Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Supercharger

Saltydog235

Country Flag
united_states
I picked up this 1999 a few weeks back. I drove it, made sure everything worked and put tires on it. I never pulled the engine cover off but noticed the piping was different than my old 2005. Did Toyota ever put a factory supercharger on the 4.7L in the Land Cruiser?

The only reason I ask is that when I get on it hard, it spools up like the turbo on my Powerstroke or Cummins and takes off like a scalded dog. My 2005 wouldn't run with this one on a good day, heck my wife's Series 200 has a hard time keeping up. I know it's not built for speed, just surprised me the other evening.

I picked up this 1999 a few weeks back. I drove it, made sure everything worked and put tires on it. I never pulled the engine cover off but noticed the piping was different than my old 2005. Did Toyota ever put a factory supercharger on the 4.7L in the Land Cruiser?

The only reason I ask is that when I get on it hard, it spools up like the turbo on my Powerstroke or Cummins and takes off like a scalded dog. My 2005 wouldn't run with this one on a good day, heck my wife's Series 200 has a hard time keeping up. I know it's not built for speed, just surprised me the other evening.
:banana-gotpics::banana-gotpics::banana-gotpics:

I think you would see a supercharger sitting between the Vs but beyond that I know nothing of this engine. Except of course it's a lovely smooth V8 petrol (gas) engine with a flat cover on top. I would imagine a supercharger would sit there and need a bonnet hump.

There was an aftermarket supercharger available, can you see the letters TRD on the top of the engine at all ?

If it is, then it is beneath the stock engine cover.

Never heard a naturally aspirated engine spool up with that whine is what gets me. I'm going to have to get some time to pull that cover and look it over some. The fellow that owned the vehicle before the guy I bought it from was a car nut, he'd fix and modify them, get tired of it and sell it to move onto another project.

Odd thing but, I'm not complaining, it'll go when I want it to go.

If it is, then it is beneath the stock engine cover.

Never heard a naturally aspirated engine spool up with that whine is what gets me. I'm going to have to get some time to pull that cover and look it over some. The fellow that owned the vehicle before the guy I bought it from was a car nut, he'd fix and modify them, get tired of it and sell it to move onto another project.

Odd thing but, I'm not complaining, it'll go when I want it to go.
Interesting, post up some pics when you get the cover off but I would be expecting a pulley and toothed belt poking out the front to drive it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The front end exhaust is what i'd be looking at for whistling leaks

Diffs are fine. No exhaust leak besides, that wouldn't explain why it moves out like it does.

I got a call into the guy that did all the other mods to it.

Back