Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Thinking of Selling up.

silvercruiser

Hi All

Im thinking of Selling the Landcruiser.

Its a lovely Car i just feel like a change. Im not sure i should mention it on here, but ive been looking at the audi Q7's 4.2tdi's

It might be something i regret afterwards due to the complex working of the thing. but i fancy something with a bit more get up and go. the only other landcruiser that has the sort of power to match is the v8 diesel version and its way out of my price range.

Nothing wrong with a Q7 or any of the more modern offerings other than the added complexity you mention. More refined, powerful and a better dive all round but that's progress. Just be prepared to have most maintenance done at the dealer. I really fancied a Toureg V10 diesel a few years back until I read about some issues they had and the cost of maintenance.

Just a word of warning from inside Audi...

Don't touch a Q7

AudI don't even want them back on trade ins. the source wouldn't say much more then that.

I have been looking at the touareg recently and may go that way for a family car.

Would love a 120 but spec and price nearly every other 4x4 makes more sence

The trouble with modern diesels is the dpf if you do buy one get the middle removed from the dpf and reprogram the ecu so it thinks it's still there, have the egr blancked off at the same time.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I fear your chasing your tail mate , you loved your old collie even if the numbers were appalling by today's standards because it had character , 10 minutes driving a 120 was enough to convince me i will never own one because it has no character at all , and my guess is finding something with character in a digital age is going to be hard .

I have never driven a 100 series LC but to my mind it is the obvious big brother to the 90 so maybe its worth a test drive to see if it retains any of the traits - character - charisma that we absorb just that bit deeper .

I went from the 80 to 90 mainly to having a newer model then onto a 120 and really appreciated the difference now I'm onto the 100 and rate it as the best yet, well for my budget....

Driven a toureg and one of the big new merc 4x4s, what struck me was the crap all round vision, the rear screen was like a piller box opening.. the 80 and 100 is what a 8 year old would draw if you asked him to draw a truck. Big square windows. I also find the big square truck design easier to get in and out of, and easier to put the baby and baby seat in, seems just the right height.

Ok i liked the turn of speed, smoother and quiter. Anything else? Not really the dash looks the same as the next german car, a lot of flat black plastic and bits of chrome.

Id struggle to find them in the car park too, as they look the same as the next suv.

had the 80 12 years now and just dont get bored of it as theres allways something else to add or upgrade at some point.
Instead of spending money on a newer car ill just get a loan and spend it on the 80 instead, intercooler, upgraded turbo, respray, seat refurb etc. Itll feel like a new car!

mike,

one of those annoying 80 owners who thinks hes driving car shangri-la..

Certainly can be appealing sometimes to get a modern vehicle with all the up to date features my landcruiser could only dream of.

Somehow I realised these vehicles are gonna go wrong with the amount of computers on them etc & the complexity of the modern common rail engines to be more efficient and powerful at the same time. My cousin who has a garage here being a owner of a LC200 series always cursing at how bad the German branded cars & engines are at going wrong.

Only time I would consider buying new is if I would change it always after warranty & that's costly.

Just a reminder I'm in a better place

I went from the 80 to 90 mainly to having a newer model then onto a 120 and really appreciated the difference now I'm onto the 100 and rate it as the best yet, well for my budget....

I fully agree, I'd sell my 100 last but am getting along fine with the petrol Collie, its way more modern than an 80 in its general appeal. Its all about what you are able to put up with for the money you don't spend,

Landcruisers in general are getting a rare sight on UK roads. Last Sat went trucking down the M1 and back and only saw 2 Collies the whole trip. Sometimes see a couple of 120's in a day and a 200 once a week. 80's are a rarity and I bet I've only seen 1 60 series in the last 2 years.

I fully agree, I'd sell my 100 last but am getting along fine with the petrol Collie, its way more modern than an 80 in its general appeal. Its all about what you are able to put up with for the money you don't spend,

Landcruisers in general are getting a rare sight on UK roads. Last Sat went trucking down the M1 and back and only saw 2 Collies the whole trip. Sometimes see a couple of 120's in a day and a 200 once a week. 80's are a rarity and I bet I've only seen 1 60 series in the last 2 years.
One mans putting up with, is another mans joy.

The 100 is the one that tempts me the most away from an 80, if i could find one that doesnt have a underside made from pear alloy, didnt make me feel sea sick and i was a lot older..

You must try the 100 5 speed diesel for speed, quietness and power. Really is an effortless cruising machine and I'm FUSSY. They are reliable too and not too complicated. If I floor the throttle at anything less than 20 mph the front wheels spin and you can feel the front grappling for traction. Mine will do 28 mpg on a run. I met someone the other day at the petrol station who runs a landscaping business. He was towing a huge trailer and has 3 100 diesels. He pretty well has no problems and sells them at 200k miles just in case.

As for a more modern diesel I would not go near one.

Don't know anything about the Audi's, but was having a look at the Toerag, found they were very fussy cars and needed lots of maintenance just to keep them on the road, wouldn't surprise me if the Audi's are the same, and as TP said, have to be done at the main dealers workshop as well

Me, I intend keeping "The Collie" till one of us croaks, waxoil next on the list, change the seats, remap etc

Nothing wrong with a Q7 or any of the more modern offerings other than the added complexity you mention. More refined, powerful and a better dive all round but that's progress. Just be prepared to have most maintenance done at the dealer. I really fancied a Toureg V10 diesel a few years back until I read about some issues they had and the cost of maintenance.

You must try the 100 5 speed diesel for speed, quietness and power. Really is an effortless cruising machine and I'm FUSSY. They are reliable too.

I agree Frank, and lets face it, on a journey most of the time one is cruising and then it becomes a relaxing experience. I never thought once since I first drove the 100 on any kind of journey that I wished I was in an 80! (and I know what a "nearly new" one is like to own and drive)

They must be well liked down here, I see 2 95s on the way to work every day and have seen 2 others regularly
a couple of 80s floating about and a couple of 100s, and 120s

You must try the 100 5 speed diesel for speed, quietness and power. Really is an effortless cruising machine and I'm FUSSY. They are reliable too and not too complicated. If I floor the throttle at anything less than 20 mph the front wheels spin and you can feel the front grappling for traction. Mine will do 28 mpg on a run. I met someone the other day at the petrol station who runs a landscaping business. He was towing a huge trailer and has 3 100 diesels. He pretty well has no problems and sells them at 200k miles just in case.

As for a more modern diesel I would not go near one.
Didnt you put the 100 up for sale recently frank?

Back