Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sway or ant-roll bar geometry

Shayne

Guru
While under the truck today i was thinking about how i would go about making a quick release for the bar when i realized my bar is probably messed up .
I had forgotten that i dropped the the brackets that hold the bar to the chassis shortly after i had a body lift so some time later i did what most do after fitting a +2" suspension lift and replaced the front drop links with rear links which are longer .
Now i'm thinking it should be longer links or lowered brackets not both but i am struggling to get my head around it .

What do you think ?

A : swap links for normal sized and leave bracket spacers in .

B : remove bracket spacers .

C : leave it as is .

90 series Landcruiser independent front suspension .

IMO, for functionality, as long as the ends are attached to the lower suspension arms / axle and the middle is anchored to the chassis, it makes no difference what spacers you have anywhere.

As as long as you're not compromising ground clearance, you're not suffering any disadvantages.

It's a simple torsion bar, so as long as it's twisting, it's doing what it's supposed to.

Alternatively, just remove it altogether. If you do, try the truck out under different conditions, and see how different it is. If you're not sure, put them back on. I've heard several 80 owners say that the difference is neglible.

It might be a different story with IFS.

Last edited:
Trouble is i have never seen my truck twisting i'm always driving when it happens :lol: I wonder if you remember when we were all playing in the river Clive , i came off the bank about 45 degrees parallel to the water dropping one wheel about 2 foot . I did it to see how the truck coped and i remember a look on your face that said "what the hell is he doing" . If you do remember an onlookers impression of how it coped might be useful here ?

There wasn't a problem with how the truck behaved Shayne, it was the speed at which you were doing it that concerned me :lol:

TBH, the bar doesn't affect the performance of the suspension when doing extreme things, apart from limiting flex to some degree.

If they do anything, they simply make the truck a bit more stable generally at speed, lane changing on motorways, ploughing into tight corners, and cornering generally.

I think there's many other factors affecting handling, so their effectiveness probably varies a lot, truck to truck.

IMO, you don't know you have them until the rubber mounts go, and you get a knocking:icon-rolleyes:

Try it up and down your road without them, I'd be surprised if you notice any detrimental behavior. I don't know how the MOT tester would react, maybe someone else on here may know that.

Pros and cons i don't feel it causes any articulation problems and as i understand it the main purpose of the bar is to prevent turning over when you changed direction suddenly at high speed .

Oh and the speed was to make sure my sidestep cleared the bank , there's always method in my madness you know :icon-wink:

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Pros and cons i don't feel it causes any articulation problems and as i understand it the main purpose of the bar is to prevent turning over when you changed direction suddenly at high speed .

Oh and the speed was to make sure my sidestep cleared the bank , there's always method in my madness you know :icon-wink:

I don't think it would ever "prevent turning over when you changed direction suddenly at high speed" Shayne, but it may make the truck more stable at higher speeds.

You'll never know quite what it's doing until you try it without. Anyway, going back to the original question, I don't think you need to do anything, unless you want to.

:think: i don't think i will test the overturn thing :lol:, the reason for the original question seems to have gone amiss but as usual the answer has become clear to me while thinking about something else altogether . Of course the geometry on my bar is wrong because moving the body does not effect the chassis or anything bolted to it so i have over compensated for the lift by 50% and i should remove the bracket spacers to put things as close as possible to what mrT intended .

If i don't remove it . Cement mixer was delivered today so messing with the truck needs to be put on hold i think .

Back