Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

tail gate storage.

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
I need to draw a line under this project now, and clean up that particular corner of the workshop involved in this for new adventures!

here is the link to the original thread, https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/tail-gate-storage.147542/

I'm very happy with mine and it works well, that was the original plan to make one how I wanted it.

before I tidy everything up and move on I can give people the option to have one of these.

the price would be £300 plus £20 postage. I would need a minimum order of five to make this price point.

cheers all.

Had one of these from CG and they are superbly made out of 5mm thick Ally. I'll very soon be fitting mine so will have some pics. Everything is supplied save for any method of putting the carpet door card back which to be fair was not in the original brief. I've found B&Q do self adhesive Velcro squares and rounds so I may well use some of these.

Are they strong enough to stand on? My tailgate is regularly used as a means to access the roof, open the rooftent etc, which has caused it to become somewhat deformed!

Are they strong enough to stand on? My tailgate is regularly used as a means to access the roof, open the rooftent etc, which has caused it to become somewhat deformed!
Exactly the reason, more than the storage actually, that I got mine. Just fitted it this morning and the tailgate back was around 15mm down. At 5mm thick, they're chunky and I would be most surprised if they deformed too much.

my 80 is my only car, I use it for work and pleasure. I stand on it and the pair of us sit on it all the time. I rest my tools on it whilst at work, I do have a cover that drops down onto the tailgate because constantly dragging heavy tool boxes across the tail gate would ruin any surface including the carpet.

ive had no problems with it.

oh, I'm 16 stone of pure beer storage..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Fitted mine today. I'll post up some photos when it stops raining!

If I wanted one for the 105, would that be another count on this, or is that going to be an entirely different batch by way of size / fitting etc ?

If I wanted one for the 105, would that be another count on this, or is that going to be an entirely different batch by way of size / fitting etc ?
It would literally be starting again im afraid kb. If there was demand, no problem, i could start this weekend. Cant see it myself though.

I once made a draw system for the 100 series for a very reasonable price.. :D

I thought so. :(

If you ever think of doing these for the 100's I am down for one.

Some photos of mine being installed.
IMG_2017.JPG
Marking out to CG's supplied drawing
IMG_2018.JPG
Didn't take long with a jigsaw. Drilled the corners first to save any cracking.
Note:- first remove the number plate light wiring from the inner skin or you'll jigsaw through it like I almost did!
IMG_2020.JPG
There's two braces front to back at 1/3 and 2/3 which cut through with the jigsaw easily. I then drilled out the spot welds and removed the stub ends of these as they would be sharp and did nothing any more.
IMG_2019.JPG
I then bent the rods for the catches so they sat back out the way, which took a little time to get to be operable again, finally resulting in tweaking the lever round attached to the handle.
IMG_2022.JPG
Before
IMG_2023.JPG
After, you can just see the top arm twisted slightly to the left, it's probably 8mm or so from original. The other side can be unwound on the thread at the bottom of the release mech.
I also replaced the anti rattle foam bits with a car sponge cut down the middle and glued in with Trim Bond.
IMG_2021.JPG
Deburred the edges, vacuumed out the swarf, then painted the cut edges of the metal. I then tidied the wires before attaching the hatch with the screws and nuts supplied.
IMG_2028.JPG
I was hoping the hatch would lift the bent door skin, which it did but not more than half way so a little adjustment will need doing to my tailgate…I knew it was bent but I didn't realise it was so bad.

At this point rain stopped play so more photos to come.

Last edited:
Some photos of mine being installed.
View attachment 131403
Marking out to CG's supplied drawing
View attachment 131404
Didn't take long with a jigsaw. Drilled the corners first to save any cracking.
Note:- first remove the number plate light wiring from the inner skin or you'll jigsaw through it like I almost did!
View attachment 131406
There's two braces front to back at 1/3 and 2/3 which cut through with the jigsaw easily. I then drilled out the spot welds and removed the stub ends of these as they would be sharp and did nothing any more.
View attachment 131405
I then bent the rods for the catches so they sat back out the way, which took a little time to get to be operable again, finally resulting in tweaking the lever round attached to the handle.
View attachment 131408
Before
View attachment 131409
After, you can just see the top arm twisted slightly to the left, it's probably 8mm or so from original. The other side can be unwound on the thread at the bottom of the release mech.
I also replaced the anti rattle foam bits with a car sponge cut down the middle and glued in with Trim Bond.
View attachment 131407
Deburred the edges, vacuumed out the swarf, then painted the cut edges of the metal. Then tidied the wires before attaching the hatch with the screws and nuts supplied.
View attachment 131402
I was hoping the hatch would lift the bent door skin, which it did but not more than half way so a little adjustment will need doing to my tailgate…I knew it was bent but I didn't realise it was so bad.

At this point rain stopped play so more photos to come.
I was getting the six foot level out of the motor and thought of you sc!
20170812_121555.jpg

I finally got back to the tailgate hatch yesterday and decided to give it a bit of a pull to try and straighten things out. With an offcut of ply and a couple of clamps I managed to all but remove the bow. :)
IMG_2038.JPG

I've now got so much stuff in there you've really got to have your wits about you when you open the tailgate, it's seriously heavy even with (lots of mostly) lightweight gear in there.

I was thinking of putting some sort of lining inside but this would seriously cut down the space available for storage. You do have to be a bit careful you don't foul the opening wires otherwise the lock handle gets a bit stiff to operate.

The verdict…
I'm so glad I went for this. I hadn't really realised how useful it would be. It's ideal for stuff like recovery gear that you don't often use or it could accommodate everyday stuff. Had these been around when I first thought of the gullwings, these would have done the job I wanted a Gullwing to do but my requirements now mean that having both the tailgate hatch and the gullwings is going to be very useful indeed!

One last point, I had planned to somehow fix the old door card back on top of the hatch for protection but that didn't work because every time you went to peel off the Velcro, one or more of them would part company with the hardboard backing rather annoyingly meaning I had to replace Velcro pads every time I opened it up. I've pretty well decided to glue carpet tiles on top and make the cutouts myself.

In the meantime here's the finished article. IMG_2045.JPG

Looks great rich, really pleased your pleased:thumbup:

i see its all packed up and ready for romania.

the space in there is genuinely useful.

ive a couple of these left over from the latest batch ready for posting..

If it’s any recommendation, i’ve seen both Chas’ and Rich’s as installed, and they’re the dog’s danglies...
:thumbup:

ive a couple of these left over from the latest batch ready for posting..
Definitely worth having, a very professional job, they look good, give extra storage and I think the thickness strengthens the lower tailgate. Highly recommended.

Back