Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

thoughts and opinion wanted on rear drawer storage.

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
so put the finishing touches to these today, I'm interested on peoples opinions and thoughts good or bad.

they are made from a good quality plywood and come with no finish to the plywood so you can choose your own. be it clear varnish, matt black paint or carpet the choice is yours.

they are very well made with notched housings and bolted direct to the 3rd row seat floor anchor points.

the drawers slide on plastic sliders so there are no mechanical parts that can get clogged up or jam.

the drawers will be sent 98% assembled with only the "wing" brackets and drawer fronts requiring fixing.

the version pictured is £480 posted to your door.

without hinges, magnetic catches and handles, £450 to your door.

pick up from staffs, £400.

these will be made to order.
rear storage.jpg
rear storage  2.jpg
rear storage 1.jpg
rear storage 3.jpg
rear storage 4.jpg
rear storage 5.jpg
rear storage 6.jpg

there is plenty of room underneath the wings, even if you decide to screw them down, up to the wheel arch can be reached from the back of the vehicle.

Last edited:
Hi Chapel gate, Nice work! I am an old wood working guy and these look very well made. Interestly, I have been in the research mode on sliding drawers for my 94 Land Cruiser for the past few weeks trying to decide what to buy or build. Because of the high expense normally to buy including shipping costs, I am leaning toward building my own. That said, I have been looking at what material (wood, steel or aluminium) should they made out of and what kind of slides (these can be a high expense item depending on what you choose to use). My goal was to find some happy medium in considering the following: ease of use, custom professional look, strength to hold up to repeated opening and closings, handle lots of additional storage (up to 1000 lbs) on top, total finished weight of system, maximizing available cubic space of drawer storage, one man operation to both install and remove the completed system and finally the cost of materials to build. As you have obviously done you decided to go all wood with plastic slides and that is the most economical choice. (See the well made systems Drifta makes (http://www.drifta.com.au) out of Australia, that is what they do too). Since I also have fabrication skills I can choose all steel, aluminium, wood or some combination of materials. I haven't made a final decision yet.

Since you are based in UK , I would expect shipping cost to USA would be very high. But still I would be interested in if your prices above include shipping to Seattle ,WA, USA area? If not, what would that additional cost be?

These look really good. I had something similar in my old discovery (although very basic by comparison as my woodworking skills are laughable).

Do these sit on top of the carpet or is it better removed? And do you think the drawers would be strong enough if filled with tools? I currently put everything in ammo boxes which have reached an incredible weight. And in a 80 series would you still be able to access the storage areas in the sides? Looks like you would once the flaps are hinged open?

Cheers, rob

it sits
These look really good. I had something similar in my old discovery (although very basic by comparison as my woodworking skills are laughable).

Do these sit on top of the carpet or is it better removed? And do you think the drawers would be strong enough if filled with tools? I currently put everything in ammo boxes which have reached an incredible weight. And in a 80 series would you still be able to access the storage areas in the sides? Looks like you would once the flaps are hinged open?

Cheers, rob

they sit on top of the carpet, they are very sturdy, but not quite military spec!

I have not overly looked at the 80s series yet, but the ones in the 100 series can be opened with the flaps open and shut.

Back