Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tapatalk phpBB plugin?

ignat

Garage
Country Flag
south_africa
I normally read posts on the forum using a RSS reader on my phone. I was trying out an app on my android phhone called Tapatalk, and it seems to make using a forum on a mobile a much easier experience.

The app works with Expedition Portal. I tried accessing this forum with it but it seems the mods need to enable a tapatalk plugin on the phpBB software.

Is this something that can be easily done? It might even drive some traffic here.... I only had 1 result for land cruisers when searching with the app.

Just had a look and it's not native to the forum but there is a plugin for it. I need to upgrade the forum software soon, maybe next week. I'll see about sticking the plugin in at the same time.

What do you use on Android? I just use a normal browser which is not great.

Come on guys, keep talking Android, I'm still trying to get my head round it. I thought RSS was just for news snippets :roll:
Found some pretty cool android apps so far but they are more toys than anything useful.

The bar code reader is awesome. Saved me some pennies by proving that yes you can get it cheaper elsewhere. I love price promise :lol:

We already have RSS here, use rss.php for the reader and you'll get everything as per normal.

Crispin

Next time I see you, you can explain in words of one syllable or even set my phone up for me :lol:

Yes,,,,,,,,,,, :roll: I know I'm hopeless

I've just gone down the android route as well and bought Tapatalk hoping it would work, but was miffed that it didn't out of the box so am pleased that Crispin should be able to do something.

I see they also do an iPhone version so the girls like Julian M. should also be happy as well :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Tapatalk is now installed. If you search for Land Cruiser it is the only one ( :thumbup: ) in the list. Let me know if you have any hassle with it.
I will update the logo soon.

Next: Google maps add-in. Found a nice one :ugeek:

If you have an Andriod phone (aka "google phone") or {puke} and ifollow (aka iphone), there is an application you can install which allows you to view the forum from your phone.
Whilst you can view it anyway with a normal browser on your phone, this just displays it differently. Some prefer it.

I'm undecided...

It's pretty good on a bus but won't be my first choice forum browser

Cool, thanks for the update :)

Will try the app out then. Can only be better than the current browser I'm using..

Works great Crispin, thanks a lot!
It's a lot quicker than navigating the pages on the iPhone I find..

Cheers
Matt

I am warming to it. (The app, not the iphone. I would sooner drive a LR again ;) )

Seeing as the LR died and your windoze phone kept re-booting, methinks thou dost complain too much :D

Be happy with your iPhone and it will never let you down

Or make a call

Or browse the web

or spell words properly

Or wake you up at the right time

Or ....
:D

I've just updated the software for this - has a few minor tweaks in it. For those of you that use it, let me know if you have any problems.

If you don't, it really is a nice way to read the forum on your phone. I believe they have an app for iClone as well.

Crispin said:
If you don't, it really is a nice way to read the forum on your phone. I believe they have an app for iClone as well.

There is, but it costs money! :o Only £1.39 but I have a rule about buying apps (and what is wrong with the full word application :roll: ) and that rule is 'should be free where aver possible!' :violin:

And there is nothing wrong with iphone that can't be sorted by not using o2 :evil:

Dave Burgess said:
and that rule is 'should be free where aver possible!' :violin:

There was a free version of it which had some limitations. If you have a rule about buying them, that's fine, stick with the free options. They are free when possible but people write these apps for a living. They need to be paid for. I'm curious, where would you draw the line between free and not free? What's the criteria? :ugeek:

As I find most of them are frivolous, there aren't many criteria! :lol:

I don't use my phone as an entertainment system apart from the Ipod bit so all the games are out, I don't generally use the GPS as I have one (though the free two that I have are useful).

I certainly haven't seen anything that makes me think 'Oh yes, that is essential'. If the phone didn't come with the things I thought I find essential, I'd have bought a different phone. I just don't see what they bring to the party - think the beer glass, coin flip, spirit level and anything that is just a blatant advert. :roll:

I appreciate that people who write 'Apps' need to make a living... most of them will grow up and a write worthwhile programs in the future - much as my sister does for a (much bigger than my) living :violin:

Could we have touchBB as well ?

Single file install in the root dir, no editing the footer like you have to for tapatalk.

http://www.messageforums.net/iphoneforumreader.php

The "2 forum" version is free, or the full version is £0.59 (think it's iphone only)

I put both on JeepJunkies.co.uk together and have had no problems.

EE

Back