Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

thump noise under rear of landcruiser

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
During Morocco trip my landcruiser developed a dull "thump" - "knock" noise when going over bumps

it seems to be drivers side rear.

I have check ARB links, shocks, coils springs, and even replaced the coils when we got home with the less stiff ones i use when not loaded,
no cracks on axle/suspension mounts
top control arms new, and still secure
panard arm mounts look ok and arm seems secure
there was slight play in drivers side lower control arm, fitted new polybushes tonight, noise still occurs :(
the bolt on control holes didn't look oval, and there was no evidence of disturbance of dirt around the bolt/nut head to indicate it had been moving
will do passenger side and panard arms too as the bushes are perished.
fuel tank straps secure and no movement, same with asfir bash plate
swung exhaust around - noise didnt occure

jack is secure and all boot storage system

drivers side rear chassis/body mount looks a bit perished, but i wedged a piece of wood between chassis and body,
noise remains

rear door seems secure and spare tyre on tight and has been swapped with GG AT2 since i got back from morocco

driving me mad, anything obvious i have missed?

Last edited:
Dwarf with a hammer in the glove box?

Easily missed.

Have you tried checking the rear door hinge with the door almost closed up against the stop. Its a bit tight to get your fingers under the lip but I found that the bottom hinge is worn and only shows up when I checked it this way. I had a knock from the back and checked the door when it was fully opened and found nothing obvious. Then noticed that the door was lifting up onto the lock stay so just opened it off the stay and put my fingers in under the door and found I could lift it up and down on the bottom hinge. Might be what your looking for Andy.

No Dwarf Chris.
But we christened the noise, Mohammed with a hammer in Morocco. . .

Thanks Steve. Will try checking back door hinge when door almost closed. Going to pull out storage system and remove spare tyre too.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

had a moment spare before I headed for station this morning
yes, when door almost closed, i can lift the edge of the door furthest away from hinge up a bit - there is some play/slack
so could be that
i would be suprised though, as its quite a loud noise when driving
but these things can be amplified etc

i will take spare off to reduce weight on door, and have a fettle to see if i can wedge door and see if that eliminates the noise

going to replace panard arm and nearside lower control arm bushes too - since i have the parts, dont think its them causing noise, but the bushes are pretty perished so need replacing.

My money would be on lower control arm bushes. I know you said you checked them but it takes huge force to really do that - like a Cruiser sitting on them. I had this for ages and finally found the problem. Sounds like you have been there before with the old washer trick.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
new bushes fitted to driver side lower control arm last night Chris, and i did detect play in one of these bushes and noise seems to be on this side - but as you know these noises can trick you as regards to location
and the noise still occurs having changed these...
i plan to change the bushes on other side too, just havent had time yet

What about body to chassis mounts? It is possible that something's adrift on a body mounting at the rear. Just a idea... :think:

Yeah Clive, i am suspecting the rear offside one. Need to try and drive a wedge in to isolate it

Hi there i recognize the problem and have been busy with it for several months now. First with my local garage here in Hungary and the problem is still there , i went to the Toyota dealer.
So far the shocks , stabilizer rubbers were renewed and last week all the stabilizer arms !!
The problem is still there .
Now we suspect the rear rubbers between chassis and body, they look worn out so i ordered new ones .
Expect them monday and will keep you posted is the problem is finally solved.

Last edited:
Look forward to your result mokus.
Just finished replacing bushes on passenger side lower rear control arm tonight.
Havent test driven as dont think it was cause. Bushes very perished but only slighty loose.

this evening I replaced the panard arm bushes, old ones were not too bad...

so thats both lower control arm bushes done, panard arm and upper arms were new in summer
ARB links solid and the stirrup bushes were new in august

took out most of my boot-storage drawer storage system and rack
and removed spare tyre off back

the bang/thump remains going over bumps... GRRRR

I had a thump like this ages ago. Also was CONVINCED it was from the rear left/right cant remember which. Took to to Greg at Land Cruisers Overland. He and his pals were also totally puzzled where it could be coming from. Checked everything. Changed everything.

Turned out it was the ROOF RACK :doh: it was a rack bolted to Thule bars and they were not tight and the noise mysteriously travelled down and sounded like it was from under the car.

wish it was roof rack - but thats hanging up in shed
and the jack is also sitting in garage!

Today the rear rubbers between frame and body were renewed.......PROBLEM SOLVED !!!
And together with all earlier replacements of stabelizers and shocks, the car drives like new , without thump noises or whatsoever.:icon-biggrin:
So you might take a loke at those rubbers at your car , like also Clive sugested , maybe it`s the same problem !
Good luck !

Last edited:
thats good news mokus

were these the frame mounts right at rear?
where they easy to replace?

i think back door maybe cause of noise in mine.
i replaced lower hinge pin with a bolt and it seems less noisy now

Yes Andy, the mounts just behind the rear bumper.
I didn`t replace them myself , the Toyota dealer did but talking to the mechanic it was a tough job.:oops:

succes !

Just to revive this thread I have replaced both door hinges and it's still got the thudding noise from the back, doing my head in

Bugger. I was convinced it was them as noise occurred more when driving over bumps on right side than left. I also wedged some rubber strip under door when closing it as a test and this seemed to stop the noise.

To recap
All rear bushings replaced on control arms and panard arm and rear ARB.

Only thing I can think of is chassis to body mounts. I wedged a piece of wood between chassis and body as a test on rear righty mount - no difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has the bump stop come adrift underneath?

Back