chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
Is it just me? I think they look great.

anyone know the story behind them?
image:10478.jpg

Most people in countries these are fitted want to change to uk spec ones.

They are basicly 2 independent headlight with I think h4 is them

So there more of a down grade than a upgrade?
they do look good though..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So whats the disadvantage of them over ours?

Billy?;)

Personally, they look too much like the old model of the Nissan Terrano, for my liking.

Each to their own I suppose, and they do have a sort of retro appeal, but TBH, the standard U.K. 80 lights look better, and my replacement "Angels" better still.

JMHO :lol:.

IMG_6815.JPG

All the Aussie and SA / UN spec 80s have them I think - my GX and GXL 4500 both had them. Cheaper to replace one from a stone chip than the 'aero style' lights that the UK spec lights are called. And stone chips on a gravel road are plentiful so people tend to put acrylic covers on anyway...

I do like those of yours Clive. Do you still have model numbers available?

I've just checked the eBay link from my thread, where these came from and of course it's ended, Murph's law, and all that.

However, they're called "Angel Eye Halo" units and a search on eBay will likely find them from other suppliers.

The thread is a bit long I'm afraid and full of the usual nonsense and banter that makes this's forum so enjoyable, but it does give an insight into some of the general problems encountered when installing them.

I've never used LED headlights, but that has been mainly because LED technology has very recently developed, for headlamp use. I have HIDs fitted, and I love them, but although not quite so bright, I think LEDs may be a more practical route.

As for fitting, the unit wraps as one piece around and includes the side light lense. This is a good feature IMO, but it tends to create a slight problem where the side light part of the unit doesn't quite fill the aperture in the wing.

This can be overcome with some clever trim work, or you can ignore it like I have. Close inspection will show a gap of about 5mm maximum, so either live with it or do something, either way, it's a small compromise against the huge benefits of the beam they produce, it's fantastic compared with the OEM units.

Have a browse through the thread Gary.... :thumbup:

I highly recommend the change if you can find them.

As a follow-up on the above, here's a link and I guess there's more to be found to get the best deal. Mine are the clear version but it seems they do them in black and a blue shade, there may be more options now, if you do enough searching.

Take care to be clear in your order that you are RHD, they seem to overlook this rather important issue when they process orders. It depends on from where they are coming, a supplier in OZ for example would presume RHD, whereas a US supplier would be LHD by default. Just clarify this in your order, either are an option.

Mine are LHD as it happens.

DSC00349.jpg
This was my GXL - you can make out the acrylic covers I had over the headlights after having to replace one hit by a stone in Botswana...

Very nice looking truck.
Obvious why the covers are used, but they do take away the "look" of the seperate head lights. May as well upgrade to the uk ones.. er, hold on...

View attachment 126642 This was my GXL - you can make out the acrylic covers I had over the headlights after having to replace one hit by a stone in Botswana...

Those look like a good idea.

As mine are plastic (instead of stock glass) I've wrapped them in clear body-wrap, the same as the truck.

It offers good protection against scratching, but I doubt it would help with a flying rock :lol:

I had acrylic covers on the IPF spots I used to have, until the bodies of them rotted away. Like most auxiliary lights, they weren't cheap, so I was disappointed in them rotting through after 8 years on the truck.

As Ben posted above, they are a carry on from the 60 series, which the 80 replaced. :ugeek:

Its very rare to see an 80 series in Australia with the single, more modern lights that UK spec 80's got. Only the top of the range Sahara models got them in this market.

I think UK 80's were marketed very much against the Range Rover, hence why they got a lot of things other markets didnt get as they had to be marketed as a luxury 4wd station wagon. :icon-cool:

Where as here Toyota was competing against the Patrol and was already very much behind when the 80 came out as the 60 was massively out matched by the Patrol which had coils all round, disc brakes all round and was considerably cheaper than the 60, which was still riding on cart springs front and back and had rear drum brakes. :think:

Back