Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Thermostat p/n bj73 with vm 5 cylinder

Username

Country Flag
spain
Hi all,

I know I'm being lazy by asking, but does anyone know a part number for the thermostat on a bj73 with a VM 5 cylinder engine (HR588 HTA or VM66A)?

My thermostat is stuck open and I'd like to buy a new one before taking the old one out. I know it's supposed to open at 82C but that's about it.

Thanks for any help.
Regards,
Mike

Hi Mike. I havent got it to hand but I'm fairly sure its the same part as the the 4 cylinder if that helps. cheers

Thank you outdoordan,
I looked up a thermostat for the 4 cylinder version and found this from the Spanish Land Cruiser 70 forum:

Wahler 4158.80 D

It opens at 80C although the VM engine booklet says 82C, I guess that's not a big difference to cause a problem.
Thanks,
Mike

*Update*
I'm adding some info here for anyone else with a VM 5 cylinder BJ73.

The thermostat is not the same as the one on the VM 4 cylinder, that would br too easy!
The VM5 (VM66A) has its thermostat built into a housing which is three-bolted onto an end piece from the engine coolant collector.

I have been unable to find a part number, nor any information on this thermostat.
There is a Land Rover with a similar VM engine that has a similar thermostat but it opens at a higher temperature to the specs on the Land Cruiser.
It's a Wahler thermostat but there are no other markings on it.
A mechanic I trust said it could be possible to cut out the original thermostat from the housing and use a thermostat which is inserted into the coolant hose.
If I find anymore info, I'll post it here.

Attachments

• Land Rover Wahler thermostat.jpg
    Land Rover Wahler thermostat.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 15
  • VM66A Wahler thermostat.JPG
    VM66A Wahler thermostat.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Guys I have an extra seal kit for the 4 cyl engine. I bought it first but it did not have the head gasket , and the original head gasket only comes with the whole original seal kit. If you need a gasket or something maybe I can help. I also have the four doors with windows, without the inners.

Attachments

• IMG_5112.JPG
    IMG_5112.JPG
    450.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4969.jpeg
    IMG_4969.jpeg
    331.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4968.jpeg
    IMG_4968.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4967.jpeg
    IMG_4967.jpeg