Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The death of the diesel is nigh.......

my old lorry wasn't euro 4 or whatever compliant so the boss sent it off and it came back with what looked like its exhaust wrapped in tin foil. was expensive but far cheaper than a replacement lorry. Had bugger all emissions after that and I never had to go near the Cow P pump, woo!

It may mean other cities and urban areas follow suit for sure but I can't see it being the end for diesel outside of these areas. It will just mean more park and rides in the main cities! Could well effect the price of diesels though...

I don't commute into a large city either but I think you're missing the point here. The 'other' measures will almost certainly include a big price hike in the price of diesel along with increased road tax for oil burners. Once a precedence has set the ball rolling there'll be no stopping it. Strange when you think a few short years ago everyone was encouraged to buy diesels but it's now become the devil's fuel. JMO

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well it'll make the petrol 80 a bit more attractive!

This news, and the fact that we might be paying an extra diesel-tax for diesel cars broke a couple of months back. It bugged me. It bugged me that the tax would be applied to existing cars too.

The thing is though - I cannot disagree with it.

I drive in London every day. 20 of my 25-mile-each-way journey in in London traffic. I have to drive with the air on recycle. I've seen BMs, mercs etc all puffing smoke out on acceleration in start-stop traffic. Vans a couple years old with puffs of smoke when changing gear.
For the most part it's a smallish amount, not like there is a major fault but it's rather that the engine's not quite what it was when it left the shop.

National Express and Greenline :)lol:) busses are bad. Often see them with plumes of smoke. Quite frankly I think they should all be removed.

I do think diesel has had it's day.

Strange when you think a few short years ago everyone was encouraged to buy diesels
That was my point. If they have their way then you'll get taxed for listening to their advice....

From the commercial PoV though - what choice is there if you want a van?

I see your points.... A good petrol 80 may well be a sound investment then

Could also lead to an increase in home brewing of bio diesel maybe but I wouldn't be surprised if they've got that covered too with an 'old chip fat' tax waiting in the wings!:lol:

While not directly about Diesel :
would be interesting to almost everyone on this forum - unfortunately, inspite of the fact that this has had good airtime and many people in the know seem to think its got legs, there are almost zero details available anywhere at this point. For those not wanting to click - its about "‘Diamond-age’ of power generation as nuclear batteries developed" and its presented by the Univ of Bristol.

w.r.t the diesel debate - a lot of what happens these days is driven by lobby groups and (mis)information.... look at New Delhi, Beijing and mexico city etc - they all took the big diesel off the road, and clamped down on personal vehicles; pollution has only carried on going up.

I live 10 kms from Antwerp and from february on, I can't drive to the city anymore with the cruisers and I can drive with the vw caddy if I pay like 30€ every time.
Did a testdrive with the new hilux today. Very nice and very smooth.....but very electronic and computerized. But no escape I guess. I'll be needing at least euro5 in the near future.
So the hzj75 buschtaxi will be for sale somewhere in spring

I think I'd drive into London just because I could lol :lol::whistle:

I don't commute into a large city either but I think you're missing the point here. The 'other' measures will almost certainly include a big price hike in the price of diesel along with increased road tax for oil burners. Once a precedence has set the ball rolling there'll be no stopping it. Strange when you think a few short years ago everyone was encouraged to buy diesels but it's now become the devil's fuel. JMO

Also won't affect me, I walk to work.

I think fuel should be £5 a litre to get some people off the road.

Diesel fuel price might go down with less demand. Depends on the fuel tax.

Back