Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Taking longer to start after sitting

MisterCruiser

Country Flag
ireland
My cruiser had a non-return valve fitted by it's previous owner in the return hose near the tank, I assume as a cheap way to fix this issue.

However, I have done work on the tank and renewed hoses, etc,,, and I didn't replace this 1 way valve in the hose and hence now my cruiser takes longer to start after parking up. It starts fine immediately after switching off and and restarting.

I'm really not in the mood for cutting my hoses and going back in there to re-fit the 1 way valve, I'd rather fix it properly and I don't mind if it costs a bit more to fix it properly.

Can the Suction control valve that I've read of over the yrs on this forum cause this issue? Is the "Suction" control valve and "Spill control valve" referring to the same component?

Also, please see another thread of mine where I seen the primer head leaking but only when actually pressing the primer to bleed the system after I replaced hoses. It doesn't actually leak from here during or after driving so can I rule this out or can this be letting in air and causing my issue even though no fuel leak is evident from there apart from that 1 time I primed it. Just wondering should I replace this first, I don't mind spending some money on it but at the same time I don't want replacing parts I don't need to.
Leaking at fuel hand pump primer - pic - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Anyone got some suggestions on how to diagnose this problem or try narrow it down to a certain part?

Last edited:
Suction/spill same thing but the check valve is a quick and easy fix when air is getting in and the leak can't be found . Fuel filter primer leaks are notoriously difficult to detect .

I unscrewed the cap on mine and drenched it with silicone spray hoping to bring rubber seals back to life and air in fuel has never been a problem since , so why not give that a go because even if its a temporary fix it lets you know you found the culprit .

I replaced the primer with a new genuine one, and a new fuel filter when I was at it. The old primer was clearly leaking fuel externally when pumping it, I thought it might have been letting in air. However, I still have the same issue.

It needs to turn over for about 30secs after sitting for a bit and there's a bit of smoke whilst cranking. Does the smoke suggest a lack of fuel issue upon starting?

It's hardly the glow plugs, they'd hardly be required unless freezing?
The leak off pipes are steel, so it's obviously not perished hoses letting in air. Injector area seems dry.

How do I check if it's leaking back from the fuel filter, if it is doing this does it empty the filter completely? I'm thinking, if I just take a hose off and some fuel comes out how do I know if the filter has allowed a bit to drain back or not. What's the easiest way to check fuel is draining back to the tank?

It's still harder to start after pumping the primer by hand!
Does this fact rule out a draining back to tank issue?

What else can I check that would cause a longer cold / cool start with no other running issues.

Last edited:
Ok, I was mistaken, had only fitted the new primer, hadn't a lot of time to test it by hand properly.

So, it does start normally after I prime it by hand with the new primer, the old one wasn't making any difference probably as it was leaking at the cap.

I'm also not using the original tank; I'm using a temporary tank that just has a supply / return and a vent outlet. I just put this at under the middle where the metal pipe turns into rubber, and I ran a full rubber hose in place of the other original full length metal pipe.
So I can rule out the original tank and it's metal pipework.

So if it's still draining back to the temp tank can the only place my issue can be is in the hoses between the tank and filter / pump or could the pump itself or some other component cause it to drain back?

Pull this cap off , undo the locknut and turn the centre screw clockwise just a fraction say from 12 oclock to 2 oclock .

Effectively your turning up the fuel but its timing really . Can't imagine why it might cure your problem but it costs nothing to give it a go .

Don't turn it up too much it can cause a runaway engine set to detonate .

1663278787763.png

Back