Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

thump noise under rear of landcruiser

i dont think so Trevor, I swapped-out the rear Springs after Morocco and noise remained,
vehicle also MOT'd in December which would have picked up anything major

Is the tailgate closing tight to the seals?

I'm imagining the tailgate being closed and latched, but needing adjustment to pull it in a bit tighter.

I've got doors on mine, but had the same trouble. The bumping almost drove me nuts, and there was visibly nothing wrong to see. Only a mm was enough to cure it. And, TBH, I shut it up even though the hinges were shot, but I do appreciate your concern over the hinges being horizontal.

Just a thought. :icon-biggrin:

Not to sure where to go next apart from the latch guide located under the latch is all bent and quite worn, so I have ordered a new one just to see if that helps

one thing to try would be to get a gang of strong guys to bounce the vehicle up-down to see if you can replicate the noise?
i disconnected shocks to make it easier to bounce the vehicle, and tried rocking it but couldn't get it to make noise
but i guess that's because it wasn't getting jolted when going this

fuel tank is solid, as is fuel tank bash plate (it made noise even when i removed bash plate)

body-chassis mounts is only other thing i can think of?

I always put the clunking sound down to either my toolbox bouncing or my jack which still lives behind the panel where the original was .

[QUOTE

body-chassis mounts is only other thing i can think of?[/QUOTE]
Is it right they are a pain to replace??

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
seems they might be cwc...

Yes Andy, the mounts just behind the rear bumper.
I didn`t replace them myself , the Toyota dealer did but talking to the mechanic it was a tough job.:oops:

succes !

I answered this on the "other" Forum, copy and paste below, happy to give you a hand if you need to tackle it.

Had to sort this out on a friends Collie, Toyota show 2 different part numbers for the rear mounting and the RHS part is now obsolete. However both parts are actually identical so buy 2 left hand mounts.

You will probably need to buy the bolts and bushes as well, as these tend to be rusted and shot away, the bush comes in 2 parts.

Remove the rear bumper plastic and mud flaps, undo the body mount bolts or grind them off, then grind off the old body mounts back to the chassis, you may need to plate the chassis a bit as the rust may have taken hold where the mount meets it. Then weld the new mounts onto the chassis, insert bushes and bolt and tighten.

You may need to use a trolley jack and wood to lift the body a few mm to allow the bushes to slide into place, it's a pig of a job to be honest.

To save some costs, as you will be digging deep for the Toyota parts. I would say that 2 of you should be able to to get the old bolts/bushes out yourself. Top access for the bolts are behind the boot plastic trims right in the corner of the floor.

There will be a hole with a foam stuffing that once removed will reveal he top of the bolt, its fairly deeply recessed and has an odd washer with 2 lugs that locate into metal clips to stop it from turning. If these look in reasonable nick, you can knock these off the bolt with a hammer and reuse.

You can just get a standard grinder in to grind off the body mounts, have a 4lb lump hammer and small bolster chisel to help removal of the mounts.

Once you've got this far then bring in a mobile welder to put the new mounts back on and any plating that might need doing. Don't forget to paint it all afterwards.

We managed to do the prep in one longish day before our welder chap turned up. we are home DIY'ers and not in the garage trade so it's definitely doable.

In our case we bought the LHS body mount and then got a local guy to fabricate a copy for the other side to keep costs down, but we noticed when we offered up the Toyota LHS mount on the RHS that it would fit just fine.

Is there a reliable way to determine if a mount is worn out?

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

In my mates case, the mount had snapped and once you got your head up underneath you could see it. I can only guess if the mount is ok and it's rubber bushes then probably have someone physically sit in the boot while driving over bumpy ground to see if they can feel or hear which side it's coming from through the floor?

Thanks Trevor Humber Chris is making me a rear bumper will have a look at it when it is fitted, but tbh I still think it's the dam door

Has this thump still been cured since you fitted new hinges and rear door catch ?

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

Most likely a body mount, mine had a thump when full of fuel and it was the n/s/r bidy mount.

Mick

Back