Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Swivel housing shims

warrenpfo

Right i have rebuilt and am assembling my front swivel housing and on giving everything a good clean and torquing the bolts and nuts to 65nm as per the spec i am getting 7kg on the scale with a 0.2 shim on each side.

I never measured it prior to stripping it down so cant say if it was right or wrong but to get each side in spec i am going to need quite a fem more shims on each side. I just wanted to ask those who have done it in the past is it common to have 4 or 5 shims on each side or there something wrong here.

I have made sure the bearing races are all the way home but cant for the life of me see where i might be going wrong.

Just asking

Scrap that it would help if I had the scale in kg and not lb. such a stupid but easy mistake to make with a digital scale.

So to close it's just about perfect at 3kg

Happy days

When I rebuilt my hubs I only had to replace the swivel bearings on one side as the other was fine. I replaced the original shims (2 from memory) and steering load felt exactly the same as before and more or less smack in the middle of the adjustment range on the scale. I could just have been lucky but I would say no, it isn't normal to have 4 or 5 shims on each side.

Can you post the numbers on the taper bearings on both parts of the bearing please warren.
Stu

I will dig the box out as its in the bin outside, 2 sec

All the bearings for both sides thats king bearings top and bottom and the 2 wheel bearings all Koyo came to just on £100

63488ca096d9cf587a5599326c5edb01.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back