Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Techstream

nathanrobo

Does anyone have a link for Techstream that doesn't require a product key or authentication?

I've got the Mini - JCI lead, but bought it so long ago, that I can't find the disk that came with it (I don't have any computer with a cd / dvd drive anyway).

I only need to set up the AHC on my 100 so don't really want to spend more cash on software :))

Tried the DX website and there's no link. Looking through my emails from when I purchased the kit (in 2014), it seems that my account activation never worked and trying to contact them just leads to a frustrating and endless loop :-( Any other ideas on how to download a functioning version of Techstream with a product key?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Installed the software, with the update and the registry fix so that you don't need a product key. Techstream loads up well but I get a "cannot connect with VIM" message.

Some research suggests the problem as being the file system - I'm using XP pro and it's NTFS rather than FAT32. It's seems that only the home version will run FAT. There must be a work around?? Probably something editing the registry in some way?

The DX link works, just that it's manual (safer that way). But it seems to be a version 6 only.

There is a version 10 something somewhere, which works well on the newer versions of windows, in 64 bit. Wasn't it on mud I found it? I installed it on a 64 bit Win7 machine - no probs at all. Everything worked right away.

The DX link works, just that it's manual (safer that way). But it seems to be a version 6 only.

There is a version 10 something somewhere, which works well on the newer versions of windows, in 64 bit. Wasn't it on mud I found it? I installed it on a 64 bit Win7 machine - no probs at all. Everything worked right away.

Apologies for the dumb question (gave up on windows in 2007 and went to Mac, other than a few DOS commands I've forgotten most of what a knew), but is NTFS 64 bit or equivalent? I thought NTFS is something completely different from FAT 32 or 64?? I do remember that NT can be a PITA.

NTFS is different to FAT. Not sure what you mean by is it 64 bit or equivalent? It's been around a long time though, since way before 64 bit PC's.

NTFS is different to FAT. Not sure what you mean by is it 64 bit or equivalent? It's been around a long time though, since way before 64 bit PC's.

Hi Jon

As I understand it, FAT 32 = 32 bit Fat64 = 64 bit, so I wondered if NTFS was also defined as a 32 bit or 64 bit files system or something completely different.

Filesystem bits and OS (operating system) bits are not connected. When it comes to running techstream, it's the OS bits that count. Older versions run only on 32 bit OS. If you look into System Tools > System Information in your windows, it will tell you which version you have.

Newer versions of Windows are generally 64 bit, and would be difficult to adjust to run a 32 bit techstream version. Afaik, Win7 was the last to be delivered as 32 bit, and only if specified. The only advantage of a 32 bit OS is that if you run only 32 bit software, it will run slightly faster on a 32 bit OS. A lot of SW still is 32 bit btw, but the big, power hungry ones are 64 bit in their latest releases, so a 64 bit OS is normally the way to go.

the system reports only NTFS - not sure where that leaves me.

TS loads up okay and the green light on the mini vci comes on but then I get a system message saying "cannot connect with VIM". Reading between the lines of different stuff I've read, I'm assuming that it relates to the file system / os??

the system reports only NTFS - not sure where that leaves me.

TS loads up okay and the green light on the mini vci comes on but then I get a system message saying "cannot connect with VIM". Reading between the lines of different stuff I've read, I'm assuming that it relates to the file system / os??

i believe there is a driver that needs to be loaded that would bridge the software through to the cable adapter. Suspect you are missing that

i believe there is a driver that needs to be loaded that would bridge the software through to the cable adapter. Suspect you are missing that

Thanks Buddy... I'll try to find a driver. Once I figure it out, I'll post the process. I was going to just get another cable adapter and software, but it all comes on a CD and CD drives are a bit rare these days :-(

Have you selected your cable in the Techstream Setup menu e.g. X-Horse VIM?

I think you've hit the nail on the head... I don't have the disk that the cable came with and when I load TS it only has VIM in the drop down.

Anyone have the MVCI software? I can't find it online and I think it has to be for TIS V 8.xx

Nathan, I have just received my techstream and software. I have the cd so can get you a copy. Message me on here with your email

Jon has linked to the same version that I had, so go with that. Just for reference, I have installed this on a Win7 Pro 64 bit laptop and works fine. I did need to follow the instruction in the link previously posted

Back