Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Thoughts on BFG mud terrain tyres for the arctic

grantw

Supporter
Hi Guys,
I'm considering driving to northern Norway (Tromso) for Christmas to hopefully see the northern lights. Currently I have 33" BFG mud terrain tyres (KM1) and trying to work out if these would be ok to drive on the normal roads up there in the general conditions ... or if the thought is just suicidal. I won't be going off road at all so don't need extreme performance ... just a level of safety. They are marked M&S (mud & snow) but would rather know what real world performance on the black stuff is like.

I of course would have snow chains fitted when conditions called for it ... but obviously don't want to be doing hundreds of miles on these.

Thanks,
Grant

No way at all would I go on muddies.

After almost 2 years in Oslo, muddies on the black-stuff, with or without snow and ice would be no fun at all.

BFG AT are very widely used, and I have seen many a folk, cut additional slits into the tread blocks to divide them into 3.

So on each BFG tread block, they had a very sharp Stanley blade, at the end of a vertical strong metal handle type blade gripper.

They just carefully forced this into each of the dozens of tread-blocks on each tyre, one, by one, by one, by one,

Gra.

Thanks Gra. After a few long trips I'm very happy how these m/t tyres are on the black stuff. It's more how the compound will go once it's down to minus 10c. Its kind of reassuring that the bfg a/t are used widely. I wonder if they're the same compound?

Back