Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tickover drops on hills?

Josh Tagg

Country Flag
uk
For the past 2 nights I've been testing the car up and down dale, all seems well apart from a slight niggle. If pulled up at a junction facing uphill the revs drop? I'm not sure if it stalls as I daren't let it in case won't start. Perfectly fine idle when on flat or downhill and driving uphill it pulls well. Any ideas would be grateful ta

Thank you, seems to be a commonish problem, am I suspecting a weak lift pump? It has done just shy of 200k?

I guess you have the clutch down when you stop? The fump has an idle up on it. I don't understand the ins and outs but that makes a difference. Also what's the pump set at for normal idle? If it's a little low before you start that might not help.
As tp says though. People put a second pump on to help. I've been recently advised that they don't do much after mine had packed up.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers karl ill check tonight see if clutch up or down makes a difference. Tickover is about 600rpm I think, its certainly not high anyway. Seems the lift pump is part of the main fuel pump then? That's why its easier to add a pusher pump to help I'm assuming

Set tickover to around 750.

Yes you only have the main diesel pump on an 80. Ovbiously check/ clean your pick up filter in the tank under the seats if you haven't already done so.
Personally I think with the tickover turned up you will notice a big difference.

The IP on the one you had the wings off was reconditioned before the engine expired and probably not done 200 miles since it was fitted if its any help Josh. I'll look after you on that one as its a bit spare to my requirements being a manual.

I also have recon and non recon pumps josh if you decided to go down that route so it would be worth comparing prices.

Personally don't think you need a pump but I could turn out wrong.

There are vacuum powered idle up actuators for the air con and power steering but not one for the clutch, at least not on mine there isn't.

There are vacuum powered idle up actuators for the air con and power steering but not one for the clutch, at least not on mine there isn't.

Think the 24v are different tp.
The 24v clutch has a different peddle that has a spring to assist it to make it lighter

Last edited:
Back