Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Swing out wheel hanger

BenjiCarlos

Country Flag
uk
Hi guys, been offered an original toyota wheel carrier for 100 squids which suits me just fine as I don't want a big clunky aftermarket bumper. Only thing that worries me is the fitment onto the body. Has anyone seen any fitting instructions for these? I really don't want to drill the body as it's mint but needs must... Going to fit a 33" spare on it, should be strong enough right?

Have a search on Jon Wildsmiths posts for fitting one of these badboys...

Left. Any insight on how these are fixed?

Sorry, I was giving a concise answer to your question.
To have it fitting well I guess you could do worse than taking the measurements off someones already fitted one ( preferably a factory fitted one) as it means drilling holes in two places on the rear wing, the top and bottom tailgate also. I've fitted one, had help from someone who knew what they were doing and a truck to take measurements from. It took a bit of time but we got it to shut pretty much like a factory one.
AFAIR there are bracings built into the factory bodyshells but large washers do much the same job but a fair proportion of the wheels weight is taken by the tailgates too.
If you don't want to drill the body there is a version which bolts to the factory bumper ( OEM too) somehow and these occasionally come up.

I fitted the non Toyota equivalent to my 100 series after reading Jon Wildsmiths post. You can order the bottom mounting bracket from Toyota AFAIR 60 quid. For the top bracket I laid layers of fibre glass matting around the inside of the bodywork to add some stiffness. 2 Years on no problems so far.

DSC_0016.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back