Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The death of the diesel is nigh.......

Diesel fuel price might go down with less demand. Depends on the fuel tax.

Not if the oil companies reduce production. I've heard it said in the past that diesel is a by product of petrol production but no idea if there's any truth in it.

It's all in the "cracking" they can alter the ratio of petrol to diesel per 100% of the starting material.

I have often asked myself is it more environmentally friendly to continue using my Landcruiser potentially as a car for life, it's carbon footprint from the manufacturing process is spread out over say 30+years.
Or to by a new green hybrid car with more natural resources utilized in its manufacturer, a shorter usfull lifespan and more environmentally hazardous to recycle.
I would imagine that a large percentage of Cruisers will comfortably achieve 200k miles over a 20 year life probably with just basic servicing, after which maybe exported or dismantled as a source of parts to keep others on the road, I doubt many are just crushed.
However I think the same can not be predicted for hybrids in the future.
Which is greener?

Probably the cruiser over the long term, the majority of new cars have a 7 year design life.

Clamp downs on diesels has been inevitable since they started to tax on emissions. Back when the labour government was bringing in C02 taxation many environmental and air quality professionals pointed out that diesels are low C02 but still pump out some pretty nasty stuff. I pretty much figured the politicians knew this and were waiting for everyone to get used to the C02 tax before things got pushed through on diesels.

It won't stop people driving them, but it will become more expensive with some cities possibly out of bounds. We'll just get on with things :)

It's interesting to see the change in the UK, and how on the other side of the planet here in the US, Diesels are now becoming more prevalent. A lot of what is occurring in the UK is very political in my opinion.

Whats the chance of them putting some sort of tax on hybrids and electric vehicles in the future, for some reason....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Kick big business out of cities and it will solve all sorts of problems . Why do they need to be there when all they do is push buttons for a living anyway ?

Reactions: uHu
I have often asked myself is it more environmentally friendly to continue using my Landcruiser potentially as a car for life, it's carbon footprint from the manufacturing process is spread out over say 30+years.
Or to by a new green hybrid car with more natural resources utilized in its manufacturer, a shorter usfull lifespan and more environmentally hazardous to recycle.
I would imagine that a large percentage of Cruisers will comfortably achieve 200k miles over a 20 year life probably with just basic servicing, after which maybe exported or dismantled as a source of parts to keep others on the road, I doubt many are just crushed.
However I think the same can not be predicted for hybrids in the future.
Which is greener?
To be frank i couldnt give a fxxk. The root of the problem is too many people. Thats the source of all the planets problems. Ban all cars in citys.Job done. Ferry people about on electric trams. Have permits for trademen and deliverys.

Reactions: uHu
If particulates are the problem, which seems to be the issue here, surely they can be filtered out of emissions. A filter on diesel exhausts and a means to dispose of the particulates safely can't be too much to ask, compared with a total ban.

My view is they tax the majority. Diesel started becoming popular because it had less tax on it. Once diesel vehicles got on a 50/50 par with petrol, they equalized the tax. Then diesel outstripped petrol vehicles, the tax was loaded onto diesel, more than petrol.

It's about revenue, the environment issues just give them an excuse.

I should add IMO, and not based on any published data.

Last edited:
If particulates are the problem, which seems to be the issue here, surely they can be filtered out of emissions. A filter on diesel exhausts and a means to dispose of the particulates safely can't be too much to ask, compared with a total ban.

My view is they tax the majority. Diesel started becoming popular because it had less tax on it. Once diesel vehicles got on a 50/50 par with petrol, they equalized the tax. Then diesel outstripped petrol vehicles, the tax was loaded onto diesel, more than petrol.

It's about revenue, the environment issues just give them an excuse.

I should add IMO, and not based on any published data.
Born free, taxed to death!!!!!

Back