Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Temperature gauge has stopped working

Roam Australia

Country Flag
australia
G’day all,
My temperature gauge on the dash stopped working.On inspection I have found the wire has come away but I can’t find the location it was connected to. It looks like the green wire had already been spliced in to the sensor on the block but I don’t know where it’s supposed to be connected in the firewall. Any info would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 76389099-56C9-485A-A146-EDFD55189F7C.jpeg
    76389099-56C9-485A-A146-EDFD55189F7C.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 56
I would wire in a separate gauge rather than fix the standard one. It’s is known to be essentially useless in that once it shows the temperature rising, it is probably too late!

Thanks, I was thinking that myself. They are pretty cheap and easy to install. Plus you know exactly how hot the motor is running.

I would wire in a separate gauge rather than fix the standard one. It’s is known to be essentially useless in that once it shows the temperature rising, it is probably too late!
With a soldering iron and two electronic components, the stock gauge can be made to react to temperature changes quicker....and get this.....accuracy is improved! Woooo I hear you say!

Regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I cannot take credit for finding this out, it must be credited to a savvy 'MUD' member (Raventai), there are a lot of posts to read but the important stuff is close to the beginning. It took me very little time to do the modification, certainly quicker than getting the gauge cluster out.

93-97 Coolant Temperature Gauge Modification - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Reasons are unclear why Toyota had the gauge scurrying up to more or less centre within a mile or two driving, there is no way the engine could be at normal working temperature. My theory is it might be related to the thermostat being in the bottom hose, the top of the engine running hotter than the lower half? So a gauge reading high for awhile before the thermostat opened may have seen drivers reporting high operating temperatures being indicated?

I also had this plate made up from dead faced material, it sits between the speedometer and rev counter, this is the position used by the gear selection for automatics but of course not on manual models.

The icons are obvious but the one used to indicate high engine temperature has never lit up, it also addresses the lack of an oil pressure light! Modifying a vehicle in any way should only be done if the mod not only works but stays working, I did the modification around 10 years ago, still working.

Regards

Dave

1671432477610.png

Last edited:
Back