Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Thought it was a wheel bearing going ...

grantw

Supporter
Out on a local run with that sounded like a wheel bearing on it's way out but was becoming worse much quicker (within miles) first onto more rumbling on corners and then onto a full wobble through the steering. I left it a little longer than normal to check as I was so close to home - this nearly proved a very costly mistake!

IMG_8564 (1).jpg

As my 80 was at the mechanics for 5 months(!!) and just had an MOT (where I don't think they would have touched the wheels) I have no idea when the wheel nuts where last checked or when the wheel was removed.

New wheel studs all around have been ordered.

Make sure it's not damaged the wheel grant.
One lucky guy.

A “near miss” in any event Grant, lucky in your bad luck, indeed!

A “near miss” in any event Grant, lucky in your bad luck, indeed!

Definitely Clive - I dread to think what damage the weight of one of those wheels would do even at 20mph.

Is the only cause of this the wheel nuts not being done up tight enough? Can stretched wheel studs cause them to come loose?

Definitely Clive - I dread to think what damage the weight of one of those wheels would do even at 20mph.

Is the only cause of this the wheel nuts not being done up tight enough? Can stretched wheel studs cause them to come loose?
Yeah If they've been overnight can stretch the stud causing them to come loose or snap

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So Milner wheel studs I did read some had trouble with them fitting but other than that no bad reports.

I was just getting my nephew to put the new replacement wheel nut onto the new studs, torque wrench set to 120NM and it sheared. I'm finding this quite concerning.

IMG_8594.jpg
IMG_8595.jpg

I'm trying to work out if I could have done something wrong but I keep coming up with a blank.

Some photos of an unfitted milner stud.

IMG_8596.jpg IMG_8597.jpg

You're not having much luck are you. I'd be very concerned about that as well :(

It doesn't seem so Jon .. just ordering some genuine ones from Roughtrax now. They only have 10 in stock though.

Have you contacted Milner Grant? That's pretty serious. Serious also in terms of their liability as the supplier of the product. If you need any help, I can assist by speaking to Carl directly should your tale fall on deaf ears.

A friend of mine had a wheel come off a land rover many years back. Lucky it didn't hurt anyone, but it did overtake him and went through a car showroom window writing off 2 cars. He was doing less than 30mph.

Close one Grant.

Bloody hell!
they even look like there made from cheap material..
you will see the difference when your genuine ones arrive.

Genuine all the way.

When will people take note.

These parts a pretty important.

I think that is kind of the reason I bought from Milners - as it is such a critical part no one should ever mess about with the quality and the 10.9 hardness.

Have you contacted Milner Grant? That's pretty serious. Serious also in terms of their liability as the supplier of the product. If you need any help, I can assist by speaking to Carl directly should your tale fall on deaf ears.

Thanks Chris - I've emailed them and will be returning all the wheel studs I've purchased. I did try and snap another one by putting it into the vice and torquing it up to well beyond what this one ever saw ... but it did hold up. Obviously something like this you really can't take a chance on though.

Milner have responded - with them thinking that 109 ft/lb is too tight ... but they are still looking into it :think:

109 ft/lbs? That is a LOT. Is that what they're supposed to be done to? I have to confess I never torque wheel nuts, I nip them like I have since I was a lad and I've never experienced one come loose. With the lug wrench you get in the tool kit, I doubt the average motorist would be able to hit that figure unless they jumped up and down on the handle.

109 ft/lbs? That is a LOT. Is that what they're supposed to be done to? I have to confess I never torque wheel nuts, I nip them like I have since I was a lad and I've never experienced one come loose. With the lug wrench you get in the tool kit, I doubt the average motorist would be able to hit that figure unless they jumped up and down on the handle.

It's what the internets says ... I didn't want to take any chances with the new studs after the wheel almost coming off. It's much tighter than I've ever done them in the past and I must admit it has been sitting in the back of my mind maybe I didn't do them up tight enough using tool kit lug wrench last time I had them off ... you would really struggle getting them to that tightness with it.

https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/wheel-nut-torque-on-80.130001/
http://www.overland-cruisers.co.uk/preparation-guide/workshop-guides/common-torque-settings/

Time to check it in the FSM to make sure.

I couldn't find the FSM for the 80 series in the downloads section here .. though i'm sure it used to be there.

I found this PDF:
https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM60693U/pdf/omsource/1996om/96landom/sect8/81.pdf
which says:
Wheel nut torque, N⋅m (kgf⋅m, ft⋅lbf):
Steel wheels 147 (15, 108)
Aluminum wheels 103 (10.5, 76)

So it was too tight for alloy wheels ... but not too tight for the studs as that is the specification for the steel wheels.

So I guess that is what they are supposed to be at :think:

Back