Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sunroof leaking and not working 100% electrically? Pics

MisterCruiser

Country Flag
ireland
So, I sealed up my sunroof when I first bought my cruiser 7/8 yrs ago because it leaked.

Anyway, it's started leaking a little again so I decided to scrape all my old sealant off and start again, however I'm looking for the corner drains to check they are clear and if they're blocked I'd be tempted to clear them and chance leave the sunroof in operation for a while and if doesn't leak again I'll leave it in use. If it leaks again I'll re-seal it up again.

Can someone confirm, does the 90 series sunroof just open by tilting up and down again, and it doesn't actually slide open fully?
I only have 2 sunroof buttons, a tilt open and a close it seems, at least that's all that happens. The other button is a light.
IMG-5801.jpg

Like in my pic? And should it go higher than in my pic?
IMG-5803.jpg

Also, is this as high as it opens fully in my picture or should the slider piece highlighted red in my pic move to the full end of that slot and allow the sunroof to tilt up higher?
IMG-5809.jpg

I don't see the drain holes in the 4 corners of the sunroof, I think I can just about see the fronts but not easily. I think I need to get the sunroof to open higher to see the fronts. I believe the 2 rears are hidden? How do I get to them?

Also, separate question, my interior ceiling light in the middle of the roof (between the 2 front seats) doesn't work, bulb is ok, and I don't have a constant 12v at the 2pin plug for this light. Should I have a constant 12v at this plug with the light unit disconnected from it? With my front interior roof lights I have a constant 12v at the plug with the light unit disconnected so I'm guessing the middle rear light should be the same? Can anyone confirm? And any ideas why I don't have 12v here other than a broken wire, I'm guessing if it was a fuse there'd be other stuff not working either, but I'll check the fuses too obviously.

Last edited:
Is your sunroof an aftermarket (tilt-only) one?

I'm asking because on my (1997 3.4 VX) with a OEM SR, the controls are different. It both tilts (about the same as your pic) and also slides completely* back.

(*when you press and hold the button to slide back or forwards, the SR will move halfway and then stop. You have to then release and press and hold the button again, to complete the full open or close procedure. A safety "feature" no doubt - a bit of a PITA sometimes.)

WRT to the lights - yes, I believe they should have a constant supply and if the other interior lights are working would (most likely) suggest that the wire is loose or broken.

I don't know if my sunroof is aftermarket, I just assumed it was original.
How many buttons do you have to operate your sunroof in your cruiser? 2 or more?

Do you know how to get to the drains, mainly the rear drains? Do I have to remove the glass panel itself? When tilted up as far as I can get it to go, I can just about make out a hole near the front which I'm assuming is the front drain, but awkward to get to it. I can't even see the rears but read they are hidden? Do I have to strip it down / remove it more?

I can see rust colour at the slider mechanism so it could probably all do with a clean and greasing, if I could figure out how to access it all.

Fuses are ok, so I've to check the wiring to that light.

Last edited:
Your interior light looks like the one in the non-sunroof models so I reckon your sunroof is aftermarket. Anybodies guess on how it works and where the drains are I'm afraid, I've not seen one like it.
40D1B052-A8C3-4B0E-BACC-CA6EF82BEB2B.jpeg

Cheers for that pic of the interior light, good way to identify my sunroof model. So it's non oem, that's all I need :p :)

I'll remove the head lining, seems easy enough, then I'll pour water on it and see where the water is coming in from for starters.

Then, I'll try clean the drains, and if I can't find the rears I'll look about unbolting the entire sunroof altogether to get better access and see what's going on.

Regards any sunroof generally speaking, if it's all aligned before you remove, is it just a matter of bolting it back in and it should still be all aligned like originally or does it require some messing around once back in to get it aligned. If the latter, I'd be bit reluctant to remove it. Just want to know what I'm likely to be letting myself in for. :)

Can't help with the 90 sunroof mate, but assuming the roof light switch is in the right position,
i.e. not off, check the operation of courtesy light switches in doorshuts. Ive had these go bad in the past by staying stuck in when doors open, which keeps the power supply off to light.

Just a guess if sunroof is tilt only, could the bit either side you refer to as sliders, be a manual press release mechanism for lifting glass panel out ? Anyways, maybe a good lube required.
Cover up interior if squirting wd or similar, it goes everywhere when doing sunroof.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have the same controller on mine. I'm sure that I've read somewhere that two different types were fitted to the 90 series. (Mine doesn't work.)

This is what somebody else found was the cause of a 90 series sunroof leak

1640694473849.png

Not much point in a drain that don't run anywhere :wtf:

@Shayne - Does the sunroof drain lead down the front inner windscreen pillar?
What am I looking at in that pic, is the drain tube broken off half way down?

I removed the screws from the silver aluminium rails and have the glass and rails sliding back and forward, but it can't be removed as a unit in this state. I think the aluminium rails have to be separated from the glass in order to remove the sunroof which I'm reluctant to do due to possibly upsetting the slider ratchet alignment.

With the glass slid back like in my 1st pic here, I still can't see any of the drain holes, front or rears??

IMG-5812.jpg

A video or a guide on removing the sunroof would be great :)

What are the 2 gold coloured pipes going from the corners of the front of the sunroof into the motor?

IMG-5814.jpg

Its a random pic from pradopoint but obviously he had found his problem so there wasn't much more to add .

Its a D4D 90 i think but there really isn't much difference regarding the 90 series body right across the range , pretty much everything was an optional extra so we all have wires for heated seats we never got , plugs , holes and sockets for missing bits .

But yeah his drain obviously runs down the windscreen pillar and it should finish some place to drip water outside the car , lord only knows why his doesn't ?

Not much holds the pillar trim on other than the grab handle so not much effort to take it off for a look .

Only sunroof i ever removed was from a Hummer and it was just a case of undoing stuff until i could lift it out . Everything only fits one way so you can't put it back wrong .

If we're right in thinking it's an aftermarket sunroof I don't think there will be any drains. All the ones I've seen have just required a hole in the roof and then they clamp in place as a single unit, electric ones needing a power supply of course. An aftermarket fitter trying to run four tubes to the far corners of the car seems unlikely. I think the water is only kept out by the rubber seals and the design (which is why they nearly all leak in time when the rubber hardens and wears). If you can find a maker's name on there (Webasto or the like) it may be possible to source a new rubber seal.

Guessing the gold coloured pipes have cables inside to operate the roof driven by the motor.

think the drain pic is from a different car, not the OPs

Sorry Shane, you knew that as you posted it! I must read before replying.

@Shayne - Cheers for the pic, was worth checking for. I took the pillar trim off the drivers side as that was the side with the wire running up to the interior light that I needed to check it's wire.
There's no drains in my pillar so at least I can rule that out.
IMG-5817.jpg

I've determined the wire is broke between the the interior light unit and where it disappears under the head lining, typical, to fix it properly I'd have to remove the roof lining. I said in a previous post I thought that'd be easy, but when I said that for some reason I was under the impression the head lining was in 2 pieces, thought it split at the head rests area, but no, it's all 1 piece. Hmmmm! Is it worth it? :) How awkward is this, I feckin hate removing trim and poxy plastic clips, etc...

Regards the sunroof, I'm beginning to think it is after market again now, was thinking original with regard to the dome light pic posted above suggesting 2 types, but I don't think they're are any drain hoses at all suggesting aftermarket ye folks think. I'll try find a brand or logo on it, good suggestion.

Maybe, the best thing to do is to go ahead and remove the entire roof lining, fix the light wire, and drive it with no roof lining and see exactly where and how bad the leaking is, then decide if the sunroof leak can be repaired in some way or if i's too bad I can just seal it up completely.

Hard to motivate oneself in this cold weather though, haha. :) Cheers for the help though, it'll spur me on haha

While its apart drill a hole , put some epoxy putty in it and push a pencil through so you have something to connect a drain pipe to .

I literally removed the head lining now, not too, bad, just remove grab handles and rear view mirror and peel back, pulled trim panels off at back.

Mouse ate my wire, some evidence of mice been in the ceiling, not recent though, when I first bought this cruuiser 8yrs ago, it had been parked up for 18 months or 2 yrs and I had to repair wires at the rear lights due to mice.
IMG-5820.jpg

I'll have to clean out all the loose sound deadening, and stick up some new stuff. Ill clean it all now.

I think we can safely say the sunroof is after market now, theres a red + black wires going from the motor down to the dash and looks like aftermarker wiring.

Here's the logo of sunroof, can't make the word out yet, will try get clearer look at it later

IMG-5825.jpg

IMG-5828.jpg

The logo looks like "Taylor Made" like the brand in the link above. They don't say they make sunroofs, but they say they make replacement windshields for boats and hatch type opening windows. Perhaps they stopped making sunroofs, anyone ever heard of this brand of sunroof?

@Shayne - where would I put the drain tube? Where are you suggesting I drill a hole, into the lowest flat piece of the sunroof?
And what's that seal hose thing you linked to, big round rubber thing with a valve on it? Where would I be trying to fit that?

I'm assuming the rubber sits in some sort of channel and if the channel can't fill up because it has a drain then the seal can leak all it wants because the water just goes down a tube and drips to the road under the engine somewhere .

The valve thing is obviously to big but a pic speaks louder than words with regards to what i meant regarding the epoxy putty .

Back