Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tacoma Imposter Seeks Advice About Land Cruisers

platinum

Country Flag
united_states
Hello everyone,

My name is Jonathan and I thought I'd pop in here and see if I could learn a bit more about the different Land Cruiser models out there before I buy one.

I currently drive a 96 Tacoma (22RE 4x4) that has treated me very well and had the mad notion to put it up for trade a while back. Many offers came in, but the one that stood out, before I changed my mind, was a 1991 Land Cruiser. I did a little reading and realized this might be the vehicle I've really been after all of these years. For now, that particular Land Cruiser disappeared as an option, but I keep seeing them on the road, since then, and an idea is starting to form.

I would like to narrow down what the most ideal version is and try to find one to build up. Right now, I'm thinking along the lines of an early to mid-nineties model. In the US, from what I've seen, they basically all come with inline-6 motors that are known for their dependability, thanks to gear-based timing, etc--but not-so-great fuel efficiency.

I would like to find a relatively clean one and drive it for a bit, then put a diesel in it. I've heard of a few options here. One is a Toyota diesel, which I imagine would be the easiest route, but I've also seen examples where people have opted for a Cummins turbo diesel--somethings coupled with an Allison 6-spd. I'm not sure if I'd like to keep it looking stock or make it to more of a survival vehicle. I'm leaning towards the latter option.

You may have gathered this already, but I'm shooting for the best of everything here. Utility, economy, and performance. Something like this actually seems possible with the right combination--and, of course, a decent investment.

Anyway, a little about me, so I seem a bit less like some random internet stranger. As I touched on in my bio, I specialize in laser shows for a living, sometimes working side jobs when things are slow or I'm regrouping from a busy season. I got into lasers while I was working with video projection, around 10 years ago.

I've lived in Oregon, near Portland, for most of my life, although I've lived a few other places including Atlanta, LA and Seattle. I know my way around automobiles, but have, so far, avoided major projects.

From my profile pic, you can guess I'm also interested in scuba diving. I picked that photo as it seems fitting to represent my diving into this new area of interest. I've only been a few times, but I'm sure I'll end up underwater in the near future.

Cheers!

Jonathan
aka: platinum (an old BBS name that eventually became my go-to forum/IRC name, by default)

Welcome aboard Platinum !

Well it seems you have a plan brewed, before you “dive in” to the Cruiser world!

Here in Europe (maybe I shouldn't speak on behalf of the UK) we’re blessed with the 4.2 liter straight 6 diesel as an option, so our choices are a bit wider than they may be in the ‘States.

I think the swap from a petrol to a diesel will be quite a task, although it’s been done many times. These trucks will never be economical though, so I would suggest you give up on that idea... :lol:

The 80 series is the best (IMO) so I’m interested to see what you decide to pursue...

Hi Jonathan and welcome to this most friendly of forums. That's an excellent intro except for lack of pics, I'm sure we can allow some of the Tacoma if only to satisfy my curiosity. :)

From what you say your choice looks to be an 80 series. Have you considered importing an 80 series 4.2 diesel? It is probably mechanically your best route (if not perhaps financially) and would save having to source a 1HD-T or 1HD-FT engine and all the trouble doing the conversion. A post 94 will give you a slightly updated model with the 24 valve 1HD-FT but a 94 12valve 1HD-T would be slightly less sought after, slightly less powerful but with slightly more torque. Auto boxes and brakes are improved for that year (94 onwards) too and the auto boxes I'm told are bomb proof.

I'm not sure what's involved in importing one into the US with emissions laws etc but someone on here will probably know. Alternately I believe the Cummins conversion is a good one, it's just the 1HD-T is a superb engine that starts on half a turn of the key in just about any weather.

Good luck with your search. Some laser show pics would be good too. :)

Best wishes
Richard

Hi Jonathan and welcome.

We love all interest in Landcruiser's and all members here are die hard enthusiast that have a host of experience and knowledge.

Having a 1994 1-HDT model 80 series myself here in Cyprus and a interest in moving to the states I certainly would like to take it with me once it hits the 25 year classic import rule allowance.

I would agree with star cruiser on buying a Japanese import if possible as its all stock ready with a diesel engine all ready with only a issue of it being RHD. Any attempts to change the engine with cummins and even better a Toyota equivalent is gonna be quite costly so you looking to add $10,000 for a conversion.

May I suggest this company selling import directly in the US that I feel is the best route to follow.

http://www.landcruisersdirect.com

Wishing you happy holidays and best of luck

Dervis

Hi Platinum/Jonathan and welcome to the forum,
Your intended entrance to the joys of Cruiser ownership sounds ideal, my entrance was a spur of the moment purchase, kept for three years then sold for financial reasons.
But when finances allowed I soon got another, a 1994 1-HDT, which is still with me 14yrs later.
I think if you can get one an 80 series would be the job for you.
From your post it looks like you've already been bitten by the bug.
Wishing you many years of Cruiser ownership

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

I'm seeing Land Cruisers everywhere now. I will definitely consider an import, although the prospect of buying one cheap here and 'building it' is attractive as well.

I'd ask what the "best" 90s model is, but I'm sure that's a matter of opinion. I am defaulting to somewhere around 1994, for now.

Will be back with some questions, eventually.

Best,

Jonathan

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

I'm seeing Land Cruisers everywhere now. I will definitely consider an import, although the prospect of buying one cheap here and 'building it' is attractive as well.

I'd ask what the "best" 90s model is, but I'm sure that's a matter of opinion. I am defaulting to somewhere around 1994, for now.

Will be back with some questions, eventually.

Best,

Jonathan

The later the model the better they got. The 6cyl Cummings is quite an involving conversion but does give a lot of torque but will be noisier than a 24V 1-HDFT unit. There are quite a few You Tube vids on the subject so I'd have a look at those.
Also the 80's can have a rust issue so I'd look at a west coast truck.
BTW Welcome along, as Rich (StarCruiser) said, everyone here is here to help.
Imports tend to be RHD so that may be an issue unless you source one from a LHD warm country but they tend to be a bit pricey from there.

. . .Imports tend to be RHD so that may be an issue unless you source one from a LHD warm country but they tend to be a bit pricey from there.
This is an important detail I had overlooked. And now the pendulum swings again. Thanks for that. I knew I was missing something..

Yo Platinum,
There are plenty of people on this site who will give you a whole bunch of sound Landcruiser advice; I am not quite in that league and I have yet to be shot down for asking too many questions. Finding the right 80 takes time. But once you have one your driving experience changes.

Not many of us dive on this site..I do. We don't wear shorties across the Atlantic, it's the world of drysuits and lousy visibility. If you want the best diving in the world, head east (well for us it is, you can also head west to Asia Pacific). Post a pic when you find your 80.

I wouldn’t rule out considering an import from the Middle East. I don’t know anything about the form filling or market compatability, but you’d probably be limited to petrol (sorry gasoline) which are very reliable in the 80.

You can avoid the expensive EPA import crap and. Paperwork by importing anything over 25 years old. My suggestion buy a 91 or 92 HDJ 80 from Southern European area.

Or wait till 2019 and I will sell you one of mine.....

Expedition Portal often has some Land Cruisers for sale that are already State side - they vary from older 70s to the 80s.

However, they do have a premium on them that reflects the risks and work associated with importing them.

There are occasionally some LHD ones, but mainly ex-Japan RHD. There is one guy who is starting to bring them in from South America, so they'd be LHD.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=Lexus LX450

Petrol/gas is cheaper than water in the states and theres plenty of dry states that won't cause rust .

I saw one of those the other day. It was inspiring. (https://imgur.com/a/twbTm)

While I am aware that petrol is cheaper here, as I'm sure you know, diesel is much more efficient and offers a lot more torque for going up hills and towing things. That's what I'm after.

There's also bio-diesel, which would be nice to have as an option, should I ever find myself with restaurant-owning friends, etc. I wouldn't mind driving the stock petrol version around for a while though.

J

The 25 year rule to avoid EPA import regs is the way to go. And in Southern Europe, France/Spain/Italy they shall have less rust issues. And you will get a LHD HDJ 80..

The 25 year rule to avoid EPA import regs is the way to go. And in Southern Europe, France/Spain/Italy they shall have less rust issues. And you will get a LHD HDJ 80..
Good point. 93-94 J80 seems like what I'm after anyway.

J

I have 3 1994. ready for you to choose from....
Still need some time to save up here. My line of work has me constantly reinvesting most of anything I make. I'll definitely be in touch when the time comes though!

Back