Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

swivel /knuckle seals

Gary Mead

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Treated the old girl to a wash and bit of a tidy up today and while having a nose around underneath noticed the n/s swivel/knuckle seals have gone,grease and mess all over place,it always seems to be this side that goes,what is the reason?and what is the cure?

thanks folks

gary

Gary, firstly there is a bit more to it than that. The wipers and felts aren't really there to keep stuff in. That's a bit of a misnomer I'm afraid. They are more there to keep stuff out. Oil and gunk leaking out means that you inner axle oil seals have gone. Your wipers are probably fine.

Don't panic though. It's not major, but need sorting.

Chris

The near side generally goes first because of the longer halfshafts.

What is the state of the diff breather?

Julian, have you ever used these Speedisleeves on shafts? I have a pair of spare shafts that need tidying up a bit and I figured that sleeving them might be a good option.

Gary - before you dash to the main dealer for inner seals, have a look at these. They are stupidly cheap but it's the postage that's a killer. I would deff place an order for say 4 if we could get a bulk order together and split the postage. I like spares on the shelf. What can I say.
They do a whole axle rebuild kit as well. Milner stock some pretty good bits for this job too now. The wipers are genuine and the bearings are OEM fitment. Some of the seals are a bit questionable.

Chris

http://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/front ... -seal-fj80

Chris said:
Julian, have you ever used these Speedisleeves on shafts? I have a pair of spare shafts that need tidying up a bit and I figured that sleeving them might be a good option.
could really do with some of these myself, both front and rear.....
any feedback?

Plenty from themselves! Ha Ha. But have to say that they look pretty good to me. I'd like a transfer case rebuild kit, but not sure that they have the right one.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris said:
Gary - before you dash to the main dealer for inner seals, have a look at these. They are stupidly cheap but it's the postage that's a killer. I would deff place an order for say 4 if we could get a bulk order together and split the postage. I like spares on the shelf.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/front ... -seal-fj80

Chris,

I've got a set of these ready to go in. I got mine through Slee as I couldn't get Marlin to answer emails :roll:

Ready to go in - like your needle rollers Brett :whistle:

C

Not used them Chris, but believe others have had some success with them.

Usually if we see a bit of a groove we just sink the inner axle seal in a bit further to shift the wear point which usually helps although the speedy sleeves look handy.

One word of warning with the HD inner axle seals, they aren't recommended for day to day use because they will wear a groove in your halfshafts - only really intended for rock crawlers that have regular maintenance and strip downs.

Julian Voelcker said:
]One word of warning with the HD inner axle seals, they aren't recommended for day to day use because they will wear a groove in your halfshafts - only really intended for rock crawlers that have regular maintenance and strip downs.
Julian,

Have you got any actual examples of this, as I've read about it a couple of times but never managed to find any real evidence?

I would have thought if they were not suitable for every day use, Marlin would have added a disclaimer similar to longfield have done with their CV's?

I don't have any pictures but I fitted a set of the Marlin HD seals to the red car. They did wear grooves into the shafts. To repair I used speedi sleeves and fitted genuine seals back in.

Ian

I chatted to Christo at Slee Off Road in the states who sells a lot of them and he was advising steering clear of them for day to day use.

That's pretty conclusive there JV. Nice one.

Chris

Ian Rubie said:
I don't have any pictures but I fitted a set of the Marlin HD seals to the red car. They did wear grooves into the shafts. To repair I used speedi sleeves and fitted genuine seals back in.
Ian, over what sort of distance did that wear take place? I was under the impression that you didn't do enormous mileage in that truck, so it sounds like the wear could be quite rapid :think:

Have to say the Marlin seals did appeal to me as I figured that doing moderate miles as I do, the wear wouldn't be a big deal... But if they eat into the shaft in 10k miles, then :naughty:

Andrew Prince said:
over what sort of distance did that wear take place?

It was noticable after about 6k miles. Not bad enough to cause a problem but enough for me to want to fix it and get rid of the seals.

Ian

I think I might leave them on the shelf then :thumbdown:

Back