Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The dreaded ticking noise.

Lexie

Country Flag
great_britain
Recently noticed this ticking noise coming from low down and most noticeable from driver side wheel well , iv been in below while engine running and il sware its coming from sump pan or that area. Iv been researching alot and its a fairly comman thing on the 1hdft engine but a solution isnt found as handy.
Recent things done was an oil and filter change , geniune filter and am using a 15-40 oil. Any recomendations on that?

Can't say I have heard of this problem as being fairly common. Does it change with engine revs or is it constant Lexie?

12V and 100K or over then that would be a worry, but looking through past posts I think you have a 24V. I have seen this this on 24V engines where the grade of oil has been changed but there is a strange logic to it. If you go from a thicker oil to thinner then it can happen but I have seen it the other way around.

Having done a fair bit of reading trying to get the bottom of this, wear on the piston gudgeon pins seems to be the answer. There is a thread somewhere on IH8MUD. Extrapolating this theory, wear will happen at a certain rate with one grade of oil, changing that grade seems to show this tic tic sound up which might explain the apparent anomaly of going from thicker to thinner or the other way around.

My 24v had the same scenario. It's done 267k miles and I didn't know what oil type was used or the oil change intervals. I changed with the oil type stated in the 24v hand book 10w 30 semi synthetic. Then the oil crisis happened! Quiet ticks increasing with revs and unusual oil pressure readings if the dash gauge is to go by. Then it knocked 4 times.
The big end bearings were worn and no6 was deeply scored. I changed the no4 sized original bebs with std acl bearings and have now done a very nervous 750miles init. The oil is still clean so I feel that it'll be ok.

The trouble with the 24v compared to the 12v is that there's so many components in the head to run the extra 12 valves and if the settings are slightly out on the tappets then there will definitely be ticking from there. If there's no tick on startup and a tick when fully warm then the valve clearances are too tight. If a tick on startup then too loose. So really have to make sure that the valve clearances are bang on. It took me 3 attempts on the tappets and now it has no ticking at all. The 12v has very few components in comparison. Better in that respect.

The beb tick is a lot lighter sounding if you can see what I mean. A beb knock is a knock.

Has the dash oil pressure gauge shown any change in position since changing the oil? Mine was radically different.

The ticks are annoying! Hope you find where they're coming from.

My 24v had the same scenario. It's done 267k miles and I didn't know what oil type was used or the oil change intervals. I changed with the oil type stated in the 24v hand book 10w 30 semi synthetic. Then the oil crisis happened! Quiet ticks increasing with revs and unusual oil pressure readings if the dash gauge is to go by. Then it knocked 4 times.
The big end bearings were worn and no6 was deeply scored. I changed the no4 sized original bebs with std acl bearings and have now done a very nervous 750miles init. The oil is still clean so I feel that it'll be ok.

The trouble with the 24v compared to the 12v is that there's so many components in the head to run the extra 12 valves and if the settings are slightly out on the tappets then there will definitely be ticking from there. If there's no tick on startup and a tick when fully warm then the valve clearances are too tight. If a tick on startup then too loose. So really have to make sure that the valve clearances are bang on. It took me 3 attempts on the tappets and now it has no ticking at all. The 12v has very few components in comparison. Better in that respect.

The beb tick is a lot lighter sounding if you can see what I mean. A beb knock is a knock.

Has the dash oil pressure gauge shown any change in position since changing the oil? Mine was radically different.

The ticks are annoying! Hope you find where they're coming from.

This tick is very sepratick no pattern at all.. this mornin on cold start very very faint tick hard to hear.
As for oil pressure a little better but no drastic change there.

And sounds like its coming from exhaust.

Do i change oil grade?

Suppose tappets be the 1st place to check or beb?

This doesnt sound like tappets to me as you stated this is a lighter tick sound like the igniter on a gas hob almost.

Beb?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This doesnt sound like tappets to me as you stated this is a lighter tick sound like the igniter on a gas hob almost.

Beb?

Yes a much quieter and very similar to a gas hob igniter. Don't want to panic you but does sound like what mine did.

Cannot say for sure and don't want to mislead you either but the same sounding scenario especially after changing the oil.

The 24v 's have 3 crank sizes and 3 con rod types.. depending on what numbers you have is the shell set. Eg crank 2 con rod 3 use bearing shell 5. So its only when you go in there you know which set to buy.

My engine is a 1996 with 266k

Its not a nice feeling when you hear that noise!

Yes a much quieter and very similar to a gas hob igniter. Don't want to panic you but does sound like what mine did.

Cannot say for sure and don't want to mislead you either but the same sounding scenario especially after changing the oil.

The 24v 's have 3 crank sizes and 3 con rod types.. depending on what numbers you have is the shell set. Eg crank 2 con rod 3 use bearing shell 5. So its only when you go in there you know which set to buy.

My engine is a 1996 with 266k

Its not a nice feeling when you hear that noise!

Can you explain again. You add numbers on crank and con rod to get bearing shell?

Well with mine it had the no4 standard set which is the same as the standard acl's that karl has. They coincidently are the same size as the 12v.
1518779447946.jpg

I bought the conrod bolts from toyota.
There's 5 bearing sizes. So I believe I have crank 1 and conrod 3 which gives bearing set 4.
I have it written down somewhere ..

1518779948108.jpg

Here with the sizes and oil clearance.

I took the sump off and checked each bearing, journal and conrod. Write the info for each one down. Did that for all 6 with the caps, bearings and bolts lightly tightened. Sump back on. Then left it for a month or so because I was truly devistated about it! Had only done about 300 miles since building up the truck!

At least yours isnt knocking! But it seems to be showing signs! How many miles do you have?

Well with mine it had the no4 standard set which is the same as the standard acl's that karl has. They coincidently are the same size as the 12v.
View attachment 140564
I bought the conrod bolts from toyota.
There's 5 bearing sizes. So I believe I have crank 1 and conrod 3 which gives bearing set 4.
I have it written down somewhere ..

View attachment 140565
Here with the sizes and oil clearance.

I took the sump off and checked each bearing, journal and conrod. Write the info for each one down. Did that for all 6 with the caps, bearings and bolts lightly tightened. Sump back on. Then left it for a month or so because I was truly devistated about it! Had only done about 300 miles since building up the truck!

At least yours isnt knocking! But it seems to be showing signs! How many miles do you have?

That sounds sensible to retrive info 1st then disasemble and reassemble in one go. Are these plainly marked 1 2 or 3 etc?

198k miles. Onli serviced 3 days ago which really gets me this issue onli appears after an oil change which sounds stupid and bloody annoyin

Beb?

Exactly the same as mine. It was doing it when I bought it 12 years and 65k miles ago and it’s got no better or worse. Sometimes it doesn’t do it at all and when it does it’s always around 2k revs. I changed the bebs shortly after buying it after reading horror stories concerning the 12v models but it made no difference to the tick or the oil pressure. Neither did checking and adjusting the tappets but, as you say, it seems to be coming from lower down. I stopped worrying about it long ago

Exactly the same as mine. It was doing it when I bought it 12 years and 65k miles ago and it’s got no better or worse. Sometimes it doesn’t do it at all and when it does it’s always around 2k revs. I changed the bebs shortly after buying it after reading horror stories concerning the 12v models but it made no difference to the tick or the oil pressure. Neither did checking and adjusting the tappets but, as you say, it seems to be coming from lower down. I stopped worrying about it long ago
Towpack.. i wish i could but i wont settle until iv dont my upmost to solve it. Damm i hate ticks and any strange noises. Almost 200k on her now so beb do no harm

I know oil pump not in the area but could it be possible

- same here - happened following a routine oil change. We changed the BEBs as a precaution (at c190k on a 24v) but they were fine anyway. Tick has continued on and off ever since. As you, we've given up worrying about it as we know the BEBs are good. There was a very long thread about this on here a couple of years ago....

I found the best way to hear it is drive down a narrow street with a highish wall on the RHS and the sound bounces back at you.

I found the best way to hear it is drive down a narrow street with a highish wall on the RHS and the sound bounces back at you.
That method is also good to hear clicking CVs or sometimes UJs.

Il be avoiding that method until i get this tic tic sorted

Back