Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Thought I'd make my own adventure trailer...

Not quite with you on the idea there Shayne. Thing is that the tent MUST be physically attached to the trailer or it'll fall off on the motorway. The jacks do that and work in both directions so....if I wanted to shove a big squashy tent or bag or something under there I could and then wind the tent down onto it to hold it there.

I think there's a misunderstanding here on how long it takes to wind up. These are car jacks. They take 30 seconds to go from flat to full by hand and I'm using a drill. I'm not preparing to change the design at all. I've done. There's 4 jacks and they lift the tent. Motorising might be fun, but it's only a daft dream. Mk1 is the final version.

Last edited:
Like you said Chris, keep it simple, that's the ticket. :thumbup:

Brilliant chris
was wondering if you were going to lift the tent up..
someone else after one and wanting a maggie on it but with an overlall canopy so i need to make a way to lift the awning to the roof height of the maggie if youve any ideas :)

Hmm. Not sure about that. I know some hardshell tents have a sort of awning device; there were some at the show. But getting cover over the door and ladder isn't easy. One of the Maggie types does have a self supporting side room though, I remember. It's called a changing room I think. Personally on a trailer, I think a fold out is probably better. Packing it away from ground level is so much easier that doing up on the truck and fold outs are just nicer places to be. The pop tops are brilliant for one person to do a sleep and scoot on a road trip but aside from that, I wouldn't describe them as living quarters.

If the RTT is mounted on a frame like mine it does give you options to mount the awning in clever ways. However, If you wanted the awning level with the top of an open Maggie I don't think the legs would reach the ground. Here's the changing room thing and an awning.

Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 00.19.30.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 00.18.03.jpg

Nice idea there Chris I like it.

Simple and works. I also like the idea that something could be stored under the tent then the tent lowered down onto it. Having the fox wing I know how much stuff has to be carried with it and below the tent would be an ideal place to hide it all.

Cheers Karl. Thought about making some formal storage under there but then thought it might be better left as flexible space - just in case. Not a bad place to stick a spare wheel perhaps. Maybe long things like chairs. Certainly a solar panel.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As you say leaving it as it is can accommodate various items that can be swapped about as and when.

Good to see the trailer and cruiser today - albeit briefly as we passed each other heading opposite directions on the M9 ;)

Second I clocked the Lux, I thought aye aye, I bet I know who that is. Beep beep, oh, look I've a text ....
Trailer was awesome all weekend. Towed superbly and on the way uop gave me just shy of 21 mpg. On the way back, I topped up at Penrith and reach home 160 miles later with the needle on 3/4 of as tank. Unreal. Never had more the 125 miles at that point.

I have to drive about 4 miles of off road track to the shooting ground and it's very rough in places. No problem fro a Cruiser, but my mate in his Passat really struggled. When I opened the trailer, nothing was out of place. Even my beers weren't shaken up.

OK it has cart springs and dampers but you know it moves really well and never bounces over things. But then it's very heavy when fully loaded. It's not like a cheap garden trailer for taking stuff to the council tip. It's only an engine away from being a truck I reckon.

ARB Awning room came today. At bloody last. I only have the 1800 awning on the trailer but have the 2m on the green 80. I wanted to just offer it up before I bought another 2m awning for the trailer. Very pleased. It's a good thing and cheap too. I paid £135. Having the awning on the green one gives me even more versatility now. Trailer, Oz Tent, Awning tent, Roof ten etc etc. As it's a complete room, it's mossie proof (well ok) and also OK in wet weather as it has the awning over the top. Pretty useful. Been onto Direct 4x4 and ordered another 2 m one. Got some discount too.
Needs pegging out of course and it's baggy because of the small awning footprint.

Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 13.08.42.jpg

Reactions: Sag
Looks good Chris

Why was the room so cheap?

I thought that too Stu, then I realised I'd not added the vat. It was £162
I know it looks a bit shabby in the pics but it's really pretty smart. 2000 x 2500 so certainly big enough to all sit in with a table

I saw a advert for a awning and room and the company selling said that Tey don't make a good room for when it's raining. Which is what I and most other people would use them for surly.

Well I use the awning on its own int he rain and it's pretty good - and has been for years. So adding a room can't be a backward step. OK it's no Oz Tent, but it's only supposed to be a shelter. I haven't really bought it for poor weather, I have bought it for good weather. If it's banging it down then I'll put the Foxwing up and side panels. We know they're good. I did think about fitting a Foxy to the trailer as well. It would have given really good cover but nothing to keep the mossies out.

Back