Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tank straps don't fit properly, pics included. Worn?

MisterCruiser

Country Flag
ireland
There's something strange with my fuel tank, the straps don't fit around it properly, they were only bolted on at 1 end and the other end tied up since I owned it. I know the previous owner had the tank off.
Are they correct places to bolt each end of the straps in my pics below?

In the first pic, where I circled in red indicates where that end of the strap will only reach to when the tank is fitted. I've the tank up as far as it goes, the 2 protruding box sections of the floor match up with the indents on the to p of the tank and all my pipe work / filler pipes match up. But the tank straps don't reach up to the point where they can be bolted in, I can only bolt them in using an extra long bolt and threading the bolt in partially, the tank is free to move and sway like this. I can tie wrap it secure but would rather have it bolted or at least figure out why I can't bolt it. Is there something awry in my pics or is it possible the straps have deformed and gone out of shape.

If someone happens to have a pic of the fixing points on a colorado that'd be great, or has anyone had this issue, is it common the straps can go out of shape / wear and not reach?

IMG-2992.jpg

IMG-2994.jpg

IMG-2986.jpg

IMG-2991.jpg

In the parts diagram below, the circled red bit is where I am trying to bolt the end of the strap, so correct point, just won't reach.

90119-10814.png

Last edited:
Did you or has anyone Put new rubbers on the Tank straps since it was last off?....I put new rubbers on the straps on my 80, The rubber used was a Thicker Probably a couple of mm Thicker.... And it makes a big Difference all round when trying to get the straps back round Tank.. The Bolt was a mile off, but got it in the end with Brute force..... Your Strap brackets seem to be in the right place....

Its a bugger of a job , I can't remember how exactly i did it but i think i removed one bolt from each hinge which gave me just enough wiggle room to get a bite on the bolt your struggling with , take a couple of turns on it then replace the hinge bolt .

Your not wrong Shayne! I think i had every thing Pushed up with a bottle jack first, then One at a time got the strap bolts in! Would have been a better design if the Tank Guard was fitted independently to every thing else...

As above, a bit of a b*gger. It's a while since I did it, but I too seem to remember using some 2x4 and a jack (carefully) under the tank just to get the bolts started.

Yep like others I found it an only just fit. I supported the tank as Flint did and used a longer bolt and ran it up with the impact gun. The longer bolt is the help.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Can you see what you want a picture of with the fuel tank skid plate in place? If so I can get you a pic of mine at the weekend.

Can you see what you want a picture of with the fuel tank skid plate in place? If so I can get you a pic of mine at the weekend.

I appreciate the pic offer, but unfortunately it seems I have the straps in the correct points and that it's just very awkward according to the other folks.

I had the tank pushed up and held in place with a transmission jack, I think my straps are out of shape a bit as in creased, so won't flatten out when pulled ie: when bolted up with a longer bolt like I had, there is little gaps between the tank and straps where I can put my fingers in but the strap can't tighten properly I think, with the longer bolt it threaded right up to hit the body of the jeep and the strap was still a mile off down from its bolting point.

I'll try it again with the rubber covers off as someone else suggested above, as far as I know the rubber straps are original.

Cheers for the tips. :smile: I got the tank mounted properly tonight :) It was awkward enough, I drained the tank, again :tired: lol, was bit messy, in order to maneuver it easier. I jacked it up as before, don't know why it didn't want to work out last time. I took the rubbers off the straps first and it connected up, then was reluctant to undo them and re-fit the rubbers in case I had a fight on my hands again, but I did and they connected up again ok. It's always harder when you didn't take it apart or see how it was originally, previous owner had it tied up so I didn't know for sure if the mounting points I was struggling to reach were correct.

IMG-3007.jpg

IMG-3009.jpg

New suction pump (metal fuel pipes) fitted
IMG-3002.jpg

I've a question regards the purpose of the pipe seen sitting at the bottom of my tank? It goes from the main tank through a hole into a tray type thing :confused:
IMG-3001.jpg

I fitted a new non return valve, not sure if I need it with the new pipes but previous owner installed one and I didn't want to leave it out only to find I did need it and then have to start rooting at it again. Easier to just fit it now whilst I'm at it. It's bit difficult to fit it as short distance between the metal pipes and not much flex with the valve in the middle of the hose at the cross member.
IMG-3010.jpg

Brute Force and Madness will always win in the end!.....

Always tend to find that technique is the key to getting over most issues. Having hit a many walls have learnt there’s always a way forward.
Get Job there, good to see you getting it finished.

Back