Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Swingout spare wheel carrier

stumog

Country Flag
england
So I have been busy the last few days build my swing out carrier.

It's been made to accommodate up to a 35" tyres as you never really know what you will end up with.

Going to also add a shelf above the tyre to hold chainsaws and other stuff I may not want in the boot going on.

Need to do a bit more over the next week or so as I have ran out of scrap metal that is lying around.

Don't moan to much at the welding as I am using a welder that just has no guts to it or any adjustment.

20170401_180934.jpg
20170401_180934.jpg
20170401_180928.jpg
20170401_180439.jpg
20170401_180928.jpg
20170401_180426.jpg
20170401_180415.jpg
20170401_175603.jpg
20170401_175600.jpg
20170401_175554.jpg
20170331_152527.jpg

Looking good Stu!

From my experience (ARB rear swing out) you will get quite a bit of "wag" at the wheel, forwards and backwards.

When new, I'm sure this will appear to be less than a mm, but as time goes on, it will increase.

Ok, regular maintenance of the bearing will reduce this, but the wheel mount bracket on yours looks mighty close to the tailgate.

I recommend at least, a strategically placed hefty rubber stopper, to prevent metal-to-metal contact.

Clive your 100% right.

What I have not done yet 8s made the stopper and catch bracket that will stop the mount hitting the back door.

In its current position is just where it's sitting not a final place.

Looks good.

never use a bubble on a vehicle..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry Karl I only have 1 x spindle but do have another idea for them now......

Stu, great work but how have you attached the darn thing with a std bumper?

I shaped a piece of box to follow the contours of the chassis. and welded straight on.

Once that bit is looking a bit better and painted I will take some pictures.

Sorry only had the 1 pivot.

May have a go at a different type of pivot if people are looking for something but they are alot of work.

Looks great Stu i was just wondering if you will put a breakaway cable or something on it as a fail safe for that one day you drive off having forgot to lock it shut .

Or have a slam latch that locks when you close it? Trouble is it seems these things benefit from being pulled up tight with an over centre catch like those on a a tipper side. There's some serious forces acting on them. I wouldn't mind betting it goes over a tonne during heavy braking.

Last edited:
Or have a slam latch that locks when you close it? Trouble is it seems these things benefit from being pulled up tight with an over centre catch like those on a a tipper side. There's some serious forces acting on them. I wouldn't mind betting it goes über a tonne during heavy braking.

The ARB swing-out has a slam-catch and it works very well.

There's also a gas ram which slows the action down and prevents such inertia forces, and a hefty locking pin in the open position, should you need to drive with it open, or otherwise to hold it open on inclines.

Operating a swing out on the driveway is one thing, yet in practice, it can be quite ungainly when opening it "uphill".

Done some more today to do enough to get it fitted and usable.

Did forget to order a number plate so hope I don't get stopped tomorrow.

Need to add some kind of check strap and mount the light on the pole behind the wheel.
20170603_170037.jpg
20170603_170037.jpg
20170603_165531.jpg
20170603_165522.jpg

If I were you I would unscrew your number plate and gaffer tape it inside the back window. I picked up a machine on a plant trailer once and forgot to put my number plate on the back. I was only on the road 10 minutes before I got stopped by a plain clothes police car…:icon-rolleyes::oops:

Back