Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Testing the 4WD

Japan, Africa and Australia had a PT 2WD option on early 80 series. Don’t know about Toyota but I remember Mitsubishi citing the move to FT4WD on the Shogun as a driver aid as it removed any indecision on the driver’s part about when to engage 4WD.

I had the mk2 shogun with PT 4WD. What a hideous beast that was! It used to tie itself in knots round a fast corner with no feeling through the steering. I had it on 2 wheels twice. They tested one on "driven", on the telly. I remember Mike Brewer was in the back and the same thing happened. Right over on 2 wheels with the front wheels in a knot. I can't find a video of it and have searched several times. I think it was channel 5. It's the only vehicle that's bitten me and nearly got away with it. I think the mod to FT 4wd was to save lives rather than help the driver!

Never heard of that theory Frank. Could well be but I don't see the theory behind that theory. For sure the rear tyres, and for that matter, all components in the rear drive train will wear quicker with free wheel hubs due to the doubled torque to the rear but why would the front tyres wear quicker ?

Don't know Pete. Just a discussion about 4wd when the first Range Rover came out with unusual permanent 4wd. You make a good point.

Hi All,

Again with the slow answer, my personal LC has rear/2-wheel drive as permanent and onle engages the front when the CDL is activated, either by pushing the button or engaging low range. Not many happy options otherwise. Hence the need for free-wheel hubs to stop the front prop and side-shafts spinning unnecessarily
SWAMBO's cruiser as AWD so no messing about. Pressing the CDL in high locks the transfer case and engaging low automatically locks the transfer case. No 7-pin mods done.
I prefer the AWD/permanant 4WD option as it doesn't lock up the transfer case and manouvering is easier as long as CDL is not engaged.
The other two LC's we have in the project have AWD/perm 4wd.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hope all safe in these trying times.

So now that mud season is in full swing, I had occassion..read many.. to test out the cdl fix. All good. Another issue has arisen, the transfer box jumps out of Low when under stress, like going downhill with your foot off the throttle.
Anything on the outside to check before gutting her?

An obvious one really but I’d check there is full travel on the transfer lever as they can partially sieze and become very stiff and potentially prevent full engagement. Quite easy to get to and check/fix as a first option.

An obvious one really but I’d check there is full travel on the transfer lever as they can partially sieze and become very stiff and potentially prevent full engagement. Quite easy to get to and check/fix as a first option.
It was very stiff when I first got it and until I sorted the CDL issue.

Back