Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The daddy of engine + electrical monitoring systems

Lorin

Two things I've been looking at fitting are an EGT gauge, of which there are plenty to choose from, and a coolant alarm, that appear almost impossible to find.

Then I found this, which may well be the most comprehensive engine monitoring bit of kit it is possible to get:

http://landyonline.co.za/shop/product_i ... ucts_id/61

More info: http://www.madman.co.za/downloads/EMS1.pdf

I am going to investigate whether they are available in the UK. If anyone else is interested, give me a shout as it may be worth attempting a discount for a group buy.

Nice find. Would be interested in this depending on overall cost with the wireling loom etc.

Lorin said:
Two things I've been looking at fitting are an EGT gauge, of which there are plenty to choose from, and a coolant alarm, that appear almost impossible to find.

Then I found this, which may well be the most comprehensive engine monitoring bit of kit it is possible to get:

http://landyonline.co.za/shop/product_i ... ucts_id/61

More info: http://www.madman.co.za/downloads/EMS1.pdf

I am going to investigate whether they are available in the UK. If anyone else is interested, give me a shout as it may be worth attempting a discount for a group buy.

I have had this for a while on to do the list of modifications.

What are your reasons for wanting to know this much info about the engine?

Well for me it's not so much about knowing the info, but having the audiable alarms. On a couple of ocations in LB te water temp has risen to just below the red, and a alarm would have helped...

Anyway, do we need a excuse for more toys? :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Paul said:
What are your reasons for wanting to know this much info about the engine?

Safety really. Given that I plan to do a big trip across difficult terrain with the LC pretty loaded and will be running adjusted boost/fuelling in combination with an intercooler to help offset the additional weight, it's really just for peace of mind - especially in terms of EGT temps. Also, the standard gauges (i.e., water temp) are pretty poor and were you, for example, to unknowingly lose all coolant (e.g., pipe burst or radiator holed) it is possible you could remain unaware until damage is already done. Whilst I do try and check the gauges regularly, it is easy to forget. The ability to set audible alarms means that you stand a much better chance of catching any problems before they become serious. At least that's my justification...

I'll be interested in seeing costs for the system Lorin... Keeping an eye on this one :cool:

Unfortunately I can't find any UK based suppliers. I've emailed for a price for single and multiple purchase and will update as soon as they get back to me.

Don't suppose anyone's going to, or near Gauteng, South Africa anytime soon? That way we could avoid postage etc.......

How about this, fixes on the top of the rad, just means you have to cut a hole in the bonnet :think:

Temperature-Gauge-273871.jpg

Cousin is coming from Durban on the 17th of Dec and i can ask if he does not mind bring over a couple of units if we can get them to him.

I am interested.

sae70 said:
What about something from SPA

Unfortunately SPA don't offer a coolant alarm and it would require multiple gauges to do the same that the one EMS1 does. Cost would therefore likely be considerably more.

warrenpfo said:
Cousin is coming from Durban on the 17th of Dec and i can ask if he does not mind bring over a couple of units if we can get them to him.

This may well be a goer if your cousin didn't mind. Once I get a firm price I will confirm how many firm orders we can get and take it from there. I reckon savings on postage etc would be pretty significant.

warrenpfo said:
I am interested.
I am interested too.
Chas

Lorin said:
...will be running adjusted boost/fuelling in combination with an intercooler to help offset the additional weight...

Playing devil's advocate here:

Seeing as the chaps who designed the LC and gave it it's reliable name are far cleverer than any of us here, there's something to be said for leaving well alone?

I like toys as much as the next guy but buying toys to monitor what your other toys are doing to something that would have got you there in the first place...

Lorin said:
sae70 said:
What about something from SPA

Unfortunately SPA don't offer a coolant alarm
Yes they do :) http://www.spa-uk.co.uk/design/digitalgauges/

SPA said:
The digital range of dual gauges work with temperatures from -55 to 150 degree C and when used with thermocouple options will monitor temperatures as high as 1100 degree C for EGT applications and inter-cooler applications.It is these capabilities that enable the gauges to accurately and reliably monitor critical information that has earned SPA an enviable reputation worldwide. The digital gauges also have the capability of monitoring temperature and pressure such as fuel, oil, boost, brake pressure and even salt water. In addition to those features the digital gauge has a peak recall of maximum pressure and user definable alarm parameters visible through a high brightness intensity LED that adds to the gauge’s appeal

My daughter is on her way to Jozie on Thursday - if delivery to her is arranged I'm sure we could sort something. Has anyone checked on LCCSA if anyone there uses them or has any comments on them??

I'm in the middle of making one of those but if there's a commercial offering at a sensible price it would save me the bother :)

Jon Wildsmith said:
I'm in the middle of making one of those but if there's a commercial offering at a sensible price it would save me the bother :)

OT but what were you going to use for this?

Back