Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Suitable pressurised expansion tank suitability

Dave2000

Supporter
Country Flag
spain
Tried to edit the cock up on the title but no joy...sorry.

The Toyota coolant recovery system works perfect but, whenever there is a leak it effectively disguises it. Also, Toyota decided a low water warning was not needed so I intend to fit one to compliment my low oil pressure warning light that succumbed to the same 'not needed' thoughts by Mr T's designers.

Using a pressurised vessel will allow me to have an instant warning of a leak as opposed to the cloud of steam coming from under the bonnet that signals there is a problem.

I already have the hose 'T' piece made up and now just need to change the cap and fit the expansion tank, the sensor will be wired up to the already installed low oil pressure buzzer, I have also installed the low oil pressure warning light in the vertical bar normally used for the automatic gear indicator, so just need to fit another for low water.

Has anyone seen or can suggest a 'pressurised' expansion tank that has a sensor and would be small enough to fit in the stock position? Most are round and too bulky for my purposes.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Can't recall ever seeing an expansion tank with a built in pressure sensor. Finding a tank that fits into the stock position in front of the battery could be difficult as most tanks are shaped specifically to fit a space in the engine bay. You could try a large breakers and look at some from other vehicles. The other option would be to have one made up by a kit car manufacturer or maybe a radiator repair shop could do it. It wouldn't be cheap but it would be guaranteed to fit and no doubt they could build in a pressure sensor. As you say the standard system works perfect. Are you having engine/cooling problems? I fitted an accurate pressure gauge for the oil to supplement the 'not very useful, OE gauge. If the standard cooling system is kept in good condition then, personally, I think that the only necessary addition would be an accurate water temp gauge. I believe there is a mod to make the standard gauge more responsive, sure I've seen it somewhere on ih8mud. JMO

Hi, no cooling system issues at all (well when I get her back on the road) the point is if you spring a leak whilst off-roading at best it can be RPITA, at worst you can damage your engine. The standard system cannot be used to detect a water leak due to the method of operation of the atmospheric expansion tank. So I wanted something that would warn me if I was getting low on water due to having perhaps run over debris on the trail and picked up a leak? I have already fitted a T piece in the oil pressure line and fitted a warning light and buzzer, I have also calibrated the stock oil pressure gauge so that reads correctly. The temp gauge mod I done two or three years ago (MUD) and it works perfect, I have noted as I have got older I am less of an avid gauge watcher I used to be, so a warning light/buzzer combo would bring a problem to light earlier than the cloud of steam. Some of the tracks here are up the side of mountains hundreds of feet up with no barriers......oh no wait, that is the NORMAL mountain roads, the tracks are similar without tarmac :icon-biggrin:, I just like to keep an eye on where I am going rather than watch the dash. Your right about the different tanks out there being purpose made for the particular model they are being fitted to, the small space the 80 has does not leave a lot of options, I think the custom made job is the way to go but they tend to be more about 'bling' so the price reflects this (no pun intended) I am thinking go and not show, thanks for the input.

regards

Dave

Back