Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Thuraya repair

SpinDrift

Supporter
Garage
A couple if weeks ago i tried to charge and switch on my Thuraya XT sat phone but got no response from it. Normally the screen lights up shortly after connecting the charger. I tried the spare battery and got the same lack of response. Thinking it might be the charger, i checker the output voltage and it reads 5.1v, so I think it is fine.

The self help diagnosics on their websites suggests replacing the battery as a first step. I managed to track one down from a UK vendor, but the phone is still dead.

I have now written to Thuraya asking for the address of a UK/Europe service centre to send the phone in for repair. They have told me to send it to their centre in Dubai via DHL. Shipping it out is going to cost £50. Presumably the return will be the same. So that is £100 before any work is actually done on the phone - the phone is out of warranty, so I will have to pay for the repairs as well.

My question is: does anyone know of a reliable company in the UK where they repair satellite phones, specifically Thurayas? (not one of the many corner stores that unlock phones please)

If you get stuck SD, I have been known to fix things and would happily take a look if you're not too short on time. Can't guarantee I'd fix it but it wouldn't be any worse after I had it.

How long did you leave the charger connected before you unplugged it again? If not long I'd plug it in again and wait longer then try a press of the power button. I think if the battery is flat enough it takes a while to get enough charge into it to be able to light up the screen.

I left it to charge overnight with the new battery. A normal charge should only take a couple of hours. I'll try charging it again.

Thanks for the offer starcruiser

Hi Jon. Ive now left the phone cgarging for some 30 hours with the new battery but its still not switching on. Ill see if i can try a different charger.

I was thinking more like 1 hour should have been more than enough to get some sign of life if the charger is working, fingers crossed it's a charger problem not phone.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi. I've only just seen this thread. When I need Sat phones I hire them from https://www.cellhire.co.uk/ who are based in York. I tend to get Iridium or Inmarsat phones from them but I'm sure if you give them a call they might be able to help or at least point you in the right direction.

Rob

Back