Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sunroof weather seal... 63252-60010

IRLGW

Has anyone replace the weather seal on their sunroof Toyota 63252-60010 and did it solve any leaks? I have cleared the drain holes and tested with the hose pipe an there was a steady stream straight in on top of the seat. Not down the pillar or in the corners just straight down at the edges. I understand the slides wear and imagine I will remove and pack them with a thin gasket, however I don't think slowing the initial flow with a new seal will do any harm. However Im not seeing the velvet gasket on the rim of this weather strip nor is it listed as a separate part so is it an upgraded part that is unlikely to perish?

The seal does not 'seal' out water. The thing, rather stupidly is designed to leak. It leaks into the rain gutters and drains. It works if the pipes are clear and the drain slits in the sills are cleaned out too. These MUST be clear first. Where it leaks is through a stupid little plastic plate that is gobbo'd in with sealant. This fails and water will pour in. You cans pend hours trying to seal it. Don't. Take it out and start again all clean and with some windscreen sealant.

Yes the water really does drain into the sills and will store up for years if left un treated

Im with you Chris but as the seal has perished I thought a zero mm gap mightlet in less than 2mm gap! it just started out of nowhere so I was figuring on that, So can I do the re-seal operation without taking down the headliner? i.e from the top?

Ahh if the seal is screwed then of course it needs replacing but the solution is I'm afraid to tackle the little plastic cover that hides the hole in the roof. You'll need to peel a bit of the lining down to make a super job of it

the little plastic cover that hides the hole in the roof? would the 'hole' happen to be about 600mm wide and 400mm long?

Ha ha, no not quite. But it is there on both sides close to the front where the arms to the wind deflector connect

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chaps any chance of some pictures to show this drain cleaning process? Many thks

I've the plastic tabs (like Chris indicated) ready to be replaced on mine. I cleared up my drains etc. and also added extra sealant to the plastic but to no avail. Still leaked. For last year I've just tapped up my sunroof so water can't get in. Waiting for dry day in the mood to take down the headliner and fix

OK so as I couldn't quite get my head around why the concealed gasket/trim would suddenly start to leak and having confirmed my drains were unblocked, I decided to attempt a seal repair before forking out on a replacement. Regardless of the interior seal, if more water enters the sunroof tray than the drains can cope with, then it will overflow the sliders and drop in. I confirmed this by putting a raw hosepipe on the roof just behind the sunroof with it closed. In fact it may as well have not been closed as the water funneled in, but from above the inner headlining. So I cleaned and masked off the sunroof opening with a 7day masking tape and then rubbed beeswax on it. I then masked off along the highest point of the weather seal but not all the way to the glass's as to prevent a raised lip forming that may stop any water from running away. I used tech7 polyurethane sealant for its adhesion low shrinkage and UV resistance. Once I ran a 5mm bead around the gap, I used a small flat mixing spatula to create a flat profile from the center of the weather seal to the adjacent roof edge.

After 2hrs I removed the inner tape and left the outer until the next day {24hrs}. It took a little bit of trimming with a scalpel and a bit of persuasion to break the seal and slide the glass back to remove the outer tape. I then waxed the edges again where the tape had been to prevent sticking to the tacky outer skin of the freshly cured sealant

It has absolutely worked a treat with virtually zero water ingress and it has significantly reduced the wind noise. The tighter seal will also prevent crud that could previously enter the tray and block the drains from entering the system. I would strongly suggest anyone with this problem to give it a whirl or replace the weather seal before going to the trouble of removing any fittings or trim, although in some cases that may still be necessary.

Attachments

• IMG_20200912_161110.jpg
    IMG_20200912_161110.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_20200912_161119.jpg
    IMG_20200912_161119.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20200912_161729.jpg
    IMG_20200912_161729.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20200912_161734.jpg
    IMG_20200912_161734.jpg