Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sweden and Norway - August to September

garygiles1963

HI All,

I'm planning a trip through Sweden to North Kapp and then back down through Norways northan cost.

Here is the trip I'm planning.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=18O6jkmaEPCWcdOlo1ROGFjffeiA&usp=sharing

I'm hoping to start around mid August/September for 4 to 6 weeks.

I see there has already been a few posts for similar trips but in winter. I would appreciate any thoughts and advice for traveling at this time of year. Also any suggestions on the route. Is there anything I should add or take away.

Look forward to the replies.

Regards
Gary

Keep an eye out for us Gary as we're doing the whole Baltic circle in August. Going clockwise. Not doing Norway though.
UK, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania Poland, Germany, Netherlands, UK

I'll keep an eye out for you guys as I'm leaving BG on Aug 6th. going to N.Kapp. Plans are to be back by end of Aug. Will do Sofia, Wien, Prague, Berlin, Odense( Danmark). Than through the bridges and tunnels to Malmo area...Oslo, west of Oslo are the best fjords. After that will hit the roads upnorth visiting a bunch of islands such as Lofoten...N.Kapp. On the way back- Sweeden, Finland. Ferry from Helsinki to Estonia...Latvia, Litva, (Moldova and Romania transit). That should be a trip for atleast 6 weeks. I have only 25 days.
I.m taking the usual summer camping equipment + some thermo first layer just in case. After Oslo I'll be mostly wild camping. It is legal in Norway and Sweeden as long as you're not closer than some 100 yards to the nearest house. Unfortunately no offroading...I have no time any ways :)
I can't do it with my slow TLC80 in 25 day...will take wife's car BMW X5. Sacrifice ,,,,,:innocent:

Looks good
Apart from one bit
when coming south from Trondheim I strongly advise you reroute and come down a bit further west over the trollstigen mountain road
https://www.visitnorway.com/places-to-go/fjord-norway/trollstigen/

and followed by Geiranger Fjord, too good to miss.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geiranger

Amazing scenery and roads

And rejoin your route at Lom, before heading over past Galdhoppigen (norways highest mountain - worth spending a day hiking up this if you are into hill walking)

I have been that way and also your planned route on the main E16 drag, the e16 is pretty dull for that stretch.

remeber max speed limit in most of the roads is 50mph so factor that in your timings for distances

so take the lc80 :) George

jealous of your trips and going to Lofoten - on my list!
remember it rains a LoT in Norway so go prepared, awnings very useful
we have often stayed in the small Hutte at campsites, vary from 2 room small Hutte with no loo and basic hob to cook on, to full blown chalets. But in August most will be booked up probably

Last edited:
Hi All

Sorry for the late reply, for some reason I didn't get any email notifications.

Chris and George, definitely will keep an eye out. Hope your adventure goes well for you.

Andy, thanks so much for your recommendations. I will change and add them to my route.

Kind regards

Gary

If You need anything just ask the "locals" :innocent:

Jokes aside;
I can/will assist as I can on the Norwegian side.
Travelling second half of August means You are travelling when toe school holidays are done for. Wheich means alot less crowded camp sites & roads. Only tourist remains :laughing:
As You get into some altitude, You may very well experience sub Zero degrees at night in the end of August.

If Yoi intend to travel alot with ferries, its hard not to if You do the fas West route, get a "Ferrypass" & save a fortune.If You intend to travel on the bigger E-roads, sooner rather than later You will face tollroads. They are electronically collected, so either face the bill when it comes of get yourself an E-Tag from Autopass & again save a good deal of money.

IN PRINCIPAL You can look for NAF Camping if You are on the lower end of the quality&budget scale. NAF ist the equivalent to Your AA btw.
Most camp sites will be open to passing through guests.
Depending on where You travel, the socalled "free camping" referred to above is not quite as easy. You must stay no less than 100 meters from the closes building, not endager livestock or go onto farmland.
Pick up your litter & dont empty the toilette on the lawn....
Many laybys are being heavily targeted by certain travellers in HUGE caravans... Personally I don`t mix well with them.... so looking for more secluded spots may be good. Travelling the back roads will certainly give You WAY more scenery than the main roads.

Best maps are for free -> http://www.kartverket.no/Kart/

Feel free to ask :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Want some genuine pointers reg the (sourthrn bit) of the route?

How many are You travelling? Where in Bergen do You intend to stay?

HI

Not sure if I be staying in Bergan, as I have been there before, as beautiful as it is.

Really used Bergan in google to plan a route.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Regards

G.

As You leave Bergen, drive to Gjermundshavn (consider going through Os & riding the Hatvik-Venjaneset ferry) & take the ferry to Årsnes.
The stretch Årsnes-to the Folgefonna tunnel is abit narrow, but You will be OK.
Once You drive over the mountian there are a few tunnels. Some of them have the old road going over the mountain "besides" the tunnel. Enjoy the scenery.
When You come to Seljord, take a hard Right & drive along the shores of the Seljordwater. If You are lucky, You may see the Seljordmonster, a far cousine of the scottish Lock Ness monster......
From Seljord You follow the road south to Porsgrunn/Skien where You hit the E18.

I drive this road alot & I always avoid going through Notodden. The road E134 deteriorates alot after Seljord as You climb the Lifjell...

I see You most likely want to cross to Denmark by ferry.

You may consider using Fjordline from Langesund. Saves some driving & most likely money compared to Color Line.

Use this site for frequent update on roads etc
http://www.vegvesen.no/en/Home

Need pointers North of Bergen perhaps?
You are mssing out some great spots in Sogn&Fjordane..........

Last edited:
Unfortunately we are missing the whole of Norway. We just don't have time to venture that far over. We're away three weeks and need every day of that so far to get around. We'll have to come back for Norway another time.

Went to norway last year. Loved it. Fantastic people and scenery. Cant wait to go back and go much further north. Does it get easier to free camp further up?

so take the lc80 :) George

jealous of your trips and going to Lofoten - on my list!
remember it rains a LoT in Norway so go prepared, awnings very useful
we have often stayed in the small Hutte at campsites, vary from 2 room small Hutte with no loo and basic hob to cook on, to full blown chalets. But in August most will be booked up probably

Andy, hop on a plane to either Malmo or Oslo and I'll pick you up.Passing by Malmo-Aug 11, Oslo Aug 12...And will dropp you off in Helsinki approx 10 days later.

If You need anything just ask the "locals" :innocent:

Jokes aside;
I can/will assist as I can on the Norwegian side.
Travelling second half of August means You are travelling when toe school holidays are done for. Wheich means alot less crowded camp sites & roads. Only tourist remains :laughing:
As You get into some altitude, You may very well experience sub Zero degrees at night in the end of August.

If Yoi intend to travel alot with ferries, its hard not to if You do the fas West route, get a "Ferrypass" & save a fortune.If You intend to travel on the bigger E-roads, sooner rather than later You will face tollroads. They are electronically collected, so either face the bill when it comes of get yourself an E-Tag from Autopass & again save a good deal of money.

IN PRINCIPAL You can look for NAF Camping if You are on the lower end of the quality&budget scale. NAF ist the equivalent to Your AA btw.
Most camp sites will be open to passing through guests.
Depending on where You travel, the socalled "free camping" referred to above is not quite as easy. You must stay no less than 100 meters from the closes building, not endager livestock or go onto farmland.
Pick up your litter & dont empty the toilette on the lawn....
Many laybys are being heavily targeted by certain travellers in HUGE caravans... Personally I don`t mix well with them.... so looking for more secluded spots may be good. Travelling the back roads will certainly give You WAY more scenery than the main roads.

Best maps are for free -> http://www.kartverket.no/Kart/

Feel free to ask :)
Very, very helpful information. Thanks alot Peter!

yep new route looks better - but i would do this section across to town to Geiranger,
annotated on map

and option to drive old Stryn mountain road - we cycled it - quite and good veiws and pass summer ski station
good campsite along by shore of Stryn lake too

Capture.JPG

I just spent 2 weeks at my cabin 1 mile from Langesund, watching the ferry pass a hundred times i think... amazing weather was a bonus! :)

Keep an eye out for us Gary as we're doing the whole Baltic circle in August. Going clockwise. Not doing Norway though.
UK, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania Poland, Germany, Netherlands, UK
If you are going through Lithuania then a interesting and worthwhile stop is the Hill of Crosses in Šiauliai.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_of_Crosses

Nice.

I lived 2 years in Norway, Oslo area.

How about Reversing your route, he, he, he,

Drive up through Denmark, then from Larvik, (Color Line I guess from Hirtshals) on the way driving to Oslo, at Sandefjord, is the old whaling station and museum is, and whaling ships tied up.

Have 2 days in Oslo, then head to Stavanger, then onto Bergen, then right up the West coast, and blasting back home via Sweden.

Just an option.

Gra

Last edited:
Back