Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Technical advice/help needed for landcruiser 80 series

samonyx

I have got a landcruiser 80 series, Petrol engine 1F-ZE. This is full time four wheel drive car. Now: i want to remove the front propeller shaft of my car. Can any one advice the side effects for it?

welcome

for what purpose?

you would need to lock centre diff to drive car.

are you thinking of making it a part time 4wd?

I just thought it would give more power and a better mileage. My car doesnt have a centre diff lock. yep i want to make it a part time 4wd.

it will have a centre difflock - put it in low ratio and it will lock.

you can get a switch to do it manually as well.

i've read of many part time 4wd conversions on the LCOOL forum - might be worth checking there.

I just thought it would give more power and a better mileage. My car doesnt have a centre diff lock. yep i want to make it a part time 4wd.
Power remains the same - there would be a tiny saving in resistance of the drivetrain to the front, which might save you a bit of fuel. But if mileage is an issue, I'm afraid the FZ-FE probably isn't for you as it's the thirstiest thing since George Best. You could fit LPG or get an IQ. I am not sure your mods are going save much fuel.

i drove back from Alps to Aberdeen this summer with front prop removed on a 95-series Colorado (i removed due to a worn CV joint clicking during trip - it was fine before we left)
comparing fuel economy with and without the front prop - Absolutely no difference.
and no noticeable difference in power

if you did remove it, you would only feel a right wally in winter when you get stuck in snow

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Could be dangerous to drive with rear axle only. The whole suspension and steering setup is for permanent 4wd and centre dif.

Frank

With you there frank - there is a mod they do in Aus to change the way centre diff works. and i think you put in free wheeling hubs at the front as well.

i'd leave well alone.

I drive an 80 every day, my advice is to leave the transmission as it is. I do not believe you would gain anything by making your vehicle RWD only unless you plan on removing the weight of the front drive train (diff, cv's, transfer box) the difference is whether or not they are part of drive train or dead weight, in my experience the drive goes to the wheel with the least resistance anyway.

The Aus mod if I remember right involves locking the centre diff and fitting free wheel hubs to the front axle, the front diff is still driven.
I have heard of another mod whereby drive to the front is mechanically interrupted in the transfer box and free wheeling hubs are fitted to the front hubs but if I remember right that's quite an expensive modification.

just for interests sake, I found this, read through it makes interesting reading. http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_2wdconversion.htm

FZJ in USA

I've removed the front prop shaft on my 96 (now gone) FZJ (petrol) 80. I added in free wheeling hubs on the front.
Driving takes a little bit of getting used to (as now rear wheel drive) with CDL.
For me only worth running when no 4x4/camping events planned for some time or on long journeys (and when petrol prices are high)
I gained about 2 mph on long journeys

Have a 97 now and not done the mod (petrol prices here approx $4/gallon and may consider doing LPG conversion as $1.5/gal- had it on my 96) - here in Seattle, USA. Prices not high enough unless going on long journey and no off-roading.

To gain mpg - get rid of any excess weight (tools , extra 3rd row), heavy sliders, front/rear (if heavy) bullbars/tire carriers and any roof-racks. Also up the psi in your tires. That gains me 1-2 mph on long journeys (but hard to give up the 4x4 'bling')

Lal

Frankly I wouldn't bother.
For what I can guess the fuel savings are, well, just leave it alone.
If the fuel savings are your concern, then perhaps an 80 series isn't for you any more.
Why not just buy a van or a big estate car?

Gra.

Back