping like mad on the fuel filter primer and me underneath the truck getting a diesel shower while i reconnected the return pipe sorted it .
Thank you Shane and StarCruiser
My plan of action tomorrow morning will be as follows
1, try running it through a can of diesel
2. Try a fault reader
3.test battery earth wire ecu etc
4, remove tank and check previous repair of fuel valve
5, pump preassure into the fuel pipes

Thank you Shane and StarCruiser
My plan of action tomorrow morning will be as follows
1, try running it through a can of diesel
2. Try a fault reader
3.test battery earth wire ecu etc
4, removenlye tank and check previous repair of fuel valve
5, pump preassure into the fuel pipes
The guy next door to me has a 90 and last year it suddenly died , it turned out to be components burnt out in the ECU, he had some one try to repair it with what he thinks are sub standard components , but now runs really rough with black smoke , but at least it starts first time , but sounds terrible , he started it up for me and Talaman (Geoff) to hear it run , while Geoff past by to visit , he is waiting to buy another ECU from Ebay that is proven to work .

Thanks t
The guy next door to me has a 90 and last year it suddenly died , it turned out to be components burnt out in the ECU, he had some one try to repair it with what he thinks are sub standard components , but now runs really rough with black smoke , but at least it starts first time , but sounds terrible , he started it up for me and Talaman (Geoff) to hear it run , while Geoff past by to visit , he is waiting to buy another ECU from Ebay that is proven to work .
Thanks Tony
Wonder if yoyr friends died whilst he was on the road or any symptoms b4 it went. Mine went dead on the motor
When I turn the key it judders as though its trying to start! The Ecu would my mechanic be able to test this and is any one aware of the symptoms of a dodgy ecu
Thanks for all the replys this forum has never let me down it always resolves issues

Hi he said it just went suddenly when he was driving down the road its a 1kz-te engine , the garage that took the car in had it for a couple of months as they were mates , the mechanic just used to look at it when he had the time to spare as he were stumped on what fault it had , no error codes, after getting round to checking the ECU the mechanic noticed the ECU had work done , shodderly soldered bits put in , he did is best to repair it but thinks some bits are not working as they should be and better to get a good ECU that works . The mechanic showed him the ECU and the Guy next door to me works with electronic components so could tell the ECU was bodged up so he thinks its better to get another ECU .

Thanks t

Thanks Tony
Wonder if yoyr friends died whilst he was on the road or any symptoms b4 it went. Mine went dead on the motor
When I turn the key it judders as though its trying to start! The Ecu would my mechanic be able to test this and is any one aware of the symptoms of a dodgy ecu
Thanks for all the replys this forum has never let me down it always resolves issues
When it suddenly died whilst driving down the road it just would not restart .

If it looks like ECU then the ECU Doctor is Worth talking to. They can test ECUs that are sent to them on a proper diagnostic. They do repairs and warranty them.

What you are doing sounds like a plan. The main things are to start with the cheap and easy things, then progress.

You say it had a service? Check any wiring round the oil filter for damage. It’s hapoened before where the loom has been crushed by a filter removal tool. Take photos if you find any.

If it looks like ECU then the ECU Doctor is Worth talking to. They can test ECUs that are sent to them on a proper diagnostic. They do repairs and warranty them.

What you are doing sounds like a plan. The main things are to start with the cheap and easy things, then progress.

You say it had a service? Check any wiring round the oil filter for damage. It’s hapoened before where the loom has been crushed by a filter removal tool. Take photos if you find any.[/QUO

Thank you starcruiser

I will take photos of my progress Ecu may be the cause but I've tried searching on this forum and the net but can not find much info. If it is then I will be in touch again for more info on where I can send the Ecu for repair and is a repair effective would I send the same one to them ?
Thank you star

I'd be checking that suction control valve as yours is the D4D lump first before messing with the ECU's. They're more prone to failure in comparison to the ECU's.

I'd be checking that suction control valve as yours is the D4D lump first before messing with the ECU's. They're more prone to failure in comparison to the ECU's.[/QUOTE
Thanks Beau
Would you please give me some tips on how I would check the valves would I have to remove the pump or would they be visible on a ramp
Thanks

Just had had the fuel pump tested by a diagnostic machine and it shows preassure.. No leaks no blocks
Is it possible for the scv valves to just go dead without warning. When the me hanic turned the key the truck judders so Ecu is OK he claims. He tested for fuel tubes and there was flow he checked the banjo bolt no blockage! So next step is suction control valves from roughtrax

Last edited:
SCV valves are always number one suspect on these engines - can an electronically controlled enclosed solenoid driven valve fail catastrophically - i think so

Back