Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

temp gauge appears dead, sender unit? part no?

Duvs

I've recently become proud owner of an LJ78 with a 2LTE engine, known to many on here as Jim's 'Rex'.
I've been gently getting used to it, and planned to go take the truck out for its first proper outing (in my hands) this weekend following a work visit to mid wales, so have to set off at 7 am tomorrow morning.

However when I took the truck out for a spin on tuesday the temp gauge didnt move. It hasn't overheated, and doesent. The coolant level is fine... I figured it was the sender that might be faulty because if i ground the single wire that connects to the spade (non-shrouded) terminal on the sender with a tester bulb, the needle on the gauge gradually rises and the bulb begins to dimly flash. This suggests to me that the circuit and gauge are ok, and the problem is in the sender?

I bought a new sender (code 52570) and its virtually identical, just a little longer. I tried fitting it anyway, it fits and seals fine. But gauge stil doesn't work! (so it may not be right). So far my local toyota, partco and other motorfactor are a bit stumped by my reg. and model no's (import etc). Looks like i'll have my work cut out for me... can anyone recommend a service garage in my area with experience?

I dont want to take it on a long run,or use it in anger without having a view of what the temperature is doing. Can anyone offer any suggestions? I need help if i'm gona be able to sort it before 7am tomorrow morn!

many thanks!

Hi Duvs, further to my email earlier check this part no. with Toyota. I know it suggests it's a gauge assembly but there was also a result for "water temperature receiver" so hopefully it's the right one: 83420‑20020 "GAGE ASSY, WATER TEMPERATURE SENDER"

I found the part number at the link: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/q.html

Hope you manage to get out this weekend!

Jim.

thanks Jim, and for your email too, you're a star. I think I'm gonna go for it as you suggested! there doesn't seem to a stat problem, just the gauge, so i'm loaded with plenty of water and gonna just get on with it ;)

if I take it easy and keep an eye on the oil pressure needle anything beginning to go wrong should make itself apparent. i'll give toyota a ring enroute..

So I needent have worried, and also feel significantly more at ease having now tested Rex's abilities in a rather less restrained way. I'm quite awestuck at the trucks capabilities - from general comfort and handling, to top end overtaking ability, to remarkable ground clearance and off road prowess. Big grins! :icon-biggrin:
IMG_1036_zps64a8a9fa.jpg
The new temp sender did kick into life, just took a while to get there the first time. I'm going to asume the original one had given up the ghost, and the new one was either sat in a little airlock for a while, or needed to be 'broken in' or something. Anyway, problem is fixed.

in case you're interested, here is the two senders side by side.
IMG-20130926-00754_zpsdc56a57e.jpg
The new (longer) one was a lucas part 52570, and the rubber o-ring seems redundant (it spins loosely as if the plug has bottomed out. I'm guessing it's made a seal on the smooth shoulder. It's working and not leaking, so i'm not going to worry

Last edited:
Overtaking ability? That new temp sender got a supercharger attached to it?!

Glad to hear all went well. I hear you took on Dovey Junction... which direction did you attack it from? We need more pics!

Jim.

We went up..
I was working until about 5 o’clock just up the road, and I'd planned to investigate this route at the end of the day as it was conveniently placed and looked like it might be short enough for a jaunt before heading down into town for a meal (if not we had provisions on board). My idea was to start with this, then head up north via some of the other routes in the area the following day. I didn’t know until I saw it that it was the Dyfi step.

So I didn’t know this track would be quite ‘technical’. Not that I minded, just it was a bit of an inadvertent (fortunate?) choice…

I started out gently, checking what clearance I had under my diffs in the light ruts…
IMG_1011.JPG

Then with mud-clogged tyres slipped down a little yump into some puddles…

Then I came around over the corrugated rock, and recognised the step from some videos I’d seen while considering buying the truck, of Jim getting up in one go and making it look like a walk in the park. So I went for it…

And failed
IMG_1022.JPG
Once or twice…
IMG_1029.JPG
Note how back wheel is on top of a rock !

Anyway, we figured it out in the end and were pretty chuffed after the struggle. Me and me bro teasing each other about who was to blame for destroying the offside rear bumper.. what's the best way to share a video on here?

Scouting ahead, I could see things wouldn’t get any easier with the deep angled ruts etc. But this is where I was quite amazed really, the car handled it really with ease.

A little way further up there’s a bit I recognised from a vid I’d been shown by a local mate of a yellowish series landrover coming down.
IMG_1038.JPG
Well I couldn’t quite conceive how we’d get up that bit. This photo doesnt do the challenge justice. And by now it was about to get dark too.
But we up with virtually no fuss at all. This is where we got that pic of Rex sat cross axled i posted before…

For the rest of the trail I didn’t really take any pictures, as much as anything else, because it was dark!

First thing the following morning we were up here, which despite the slightly limited visibility was still stunning:
IMG_1051.JPG

Here’s what got roughed up. Nothing that wasn’t already needing some attention or cant be fixed!
IMG_1057.JPG
IMG_1060.JPG

Might try rig up some junglestraps before doing another tight forest section. And hopefully remember to turn the snorkel head around...

really enjoyed our trip out. And I dont think I need to work had to convince my bro to join me next time again either. Hope you like the pics
Untitled.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I always thought the rutted climb was trickier, and when it's particularly wet I've had to winch up it before now so nice work getting up there so easily! All I can say about the damage you picked up is at least you didn't buy a straight one to start with! Noticed the OS sidestep's warped a little too, maybe it's time for some tree sliders! I always planned to fit some myself but said I wouldn't until I bent the sidesteps..

Oh yeah, if you click "reply to thread" you have the ability to embed youtube videos, just paste in the video code from the URL (ie: watch?v=NdDNOjEPrSQ), highlight it and click the youtube button to wrap the tags around it. Should show like this:

Back