Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

thoughts on copper brake pipes.

Shayne, re the polishing, I think a job in the pub bogs would be a good idea.............no offence intended!

I'd have done it without question back then Andy , 27 year old and fitter than anyone has a right to be , i woke up in a bed with a cage around me to keep the blankets off , it was about 3 weeks before they admitted they wouldn't operate because "nobody can survive that kind of impact". My theory is they were trying to finish me off with idle boredom :violin:

There's a great pic of me somewhere though in a pub sat in a wheelchair clearly marked DO NOT REMOVE FROM WARD 7 :lol:

the tube is brake tube. theres a load of it hanging on a six inch nail, has been for 20 years!
like I said there only going to be on for the short term. I'm replacing everything with new oem. putting new handbrake shoes in today.

@Gary Stockton, I would consider just buying genuine pipes. if your making your own, you might not have much of that week off left.. the Toyota ones have lasted 20 years.

as to size the pipe went in the 3/16 grip on the flaring tool. so oem I would of thought will be 5mm.

I replace copper piping on a regulare base & fit cunifer.
In salty conditions such as we have over here & in the cold, the copper is "one time use only"
Every time I attempt to undo a fitting, I shear a pipe.

FYI; In Germany (among others) copper brake pipes is a HUGE no-go....& a MOT failure... Just saying

FYI; In Germany (among others) copper brake pipes is a HUGE no-go....& a MOT failure... Just saying

Interesting, the MOT station in Spain is run by german TUV Rheinland, copper pipe IS allowed but must meet a certain standard, the pipe is marked accordingly.

Given they are trying to align the spanish system with german standards I find it odd Germany does not allow copper?

Regards

Dave

Let me correct myself then; TüV Nord does not accept copper pipes.
AFAIK TüV Süd is the same, I`d have to ask my TüV Süd contact spesifically.
I know this is a subject / topic especially when older cars are being brought in from the UK.
As there are now 3 (-4) very different approval companies in Germany & the rules differ from Bundesland to Bundesland I do see that my statement can be reason for argument.

BTW; TüV Süd are supposed to be "in charge" in Turkey too, but the standards differ significantly from those applicable in Schwarz-Rot-Gold...o_O

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Anyone gone for stainless ?
I'm just waiting for an advisory as an excuse to swap it all out once and for all.

You`de have to look at the quality. They will be a genuine bitch to flare...........

Back in the day I was considering seemless hydraulic pipes for this on my teen boy racer. Had alot of buddies @ work who also where petrol heads that convinced me not to do it.

Stainless tends to be brittle so flaring almost certainly would cause fractures.

I have seen SS fittings but not pipe.

Regards

Dave

Stainless tends to be brittle so flaring almost certainly would cause fractures.
I have seen SS fittings but not pipe.

We ran (replaced) a fair few 10000 meters of SS pipe on a job some 10 years ago. We did flare them.
They where industrial grade 316 (+ something) & intended for instrument purposes.
We had an hydraulic flaring tool.
Otherwise there was no chance.

I have neither come across SS "brakelines" as such...

Some good info fellas.

im changing some of mine because of an advisory, ill do the rest next year including flexis all done then. Im going all oem. There really is a fair bit of work in making up all of your own, and if i have to change them every 20 years its not to bad..

Me too CG due to an advisory. Will take the opportunity to fit 50mm extended flexible pipes ready for a future suspension upgrade.

So is CuNiFer the preference?

All that being said; I rescently worked on some brake pipes on a LC100
As we all know they tend to come with some funny shapes & tricks...
At the end I figured -> Screw this, buy from Toyota. The price was most reasonable IMO & made life very easy.

I still very so often make uf new brake lines using CuNiFer, but just wanted to say that every now & then the genuine stuff aint bad value for money either

Back