tailgate extension

Jon Wildsmith

Super Moderator
Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
england
Another really technical one this :) Make some brackets to bolt onto the wheel carrier:

IMAG0231.jpg

Varnish a bit of 12mm ply and stick two holes in it to match the brackets:

IMAG0232.jpg

Just gives me a bit more space for the cooker and still have access to the contents of the boot without getting burnt :lol:

IMAG0234.jpg

You couldn't sit on it but it's rigid enough for it's intended purpose.

Tidy Jon - looking forward to a bit of product testing next week :mrgreen:

Very smart and simple, just what a good mod should be :D

That's just the mod I was thinking of for the 80 but I was going to use clamp type brackets. Did you just weld al;l that extra bracketry on to the wheel carrier or do 100s come with clever, extra bits to bolt to?

What did you use to cover over the hole in the sideboard Jon? Mrs W is bound to notice at some point. :shock:

C

Nick Shepherd said:
That's just the mod I was thinking of for the 80 but I was going to use clamp type brackets. Did you just weld al;l that extra bracketry on to the wheel carrier or do 100s come with clever, extra bits to bolt to?
I welded extra bits of bar with holes in to the carrier when I was fitting it (the carrier) in hopes they would come in handy for bolting stuff to :) Clamps would also be fine it's not like it's supporting a lot of weight. The board is sized to just slide down the side of one of the storage areas. It's a bit of an experiment really, for a quick brew I don't need more space but I find frying the bacon I could do with just a bit more but not so much I want to put a proper table out ...

:lol: @ Chris

I haven't sized up the area properly yet, I was thinking of bracing it back to the top with a wire and clip arrangement so it would be adjustable for angle but if it will sit on the tailgate and that's all it needs then it's tidier that way. Having an L shaped kitchen is always easier.

Is the carrier a 100 fitment or did you pinch an HDJ81 one*?

* I know, I should do a search and stop being a lazy bugger :D

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I thought about trying to make it adjustable for level and decided that was overcomplicating things way too much. If it turns out to be useful but would be more useful still with leveling then I'll explore that but I could also find it just doesn't work how I thought and see if I can sneak it back onto the sideboard and make Mrs W think she imagined it going missing :mrgreen:

worked well on our trip to the pyrenees with a little packing between the tailgate and table, sometimes a box of matches and sometimes a tin of sardines :lol:

IMG_1957.JPG

Jon

I just LOVE this mod! Why because it's nice and simple (ie: even I could put this together) and it does exactly what it's designed to do. For me this would make a great place for my laptop or a single viewing station. Thank you again for this great tip!

John

The Dark Dude.

Back