Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Taking the seats out of a 120

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
It would appear that the mammoth wash I had after Lincomb as conducted by the fire brigade. Soon after it started smelling. They did not tell me they had hosed down the carpets.

I stuck a dehumidifier in for a couple of days with closed windows. It sucked out about 3 cups of water and stopped. I figured it was all dry.
Then the smell got really bad. :sick:
After standing for a week with closed windows you felt quite ill after getting in.

I pulled up the boot carpet and it was still damp under there. I checked under the driver's seat and it too was still damp. :( :twisted:
I think the problem is that the carpet is actually plastic so any liquid which makes it under the carpet has no chance of drying out as the carpet cannot "breath".

So, seeing as we have 30 minutes of sunshine this week I thought it's best to take the carpet out, jetwash it front and back and allow it to dry nicely in the sun.

[attachment=6:3cwytwzd]WP_000284.jpg[/attachment:3cwytwzd]

[attachment=5:3cwytwzd]WP_000283.jpg[/attachment:3cwytwzd]

Now this is where some planning would have been helpful :whistle:
I walked round to start on the other seat and stood there like a fool. I had parked so close to the wall I could not really get in. You'll recall the driver's seat is now next to the truck. :oops:

After having a bit of a laugh, I was on the phone with Tony. He reminded me of the stories of the airbags deploying if you fiddle with them while the batteries are connected. I agreed that it would be a good idea to disconnect the batteries. I clamber back in and try undo the seat. Wait, it's a bit far forward. I'll just press the but....
:twisted: :twisted: Dammit! Damned electric seats. Out come the socket extensions and we're back in business. :dance:

Everything else pretty straight forward. Could be done in about 30-45 minutes if you plan it well.

[attachment=4:3cwytwzd]WP_000285.jpg[/attachment:3cwytwzd]

[attachment=3:3cwytwzd]WP_000286.jpg[/attachment:3cwytwzd]

[attachment=2:3cwytwzd]WP_000288.jpg[/attachment:3cwytwzd]

I wonder what this is? it's a yellow course powder. I later notice that a piece of yellow foam is missing from the driver's side carpet. I'm going with: A mouse has made a house :shock: I'll take the centre console off tomorrow when I get home. Wonder if they broke my ATRAC which is why I got stuck? :whistle: :whistle:
[attachment=1:3cwytwzd]WP_000294.jpg[/attachment:3cwytwzd]

Here's a 120 without seats. Should I put a bed in?
[attachment=0:3cwytwzd]WP_000295.jpg[/attachment:3cwytwzd]

All in all, I found about £7 in change, a 5US cents coin(??), moldy biltong slices (Dogs did not mind) and a piece of droewors which was rock hard.

Sorry CP are you actually breaking your 120? There is a demand for bits you know.

Sheesh, whadda mess.

Actually I seem to remember losing £10 in your truck, so you can owe me the £3 next rime you see me.

Chris

:lol: Made my evening when you called. Off course calling me for advice after I've had a few beers is never a good thing!

OMG CP I will say this just once,

That looks a total nightmare
Looks like you have actually broke your 120?

Sheesh, what a mega mess.

Gra

:lol: :lol: It does look like it's being broken. Maybe I should just keep going?

TBH, all the mess is me chucking all the various bits in the back. The cabling is not that bad. Only really one harness per front seat. The carputer is not going back in so all those cables will be gone.

I'll be sure to get your money back to you Chris. :whistle:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hope it all goes back together alright :D

and you find the mouse! - send a cat in :thumbup:

Looks like a disaster zone!! I bet you'll have a few pieces left over when you try to put everything together again.

How did you get to have to take such extreme action?

I am rather concerned about that.... All bolts went back into the holes so that should be ok :whistle: No seats flying around when I brake hard.

The smell was just getting worse and worse. There are still pools of water in crevices and this is from the week after Lincomb. The dehumidifier stopped drawing water out so it was not going to dry in the UK weather :(

Crispin said:

I wonder what this is? it's a yellow course powder. I later notice that a piece of yellow foam is missing from the driver's side carpet. I'm going with: A mouse has made a house :shock:

Did you not find a mouse nest in the fan unit? Same dude, perhaps?

I'm a tad concerned about your water in your crevices - you should towel-off more thoroughly :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was thinking about that nest post; I don't actually think it was me who had it but someone else on the other side who posted it a while back. Old age I tell ya....

I did not have a look yesterday. Will get in there this afternoon and check for nest / evidence. It looks like I have been driving around an old slimes dam (Remember them? Great fun)

re crevices: :lol:

:shock: imsure it will go back together fine :lol:

I reckon the mouse has kicked the bucket and that is your smell ;)

Joe

Having a look around yesterday with Tony, it looks like it was a piece of foam which was just rubbing against the transmission tunnel and wore away. Still confused though as to where the other piece of foam is though...

Had a sniff off the still wet carpet yesterday and it still smells :( Not nearly as bad but the smell is still in the underfelt.

I will drown it with fabreeze and see. Failing that, I'll cut out the underfelt and replace it with another piece. :(

Sure it'll all go back together... :whistle:

what about hiring a wet/dry vacuum and putting some chemical cleaner through it then sucking it nearly dry :?:

Joe

I would imagine that once you give the inside a good clean and shampoo / wet vac the carpets and allow to dry well that the smell should be all but gone

.......... thats once you're sure you dont have a drowned mouse anywhere :D

Well, seats and carpet back in, all put back together and only 2 spare screws. :whistle:
Took it for a drive and the front growls a lot. Sounds like I was using rather aggressive muddies. It's there while going in a straight line and worse when turning. It's even on both sides. Could it be wheel bearings? Doubtful as the one is only just over a year old, other one is original (107k on it)
No difference between accelerating or coasting in neutral so not ( :?: ) the front diff.

Hi Crispin,

The things you have fixed on your Land Cruiser never cease to amaze me. :shock:

Gra.

Crispin said:
Well, seats and carpet back in, all put back together and only 2 spare screws. :whistle:
Took it for a drive and the front growls a lot.
It's probably those two lost screws rattling about somewhere :lol:

Well I wasn't going to say,,,,,,,but since Chas has broke the ice, so to speak,

May be them's the 2 loose screws in your head? :lol: :lol:

Gra

Maybe it's hungry? You know you have to feed those mice every now and then... :lol:

I would check the wheel bearing for play first. Was there any noise before?

Back