Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sway bar removal

Natal

Country Flag
united_states
Hi .
Can any body tell me if the torsion bars on the 2001,100 series IFS need to be removed to replace the front sway bar. Please advise. Thanks to all.

No - but its a bit of a fiddle to get the bolts out of the clamps - particularly on the right-hand side !

DSCN8412.JPG

DSCN8414.JPG

DSCN8344.JPG

I replace all the clamp bolts with M8 stainless (13mm heads).

Bob.

Bob
Thank you Brother! The pictures are awsome. Yea the bolts look like a challenge to get off. I will definitely take your advise with the ss bolts I am going to replace the sway bar. is there any particular way or trick to remove it once the end links are disconnected and clamp bolt and clamps are removed?
Thanks again. W.Natal

Hi,
As far as I remember (the pictures are a couple of years old) the ARB (sway bar) takes a bit of juggling to get out once the drop links are removed. There is no real 'trick' to it but take it carefully and don't get annoyed with it :icon-wink:.

I seem to recall I used a ratchet ring spanner to get the clamp bolts out - after I had soaked them in release oil.

Send us some pics (I guess your cars are not as rusty underneath as Scottish ones !).

Bob.

Hey Bob,
Sorry I'm getting back to you now, had to go to work. I actually picked up some ratchet ring spanners today as I thought that might make things easier. Now, about the rust, we do have rust. I'm in Florida and it's very humid. Fortunately, I do not have any rust, and to prevent it, I use military-grade Cosmoline. The vehicle is protected from water and salt. The product I use is a spray-on called RP-342 Black (ultra-tough, long-lasting rust preventative). Look it up, this is good stuff. I'll keep you informed. Thanks again for all of your advise. The pics are coming.
Natal

Back