Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The winch issue

Owen_Heller

To the mods . sorry for it but I don't know where else to put this.
The bushwinch , I would love to hear your thoughts about this subject. I have the SA boys views , what's yours. .

Sent from my Vodafone 785 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what the "winch issue" may be Owen. You're a seasoned traveller in SA so you would likely know what's needed and what isn't.

Is the issue whether to have a winch; or is it which type?

I use my truck offroad quite frequently, often in steep and muddy (clay) conditions. In the spring and autumn, it at its wettest, so the winch comes in handy on probably 8/10 trips.

It's a good all year round insurance, but used less in the winter when everything is frozen (and generally dry) and almost never in the summer which is warm/hot and dry.

I have never been overland, but doing what I do, I wouldn't be without it. In fact, if I didn't have one, my truck would still be marooned somewhere on the mountain.

As for which type, mine was cheap and cheerful, not the best by far, technically as basic as they come (manual free spool with a cable remote) it's a Superwinch 9.0 seven years old and no mechanical faults whatsoever.

If you do comp winching, yes high speed, and electronic free spool and the like would all assist, but for me I'd have no benefit.

In the bush, what happens when you get stuck in a mud hole? A winch will get you out, but maybe waffles would too. It's all a maybe, whereas the winch is all but guaranteed.

I now now have a ground anchor having been stuck where there was no trees or bushes or anything else for that matter.

I've rambled a bit, sorry, but you did pose a question, I just don't know what it was, that's all :think:

Ok, now I know what you're talking about, delete my post :lol:

I have no experience, but it appears to work.

But then, so do many other improvised "winches". A strap wrapped around the tyre tied to a tree will probably pull you out in the right circumstances.

What at is the overall saving with the bushwinch? You still have to have a winch line (plasma or steel or other) you have to carry the bolt-on drum.

Ok, it's lighter to carry. But then again will only work if your transmission is working, so no help in the case of damaged transmission...

Personally, I'd rather have a winch fitted....

SOme thoughts......I'm no winch expert by the way.....

That line doesn't look all that strong - so your truck in the mud with plenty of sticktion is going to be a problem (say 5000kg effective weight).
Fitting one or two onto wheels in the mud or water is going to be even lower than a conventional winch......not to say potentially compromising the ease with which the hub spins onto the wheel nuts
I wonder what happens to the rope when the wheels finally get traction....is there a risk of it wrapping around the axle or drive shaft
Would you want to put the pulled vehicle weight onto the drive hubs and suspension links (all in the wrong plane - all on a single wheel) - not sure I would
Does the torque from the line direction turn the front wheels if they are the driving hubs?
What is the maximum radial angle that can be accommodated by this technique.....not all pulls are straight ahead
A traditional winch adds to the drive provided by the driving wheels - ie engine power plus winch potentially - you never get more than engine power on this (albeit down geared onto the hub drum)
Winching is not only about self recovery....would this system work well for 3rd party recovery, pulling trees out of the way etc

On the other hand I like the idea that you can winch backwards as easily as forwards.....my conventional winch will only do that with some real hard work

Oh - to add, the hub diameter is large in comparison to a conventional winch drum so I'm not sure what the maximum pull kg/lbs would be in comparison. Even if the line held up you might find that this system would only get you out of a 'light' situation

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think they are ace in principal but i wouldn't like the extra length on studs sticking out all the time on factory wheels and i'm not sure it would work with deep dish wheels like mine ?

There is a video on the net somewhere that I saw of a bogged 4wd having its rear end ripped out while using one of these bolt on drums .. cheers Mick

I reckon 150+ horses will break most things so the strength of your line/strap or lack thereof would be considered a failsafe when using these .

Last edited:
To all that threw your ideas into the pot , thanks for the input. I am saying this in only modest view. A change in design of the click on drum is a permanent welded to rim rope drum with a larger diameter and about 11 ton SWL plasma rope on 2 driving wheels simultaneously pulling from anchor to a central bridal point front or rear. I understand the warn winch idea , but me I don't like to many electro mechanical designs out there they tend to overload easily on pull or rust to easily , me I am looking for practical mechanical plan. Thanks, I am on a mission.

Sent from my Vodafone 785 using Tapatalk

Bolt a 12v winch to your winch bumper and don't connect it , a couple of crocodile clips will get you out of a jam when the devil demands . I got myself an old Ramsey winch on ebay that has probably spent 10 years on a breakdown recovery truck and i could probably get away with just washing it and emptying a rattlecan of lacquer on it .

Personally I would rather have a winch be it electric or hydraulic on the front, or rear, than that rope on a spool on a wheel.
It's basically a capstan winch with no slip allowance and I can see it causing more problems than it is worth, damage to the vehicle being one of them.
All the videos I have seen with them being used they are on near flat ground or soft sand, where I would like to think I would not have got stuck in the first place,
therefore I would chose a sand ladder rather than this bush winch, easier and more versatile to use.

I seem to recall that they were an experimental idea during ww2 to get trucks unstuck in the north african desert, if I remember correctly my grandfather
did not like them much and he taught me a lot about vehicles and off road.

Last edited:
Personally I would rather have a winch be it electric or hydraulic on the front, or rear, than that rope on a spool on a wheel.

I agree reed with the above, but, a winch on a winch bumper or a concealed fitting is not a fit and forget answer, unless the winch sits in a protected envirement and water sealed, regular inspection and lubrication is required, I regularly spray my winches with wd40 or whatever I have similar, in fact my 8274 warn would be scrapped by now if I hadnt . The electrical connections need inspection also, pull back the plastic covers and check for oxidisation. All my winches live outdoors, I check them regular, spool all out, then back, keeps the cobwebs out. The advantage of the bush winch is that it is stored away nice and dry till you need it, virtually no maintenance other than visual inspection. Also no major mod to the vehicle, but, it is vehicle particular, ( wheel nuts etc) also, may be relevant is how many times have you said, " at this moment I would be ok if I had a winch?" My winch on the cruiser has never been used in anger, ( looks good tho) however on my Froader, both front and back many times. The end user of the winch may determine his choice, if he wants a bit of security for a trip, it may be what he needs, regular trips ( what type?) may change that choice,thats my tuppence worth, best regards to all, Bill Westley

Back