Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ticking noise

warrenpfo

Hey chaps one for those wiser than I am which makes most of you. I have done an oil change and now have a ticking noise. It may be coincidence but i have gone from oem oil filter to GUD (which seems what everyone uses here) and am using 15w-40 Delo 400 oil once again what has been recommended to me by those here in SA.

Here is it

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1hayqoZjhMG

its on the drivers side of the engine but listening to parts of the engine with a metal rod too my ear i have still not fond it. Sounds like the clicking of a gas ignitor.

Let me know your thoughts

thanks

What oil were you using before? Was it thicker then you have now? I have heard this a few times with different vehicles.
Stu

Stu i think it was 10-40 but can not be 100% certain. I am trying to track down the receipt.

Coincidence. I thought all cruisers had the gas igniter sound? Mine always has.

Hi Warren, this has been done to death before if you do a search, i had exactly the same problem with mine, 80's should run 10/40 semi, stick 15/40 in & they tick.

Ok back to 10/40 it is then on the next change. In the mean time does anyone know what the ticking is??

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My ticking turned out to be a problem with the cold start device, not connected with the oil change but worth a note. IIRC the correct oil is 5/30 for colder climates and 10/40 for warmer, I use 10/40, 36 -38c all this week I think warrants 10/40 :icon-biggrin:

regards

Dave

I use 10/40 and have a brand new acsd. She still ticks as good as ever...

I use 10/40 and have a brand new acsd. She still ticks as good as ever...

Mine drove me nuts when exiting the underground car park, the tick bounced off the walls, threw the ACSD and silence....well as silent as a 12v is. The oil change/appearance of the tick is documented in other forums as well. It is interesting that that the D4-D engine in many Toyota's specifically calls for a 15/40 oil (Toyota adds a sticker to the rocker cover), using 10/40 make them tick. I was called out to investigate one of these occurrences on the 200 truck. Eventually it transpired that the Toyota dealer had put in 10/40 oil. Taking this up with the guy at the counter, he explained that they (Toyota) due to a cost cutting exercise only keep two oils now, 5/30 fully synthetic for petrol engines and 10/40 semi synthetic for diesels. Pointing out the sticker on the rocker stating that this engine ONLY uses 15/40 oil he simply shrugged his shoulders! I also pointed out that the customer returned the car to the service department to investigate the tick and was told 'they all do that'!

The customer purchased a new OE oil filter and we then went and purchased the correct grade of oil, drain and refill, tick disappeared immediately, vehicle has never seen the Toyota service department again, that was around 5/6 years ago, serviced every year with the correct oil and not a tick...ever.

A couple of years later and a Toyota Corolla with the D4-D engine and pretty much identical circumstances and the same resolution but different dealer.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
I believe every word you say dave, but mine still ticks :icon-smile:

I ran her for a couple of months without the acsd. Just the same.

Your right Chris, many comments about it been seen over the years. One thing that did occur to me way back is the heavier oil creating excessive pressure and lifting the oil pressure relief valve, the pressure drops instantly and the valve 'clicks' closed again, the pressure rises and the valve opens ad infinitum.

So another possibility there, I was fortunate to find mine was the ACSD, they are known to fail and cause pump damage.

regards

Dave

Perhaps a discussion for another thread but seen as i have a choke as well as ASCD is there any harm in removing it (ASCD) and rely on the choke for cold starting?

Forgive me my ignorance here, but what exactly has oil viscosity to do with the ACSD? Or are we talking two different ticks here? If the tick was to do with the ACSD, changing the oil would have no effect, surely? Out if interest, i'm running 10/40 Morris' Multivis and have done for years with no tick. I think they even suggest a 5w/40, though I would need to confirm that.

Perhaps a discussion for another thread but seen as i have a choke as well as ASCD is there any harm in removing it (ASCD) and rely on the choke for cold starting?

AFAIK you do not have a choke, you do have a fast idle lever but that does not improve/aid cold starting.

regards

Dave

Forgive me my ignorance here, but what exactly has oil viscosity to do with the ACSD? Or are we talking two different ticks here? If the tick was to do with the ACSD, changing the oil would have no effect, surely? Out if interest, i'm running 10/40 Morris' Multivis and have done for years with no tick. I think they even suggest a 5w/40, though I would need to confirm that.

Yep you are right, oil and ACSD tick not related, have another read through and all will be clear....I think? :icon-biggrin:

regards

Dave

Back