Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Till the wheels fall off !!

hopeless wanderer

Country Flag
england
Happily trundling along at 70mph in the middle lane and the front drivers wheel comes off .
Steering is fine and manage to steer onto the hard shoulder.
Really pissed up the plans but it's nice to be alive and well.
See attached pic of what happens when you use your disc as a wheel.

image.jpeg

No they d0n't undo themselves. I've had a near miss twice in my life. Both times I heard a rumbling noise which alerted me to the problem. If the nuts are stiff but not done right up one can wear the wheel.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No they d0n't undo themselves. I've had a near miss twice in my life. Both times I heard a rumbling noise which alerted me to the problem. If the nuts are stiff but not done right up one can wear the wheel.

They've been fine and I haven't touched them which is what makes me suspect someone had a go at taking the wheels.

Nasty experience, good that you're ok and hope the damage isn't too bad. And that if someone did have a go, they get hit by a loose wheel one day !

Dude. Arrrgghhhh!

Horrendous. Don't know what to say. Glad you're all OK. Damn

Be nice to see them caught and charged with attempted murder but we all know that's wishful thinking on both counts even if they were on CCTV .

Count your blessings eh at least your still around to be pissed off about it .

Happily trundling along at 70mph in the middle lane and the front drivers wheel comes off .
Steering is fine and manage to steer onto the hard shoulder.
Really pissed up the plans but it's nice to be alive and well.
See attached pic of what happens when you use your disc as a wheel.

View attachment 109964
Glad to see you got out of it OK.
I had a wheel drop off on the A3 on the way to a bit of green laning, in my case it was the bearing breaking up and overheating there was no hard shoulder where it happened but there was quite an area in the middle up against the central reservation. The wheel flying off made a mess of the wing, I was amazed I was still able to steer to the middle. The disc looks flat at the bottom but it had just melted the tarmac. The convoy had a series one LR who's max speed was 50mph, so slower than you. My disc suffered no damage but it was on tarmac were you on concrete?

Three wheels on my wagon.

Three Wheels On My Wagon.JPG

Ouch, that looks like a brown-trouser moment :scared-yipes:

As above, glad everyone's safe, including the truck!

Is the damage limited to what we can see, just a new disc ?

Back plates will usually bash back into an acceptable shape, but often the last turns of the wheel nuts / studs get torn off as they let go under load.

Never lost a wheel, except a trailer wheel, and when they nicked my XR3i then they took the lot, including the spare.

What to say, lucky in your bad luck... :thumbup:

Glad to see you got out of it OK.
I had a wheel drop off on the A3 on the way to a bit of green laning, in my case it was the bearing breaking up and overheating there was no hard shoulder where it happened but there was quite an area in the middle up against the central reservation. The wheel flying off made a mess of the wing, I was amazed I was still able to steer to the middle. The disc looks flat at the bottom but it had just melted the tarmac. The convoy had a series one LR who's max speed was 50mph, so slower than you. My disc suffered no damage but it was on tarmac were you on concrete?

Three wheels on my wagon.

View attachment 109976

Wow that looks a lot worse than mine.
I let the speed scrub off slowly and didn't brake till I got to the hard shoulder. It was concrete as far as I could see.
The spare bounced into the central reservation and stopped 30m ahead of where I stopped, couple of Yorkshire's finest reversed down the hard shoulder and made a rolling roadblock and retrieved the wheel for me .

Bad enough when you get a tyre blow out like I did. But a wheel off. But of course having the centre viscous coupling, look on the bright side, you still had four wheel drive.

Where were you when it happened - where are you now?

Glad that didn't end up worse. Was there any warning?
I too had a tyre go at 70 on the M62. Fortunately a rear so I wondered what a front going would be like. I was amazed how well behaved the truck was.

Bad enough when you get a tyre blow out like I did. But a wheel off. But of course having the centre viscous coupling, look on the bright side, you still had four wheel drive.

Where were you when it happened - where are you now?

I was near Knaresbrough on the A1
I got recovered after hanging the wheel on two studs so the guy could winch it onto the flatbed.
Got him to recover me back home so I'll give it new studs and head south on a hire car tomorrow.

It was
Glad that didn't end up worse. Was there any warning?
I too had a tyre go at 70 on the M62. Fortunately a rear so I wondered what a front going would be like. I was amazed how well behaved the truck was.

It was nothing like I imagined,
It moved smoothly to the shoulder with no drama, I even had time to reassure the girlfriend that it was fine. All the weight and momentum maybe helped keep it moving forward.

Was there any warning?

Nope not a thing apart from wheel wobble maybe a minute beforehand.

Glad you came out unharmed, these things could always have ended up much worse. Truck doesn't look to bad too.

On the plus side, I'd rather have a wheel let go on one of these than something else. It's surprisingly how much control you still have. I had a front blowout a few months ago. Hit a semi truck rim on the motorway doing about 85-90. Rim smashed on impact. There was very little drama inside and I actually limped half a mile down with the truck on the hard shoulder to find somewhere safe to stick the spare on. I should mention as well that in my case running low profile tyres probably helped me because the drop wasn't that much compared to a higher sidewall tire.

IMG_8803.JPG

Back